Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Color Nook Screen Question...

Is the screen like an Ipads that make it almost impossible to read in sunlight...?? Is the weight too cumbersome to read for any lenghth of time...I like my Kindle, but not any of the light solutions. So Im looking for something backlite..The color Nook fits the bill but hard to judge attached to a podium at a store....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
bigbrothad
bigbrothad began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Read your Kindle in the sunlight, read the Nook Color when you're in the dark and need backlight. Problem solved.
bigbrothad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrothad View Post
Read your Kindle in the sunlight, read the Nook Color when you're in the dark and need backlight. Problem solved.
That doesn't exactly answer my question tho, does it...?? Nor do I own one...
Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
The nookcolor is fine in the shade, but in bright sunlight the LCD is too washed out to read. I kept my original nook for outside reading and use my nookcolor for everything else.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Cpl Punishment
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
The nookcolor is fine in the shade, but in bright sunlight the LCD is too washed out to read. I kept my original nook for outside reading and use my nookcolor for everything else.
Thanks....Do you find its weight have any bearing in its use...??
Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
It's about the weight of a regular-sized hardcover book, so it depends on if you find that weight too much. However, the dimensions certainly make it much easier to manage than an iPad.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
It weighs a pound. When you have a chance, stop over at the local B&N, Best Buy, or Walmart, and check it out.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I found the glare even in the shade to be distracting so I will stick to my eink ereader outside, I think. If you have seen a glossy screen laptop outside, then it's kind of like that for comparison. B&N sells an anti-glare shield that you can install on the screen. Some people have reported it makes a big difference when outside, but it also supposedly reduces the clarity of the screen a little bit. So I think it's an individual preference whether it would make a difference to you. I can tell that the NC weighs more than my eink readers, but at the same time it doesn't bother me. I find it comfortable to hold and read for long sessions, and I have petite hands. I have a Macbook and an iPhone and would've been interested in the iPad too, but I didn't like the resolution of the screen and the weight and size was too much for me. I am really happy with the NOOKcolor overall. Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
... I have a Macbook and an iPhone ...
We forgive you, BG.

KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
Cpl Punishment
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I found the glare even in the shade to be distracting so I will stick to my eink ereader outside, I think. If you have seen a glossy screen laptop outside, then it's kind of like that for comparison. B&N sells an anti-glare shield that you can install on the screen. Some people have reported it makes a big difference when outside, but it also supposedly reduces the clarity of the screen a little bit. So I think it's an individual preference whether it would make a difference to you. I can tell that the NC weighs more than my eink readers, but at the same time it doesn't bother me. I find it comfortable to hold and read for long sessions, and I have petite hands. I have a Macbook and an iPhone and would've been interested in the iPad too, but I didn't like the resolution of the screen and the weight and size was too much for me. I am really happy with the NOOKcolor overall. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the response....I have been to Best Buy, but the color Nooks are kinda tied down so it was hard to judge..I just recently sold an Ipad and it was almost impossible to use it in the sunlight..It was absolutely fantastic with color magazines and PDF's inside..(Angry Birds rock !!) Ill pick up a color Nook today and give it a shot...Thanks

Old 01-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
I recently took off my anti-glare screen protector and am planning on getting a new one asap. I was comparing my naked screen to the screen with the screen protector under a light bulb and the anti-glare screen does make a huge difference. I tried to install a cheap anti-glare I got on eBay, though, and it was thicker than the B&N one and made the text mushier. I'm going to have to bit the bullet and get the B&N one again, I think. I'm sure there are eBay ones that work as well, but I just can't go trying them all!
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
We forgive you, BG.

Ha ha. Thanks, KryptoNyte!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
Is the screen like an Ipads that make it almost impossible to read in sunlight...?? Is the weight too cumbersome to read for any lenghth of time...I like my Kindle, but not any of the light solutions. So Im looking for something backlite..The color Nook fits the bill but hard to judge attached to a podium at a store....
You don't even need to ask. It's not a PixelQi LCD so it's not going to be readable in bright direct(or nearly so) sunlight, nor will ANY other non-PixelQi(or Mirasol(not even shipping yet)) display.

Pixel Qi: about the only tablet w/it so far is a Notion Ink which is c. $500, but personally I'd wait until people actually have one and leave comments if you are even going to think of one. Personally I'm going to see if they can survive long enough to make a second(maybe third) tablet and get them in b&m stores in NA, as in I want to see them in person first, and have a much close location for intial service & support in the event that it has to go back for some hw problem or other.

Right now, I'm doing what others have suggested, using a Sony PRS-505 eInk(sometimes some of my older greyscale devices too) reader in sunlight and the Nook Color for poor lighting conditions/night. (VS gTablet was just too big to read comfortably with and it's screen would fare no better in sunlight, maybe even worse than the NC since it also has poor viewing angles which really don't matter in general use though given that you look directly at the device.)

Back to displays: NC (most LCDs) yeah IF you can get enough shade you SHOULD be able to read on them fairly comfortably at 50% or so backlight setting but will take a battery runtime hit as the backlight by far uses the most power, followed by WiFi. (I generally like to run my notebooks & tablets @ fairly minimal backlight, i.e. just about as low as I can set it and find it comfortable to use which is generally nearly as low as it will go, to extend my battery runtime. Not as much of a problem with the gTablet though as I can easily get 8+h w/a fair bit of WiFi usage, while I'm estimating 6-8h for the NC with minimal WiFi. To me the NC is more of a reader and a supplemental tablet secondarily when I want to travel and not to deal with the relatively more bulky gTablet, which also makes it a bit more unwieldly to handle... not as easy to one hand...)

Weight: after the hefty Pandigital Novel(white), and the 1.5lb Gorilla gTab nothing phases me any longer... however it's noticeably heavier than a Kindle or my PRS-505 or similar are... but after the iPad, it shouldn't bother you at all.

caveat: my sunlight usability are from experience with a wide range of displays as by the time the NC came out and I procured one we were in the middle of winter along with the accompanying almost continuous overcast skies and weak sunlight even when not... OK technically late fall, but that may as well be winter here along with early spring...

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 01-15-2011 at 02:42 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #14
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
The NC is easier to read in sunlight than my Motorola Droid - both with LCD.

Cutterjohn, I'll let you know about the Notion Ink Adam as soon as it arrives. Estimated shipping is today through next Sat. but I expect it to be delayed. For the USA they're waiting until the FCC stickers can be officially put on. It's passed all the FCC tests but hasn't yet received official OK.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
I find that the Nook Color is very readable in bright conditions, like in a car on a sunny day. I cannot say the same about the Pandigital Novel or my laptop. The NC seems to have much brighter backlights (LED vs Fluorescent??) than the other devices & that allows me to raise the screen brightness to a usable level.

Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote