Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #14446
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just started Hal Junior: The Secret Signal by our own Simon Haynes; he of the Hal Spacejock series. The Hal Junior series was written with young audiences in mind, but as I've discovered 1/3 the way through; it's fun for all ages.
Finished it, loved it, a bit lighter than Hal Spacejock, but I guess when you're writing for teenagers the endings are expected to be a bit more cheerful.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #14447
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
In the middle of the newest John Sandford 'Virgil Flowers' book, "End Game." It's genuine Virgil!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #14448
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now I'm reading The Keeper's Price by Marion Zimmer Bradly et al., an authorised collection of short Darkover stories by various authors that I got in a Fictionwise 60% off sale.
Which was an interesting set of stories, the first official Darkover fan-fiction collection, from well before she had her infamous problem with fan fiction.

Next up was: Why Are You Atheists So Angry? by Greta Christina.

A good little book which explains things well.

And now: A Step Farther Out by Jerry Pournelle. A collection of science fact articles from the early 1970s. I might abandon this is it turns out to be too dated. I got it in a bundle four years ago. Its about time I took a look!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #14449
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Robert A. Heinlein & Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Small Favor was a real re-read pleasure. Loved it!

Now a short break in The Dresden Files to read a 1964 novel by Robert A. Heinlein, Farnham's Freehold, an apocalyptic and mostly post-apocalyptic tale starting in the early 60's. It's actually a re-read for me as I've previously read pretty much eveything that Heinlein wrote. But I don't normally call anything I read pre-Kindle a re-read.

Robert A. Heinlein's Farnham's Freehold was a real blast. No wonder it was my favorite book back there in my dim past when it was first published! I sure did forget almost everything beyond the most main plot points (and some of them too)!

I've already read two chapters of Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's Carmilla between my readings of other books, so now I'm going to finish it.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-25-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #14450
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...I've already read two chapters of Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's Carmilla between my readings of other books, so now I'm going to finish it.

If you like it, be sure and let Jon know.
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #14451
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I'm reading Kate Morton's new book, The Secret Keepers. I have chronic migraines and have been having trouble getting headache-free time to read, but I'm plugging away when able.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #14452
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I've just started The Case of the Backward Mule by Erle Stanley Gardner. I'll be starting chapter 7 of 22 in a moment, and so far no sighting of Perry, Della, or Paul.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #14453
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I'm reading Kate Morton's new book, The Secret Keepers. I have chronic migraines and have been having trouble getting headache-free time to read, but I'm plugging away when able.
I hope you feel better soon

I still haven't settled on what to read and have been opening, reading a little, and closing various books. Just can't seen to find anything to hold my attention yet.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #14454
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are going to think of Rawhide, think of the Blues Brothers singing the theme and if you do that, get a hold of the movie and have a go. Very good movie.
Seen it six or seven times. You are right about the Rawhide scene - very funny.

Currently reading Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain. The second in the Gretchen Lowell serial killer series, a very compelling character.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #14455
specsavage
specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Finished up reading (again) the entire Honor Harrington series a few days ago, and have just about finished going through the Liaden books again, and will start the new eARC in an hour or so. After that, I think I'll go with David R. Palmer's Emergence and Tracking, the sequel. No, they aren't commercially available--I made them about ten years back from my dead tree editions.
specsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #14456
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I hope you feel better soon

I still haven't settled on what to read and have been opening, reading a little, and closing various books. Just can't seen to find anything to hold my attention yet.

Hi there! I'm sort of adrift and looking for something interesting to listen to. How are you? We are having a hurricane right now. What book should I listen to?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #14457
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu & Richard Castle

Quote:
Robert A. Heinlein's Farnham's Freehold was a real blast. No wonder it was my favorite book back there in my dim past when it was first published! I sure did forget almost everything beyond the most main plot points (and some of them too)!

I've already read two chapters of Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's Carmilla between my readings of other books, so now I'm going to finish it.

Well that was quick even though it moved very slowly and was quite unexciting and not at all suspenseful. I guess that was probably because of the time period (1872) in which it was written.

Now on to much more modern, faster paced and more exciting fare, Frozen Heat, the fourth Nikki Heat novel.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-26-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:17 AM   #14458
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Hi there! I'm sort of adrift and looking for something interesting to listen to. How are you? We are having a hurricane right now. What book should I listen to?
Hi DG! I hope you both are doing well. I can't believe you are moved away and now are facing a hurricane. I hope you are stocked up and ready in case of problems. Stay safe.

I have been listening to a lot of my pile of audio freebies lately. But, someone here got me started on the Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen [Mystery] series. Also, the Abby Cooper Psychic Eye series. I had the first book of each as freebie audible books and found the rest of the series at the library.

Other than that I am in that mood of nothing just really sounds good or catches my attention. I have a ton of kindle freebies and I have just been flipping through them and looking to see what catches my attention.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #14459
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Now on to much more modern, faster paced and more exciting fare, Frozen Heat, the fourth Nikki Heat novel.

How are the Nikki Heat books? I have been thinking about buying them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #14460
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've just started The Case of the Backward Mule by Erle Stanley Gardner. I'll be starting chapter 7 of 22 in a moment, and so far no sighting of Perry, Della, or Paul.
I bought this thinking from the title that it was a Perry Mason novel, but it's not. It's a Terry Clane novel. Seems there were other "The Case of the" novels by Mr. Gardner that involved protagonists other than Mason.
  1. The Case of the Backward Mule (Terry Clane)
  2. The Case of the Turning Tide (Gramps Wiggins)
  3. The Case of the Smoking Chimney (Gramps Wiggins)
  4. The Case of the Musical Cow (Rob Trenton)

Still, it's a very enjoyable mystery.