Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
Best output for Pocketbook 360

Could anybody please recommend the best output when using Calibre for converting LIT files for the 360.
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebalme View Post
Could anybody please recommend the best output when using Calibre for converting LIT files for the 360.
FB2
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Another option is ePub, which is essentially the next generation LIT. FBReader has a few quirks with ePub, but it usually works well. I have read that the next version of the firmware will allow you to choose either FBReader or Adobe Digital Editions for DRM-free ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Another option is ePub, which is essentially the next generation LIT. FBReader has a few quirks with ePub, but it usually works well. I have read that the next version of the firmware will allow you to choose either FBReader or Adobe Digital Editions for DRM-free ePub.
Yeah, heard that too. but that essentially is a choice between 2 evils: FBReader doesn't fully support ePub (no real CSS support, for instance), while ADE always has those damned pagenumbers on the side! I have ordered a 360 anyway and will try both possibilities!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:05 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Yeah, heard that too. but that essentially is a choice between 2 evils: FBReader doesn't fully support ePub (no real CSS support, for instance), while ADE always has those damned pagenumbers on the side! I have ordered a 360 anyway and will try both possibilities!
PB does render ePubs really well with the new firmware. Please don't forget to leave at least a 15pt margin on the right side for those page numers. Otherwise, you may pretty much use the Sony defaults i.e. 5pt margin on the other sides. If you want to reduce your margins on the left, you can reduce them down to zero, no harm done.

As for FBReader with the current firmware: you configure your margins in the PB, with a possibility of no margins. Illustrations and links do work, while pagebreaks before chapters are not!

FB2 is nice on the PocketBook. But:

1. There are no outline TOCs in Fb2s made by Calibre currently. Inside TOCs work okay.
2. It's best to zip those FB2 files up before you transfer them to your reader. PB can read zipped FB2s and their size will be a lot smaller!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 12-03-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
PB does render ePubs really well with the new firmware. Please don't forget to leave at least a 15pt margin on the right side for those page numers. Otherwise, you may pretty much use the Sony defaults i.e. 5pt margin on the other sides. If you want to reduce your margins on the left, you can reduce them down to zero, no harm done.

As for FBReader with the current firmware: you configure your margins in the PB, with a possibility of no margins. Illustrations and links do work, whiloe pagebreaks before Chapters are not!

FB2 is nice on the PocketBook. But:

1. There are no outline TOCs in Fb2s made by Calibre currently. Inside TOCs work okay.
2. It's best to zip those FB2 files up before you transfer them to your reader. PB can read zipped FB2s and their size will be a lot smaller!
I never bother zipping my FB2s - I figure with a 2-4GB SD card you can store more 1 MB (approx.) FB2 eBooks than I'll need! With a few exceptions, most of my FB2 eBooks are less than 1 MB in size (I have a few that go to 1-1.5 MB, and one or two that are up between 2-3 MB, but no more).

Do you know if there are any disadvantages at all to zipping the FB2s, or it really makes absolutely no difference to the reader?
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
Do you know if there are any disadvantages at all to zipping the FB2s, or it really makes absolutely no difference to the reader?
No, never encountered any disadvantages. I guess it's an old habit with me, as I use an 8 gb card in MM right now. Probably enough space for a lifetime of books (about 16.000 good sized ones)