Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #31
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
A nice convenience for city dwellers, curious, what happens if you miss the pickup window?
For small town dwellers such as myself, it's a non-starter. The nearest 7-Eleven is 45 minutes away. My post office is 5 minutes away. Fed Ex and UPS maybe 10 minutes away.
I've seen 7-11s in towns of less than a thousand people. Mileage, obviously, varies considerabl. (Plus, IIRC, 7-11 is a franchise, so each franchisee will probably decide on their own whether or not to participate.)
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #32
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
In Sweden the depots are in out of way places that are very hard to get to without a car. So it is very annoying if you happen to miss delivery.
Not in Malmköping (the village where I live) they're not! The postal authority and UPS are at Tempo (a grocery chain) and DHL is at the local ironmongers. Where do you live, Tompe? The backwoods of Lappland?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post

But none of the three is a pickup point.
Yet....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #34
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I like how a thread about Amazon delivery options in the US can remain in ebooks general for so long without moderators moving it (instead of participating in the discussion)...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #35
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Not in Malmköping (the village where I live) they're not! The postal authority and UPS are at Tempo (a grocery chain) and DHL is at the local ironmongers. Where do you live, Tompe? The backwoods of Lappland?
Linköping. DHL is in an industrial area. And if you are unlucky a postal package can end up in the office that is a bit out of the way.

Did you really mean the depots? DHL private packages usually enda up in a shop or so but that is not the depot. The other DHL you have to be at home and if you miss two deliveries the package ends up at the depot.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #36
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Good news for North Americans...as Canuck says..in Japan this is normal...you can get heaps of packages from companies at convenient stores. And..they actually have decent food as well...veggies and whatnot..in Japan that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Amazon and I believe many other companies already do this in Japan-it's a normal service. And it's even more convenient because in Japan (well, Tokyo at least) there's practically a convenience store on every block so there's rarely more than a 5 minute walk to go pick up your package. Very useful for people who are single and living by themselves.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #37
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
Old news in Germany as well, we've had Packstationen for years now. Mine is right next to the supermarket I buy groceries at, both within walking distance. Great that something like that is now being rolled out in the US though.
Dylan Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #38
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Tomorrow View Post
Old news in Germany as well, we've had Packstationen for years now. Mine is right next to the supermarket I buy groceries at, both within walking distance. Great that something like that is now being rolled out in the US though.
It's a little different in that the lockers aren't owned by UPS or Fedex or the post office, but by Amazon itself. One advantage to Amazon would be that all carriers could deliver to the lockers.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #39
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It used to be it's operating hours - 7am to 11pm - right after WWII. In the early 60's, they started changing to 24 hours a day.
You learn something new every day! I already knew of 7-11s, but never thought the numbers used to refer to operating hours. I think in the back of my mind I had just assumed the name referred to luck.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #40
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do courier companies in the US not have local depots? I have both a FedEx and a UPS depot about 5 minutes drive from my house, and if the Post Office miss a delivery, I can simply collect it the next day from the local Post Office.

Amazon operate a similar service in the UK for returning items. You can drop off a package to be returned to Amazon at a large range of local convenience stores.
From my home on Maui, it's about a twenty mile drive RT to either FedEx or UPS. Some products will be left on the doorstep, other have to be signed for. The Post Office takes longer, but I have an oversized box, so only very large packages will not fit.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #41
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
No big help for me in Podunk, Ohio either. The nearest 7-11 is 45 minutes away. Still, it's a great idea, and I hope there's a wider roll-out eventually.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #42
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Actually, as far as DC goes, lockers are in the Washington, DC "area."

Which currently means suburbs in Virginia (perhaps because there is at least one distribution center there, I think). None yet in Maryland or DC itself. So not worth the trouble for me.

I'm not even sure there is a 7 Eleven in DC. The two I knew about closed several years ago.

I have prime and I am satisfied with that anyway.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #43
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
So, can you please move this thread, this is not EBook General - News in any way...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Someone grab the Kindles off the bookshelf and package them separately. Don't want 'em to break. Oh, and call city light and have them shut the power off.

I hate moving...

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #45
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Someone grab the Kindles off the bookshelf and package them separately. Don't want 'em to break. Oh, and call city light and have them shut the power off.

I hate moving...

Loggers get your tree, Tube?

I'm trying to picture that dresser up in a tree. Balance would be the key.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote