Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Canadian Winter vs. PRS-505

Can I just haul it about with me in the winter time, so long as while outside it's in my coat? Or will that cause Bad Things (TM)?

What if it's not a coat but a fine Mongolian Deel?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Can I just haul it about with me in the winter time, so long as while outside it's in my coat? Or will that cause Bad Things (TM)?

What if it's not a coat but a fine Mongolian Deel?

- Ahi
i've heard extreme cold increases ghosting, and you should pay attention to the battery temperature limits. of course, if it's in a fine Mongolian Deel it will probably survive. in an older thread on the topic i think the consensus was that we should knit little hoodies for our liseuses.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Last winter, a guy from somewhere up in the frozen hinterlands reported that his e-ink screen broke after just a few minutes in his backpack while going to class. Brrrrr!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Last winter, a guy from somewhere up in the frozen hinterlands reported that his e-ink screen broke after just a few minutes in his backpack while going to class. Brrrrr!
really ? ouch !!! i missed that. ahi, make sure that hoodie you knit is industrial-strength nuclear warm !
Old 10-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm too lazy to search for the thread, but I think some people suggested keeping it inside your coat and against your skin to keep it from breaking.
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Darn it, I was wondering how the Prs-505 would handle the cold. Maybe a well insulated case could help keep it safe? I saw some sort of zipper case for the sony touch edition on the target web site, maybe that would be worth checking out.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does winter temperature reach -30 C in beautiful Hrvatska?

If not, you might not need to worry as much as I do.

- Ahi
Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
I'm too lazy to search for the thread, but I think some people suggested keeping it inside your coat and against your skin to keep it from breaking.
Hmm... do you find your Sony Reader peanut butter resistant, DixieGal?

- Ahi
Old 10-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Hmm... do you find your Sony Reader peanut butter resistant, DixieGal?

- Ahi
Make that whipped cream, because pnut butter is too hard to get out of the sheets.

Wait, what?....
Old 10-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
My Cybook has survived two Canadian winters and I take it with me every day so I don't expect the Sony to be any different. You don't want to leave it out in the cold where the device would get below freezing but just caring it around hasn't been an issue.

I'm in SWO though and not Winterpeg or Iqaluit. (If I was in Winnipeg I'd be more concerned about one of those gigantic mosquitoes hitting the screen then the cold.)
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I'd reccomend keeping it in a safe pocket on your jacket, rather than in your pack if possible. My 505 lasted just fine in a Fort MacMurray winter (-50 C / -58 F), but battery life is severly diminished if you are actually attempting to read outside. I kept it wrapped up in an extra toque in my pocket, and it was just fine.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I'm in SWO though and not Winterpeg or Iqaluit. (If I was in Winnipeg I'd be more concerned about one of those gigantic mosquitoes hitting the screen then the cold.)

(hey alberta cowboy ! i have cousins who live in edmonton --well, a suburb, technically--, you might be neighbors. it's beautiful countryside over there !)
Old 10-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I carried my 505 with me through two Chicago winters, which can be very cold, with temperatures going well below 0°F pretty regularly. I kept it in a purse, held close to my body, on most occasions. I'd read it on the train to/from work, and would warm it up with my hand a bit at first to minimize ghosting. The metal does get terribly cold to the touch, but I never had any damage to the screen or the device casing. Maybe get a neoprene cover? I bet the Sony one for the 600 would fit a 505.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:15 AM   #14
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:

- Ahi
You'd wonder, but as a matter of fact it may. It reached -30 C in Cologne last year, and that is the warmest area of Germany... .
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:06 AM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:

- Ahi
LOL no, it rarely gets below zero here! I am Canadian, however, and I often go back home to visit in the winter!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote