Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Question re Nook Color screen

I've got a simple question: Is the Nook color screen (the backlit LCD screen) the same as the iPad's except smaller?

If not, what's the difference?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I think it might be slightly higher res, but it should be very much like the iPad screen which is fantastic to read on.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I've asked my question prematurely. I'll raise this issue again after folks have the Nook Colors in their hands.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I think the iPad also uses an LG IPS panal, as does the Nook, resolutions are slighty different, both are and should be fantastic to look at. Bot to answer your question, yes they both use the same back lit LCD tech
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
miguelt678
miguelt678 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
The iPad is obviously bigger, but I don't know about pixel density or anything. I can tell you however, that the nook is a beautiful device and the screen is great. Both for books and magazine, the latter are amazing. Also, PDF's display very well which was one of the reasons I bought the NC.
miguelt678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
The Nook Color has a slightly lower resolution(*) screen than the iPad at 1024x600 (compared to 1024x768). However, the screen is so much smaller so the resulting picture is sharper.

As already stated, they are both using essentially the same screen technology.

(*) Resolution is the number of actual dots you can draw.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
From techworld.com:
"The NookColor's 1024-by-600-pixel display carries a pixel density of 169 pixels per inch (PPI). The pixel density can affect how letters appear on the display. In use, letters looked very readable, similar to those on the Samsung Galaxy Tab and far better than those on the iPad's 132 PPI, but not quite as distinct and smooth as those on the Apple iPhone 4 which has 326 PPI."

From B&N.com:
"Stunning 7 inch VividView™ Color Touchscreen shows more than 16 million colors on the best-in-class IPS** display.
Incredibly clear, sharp text and images from an unsurpassed high resolution display at 1024 x 600 delivering 169 pixels per inch (PPI).
Reduced glare and optimum brightness for reading indoors or outside.
Backlit for easy reading day or night."

From apple.com:
"9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously"
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Thanks Logan and Mare! That answers my question.