Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #14401
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A good story, with the pairing off sub-plot making it almost a romance. A few too many OCR errors for a new commercial book.
Amazon.us doesn't even have a Kindle edition
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #14402
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Another Silo Story…

Quote from Hugh Howey on Goodreads.
Quote:
Another Silo Story…

…and not a mention anywhere of Jules.

We’re probably three or so weeks away from SECOND SHIFT – ORDER being available on the Kindle store. It could be a week longer, as there are many rough patches to smooth over, and one of the more complex plots I’ve ever tried to weave together. Once again, no Jules in this one. She’ll be back in the 9th Silo Story.

After the break, you can read the rough draft of chapter one. I did this with FIRST SHIFT, just to give you a feel for the new story. I’m also thinking about doing the beta read a bit differently this time. I’ve considered creating a Google document that a dozen or so readers and editors could access at the same time, leave notes on, see what each other thinks and comments on. I’ve also thought about serializing the editing process by sending out an entire section as I get it done, let the betas read that while I’m revising the next part. It’d be fun to experiment.

Okay, don’t continue further unless you feel like reading a rough draft of chapter 1. Some of you probably already skipped all this nonsense and went straight for it. This is me sticking my tongue out at you people: :P

Keep in mind that this is rough draft material. I included the title, dedication, and section page as images because WordPress is crap at whitespace. The first chapter follows those pages.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #14403
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Simon The Coldheart by Georgette Heyer
Clearly an early novel, but still fun and interesting.

next up: A Deceptive Clarity by Aaron Elkins

Since the later Gideon Oliver novels are not available in ebook in the UK, and Fictionwise had another 60% off sale, I got his other books that were available there. I hope this will be as enjoyable as the Gideon Oliver series.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #14404
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Wizards

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished reading Diane Duane's So You Want to Be a Wizard, New Millennium Edition. It was a fun read and I will probably get my grandson the Young Wizards International Edition, Complete Set (9 books) for Christmas. It's really affordable at $39.99 and DRM-free as well.

Now back to The Dresden Files, White Night!
White Night was as exciting and suspenseful as it gets! Just loved this re-read!!

I'm now beginning a re-read of The Dresden Files #10, Small Favor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SF.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	94282

This will leave me 3 more Dresden Files novels to re-read before D-day (Dresden-day) 2012, November 27th, the release date for The Dresden Files #14, Cold Days!

Click image for larger version

Name:	CD.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	94283

Last edited by alansplace; 10-17-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: fix graphic
Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #14405
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
The Twelve! I'm so exicted! I've been waiting for this one.
Jealous! It's not out here yet! Enjoy!!!
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #14406
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Just finished The Unlike Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce, and really enjoyed it surprisingly. Not my normal cup of tea, but really liked the change coming over him and his wife as they both took time to think back on their loves and lives.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #14407
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am reading Franklin,s Crossing by Clay Reynolds. This version is offered by Baen Books my favorite ebook store.
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1750-fra...-crossing.aspx
Quote:
One of Western fiction’s most celebrated novelists creates a story filled with all the passions and struggles of the people who forged a new country. Set in the vast grasslands of Texas just after the Civil War, Franklin's Crossing follows former slave and seasoned scout Moses Franklin as he leads a wagon train through Comanche territory to Sante Fe.

With an all-new introduction to the Baen Ebook Edition.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #14408
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Finishing up Jeffrey Ford's latest collection -- Crackpot Palace. Twenty stories (nineteen published previously and one written expressly for this collection). This former American Lit teacher is now firmly one of my all-time favorite short-story writers. So very versatile. Sometimes a little weird but still quite accessible ... not to mention lyrical.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #14409
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Now onto The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruis Zafron......20% in, intrigued and looking forward to finishing
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #14410
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
And I'm done! Yay!

I enjoyed that and will be starting Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood #2) tonight, before I go to bed.
Finished Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood #2)!

Hope to start Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood #3) tomorrow/later today.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #14411
Arthursbedtime
Enthusiast
Arthursbedtime doesn't litterArthursbedtime doesn't litter

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindoll View Post
I'm currently reading Rivers Of London by Ben Aaronovitch. I picked it up for a cheap as chips £1.99 at Amazon.

I really like it so far.
I also read this one and the second and now the third Whispers Under Ground. I love the humour. London detective and apprentice magician.
Arthursbedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #14412
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I finished rereading Justin Cronin's The Passage yesterday. I had forgotten a lot of what happened in the two years since I've read it. It was a good read and I still stand by my critique that the middle part could have done with some editing to keep the pace up.

Last night I started The Twelve, I've read about 10% and I can't wait to continue.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #14413
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I finished rereading Justin Cronin's The Passage yesterday. I had forgotten a lot of what happened in the two years since I've read it. It was a good read and I still stand by my critique that the middle part could have done with some editing to keep the pace up.

Last night I started The Twelve, I've read about 10% and I can't wait to continue.
I think I'll start that next. Still haven't decided whether to do it on audiobook (I listened to The Passage) or ebook...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:01 AM   #14414
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
A Deceptive Clarity by Aaron Elkins

I hope this will be as enjoyable as the Gideon Oliver series.
Remarkably similar to the Gideon Oliver series, despite the difference in profession. A fun read, but alas, I didn't get who the villain was, and enough clues were given. And only a few OCR errors, far fewer than in "The King's Buccaneer".

Next up: The Door Through Space by Marin Zimmer Bradley.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #14415
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote:
...Next up: The Door Through Space by Marin Zimmer Bradley.
Wow, a blast rom the past (the 60's) and one of the very first kindle books I got (it was and still is FREE!) and re-read. Here's the free amazon link - The Door Through Space by Marion Zimmer Bradley (gotta spell her name correctly ). .