Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
When ebook passes EPUBcheck am I done?

Hi. I've gotten through the Flight Crew check and the epub validator with "no problems." Does that mean I'm done? I'm definitely a noob, and I read stuff about mime files needing to be in there and ePubPack and tweak_epub and, well, how do you know when the file is ready to be sent to distributors?

Thanks,

Bear
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Passing epubcheck is the minimum. You should also check the display of the book on actual devices if possible, or at least on emulators.

But if it passes epubcheck, then you do, at least, have the minimum of required files and metadata.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You might also want to check how well or badly any internal links in the book work.

It really needs to be read through again as well if you have used search and replace at all in your editing. It is amazing how there is always at least one case where something gets affected that you did not intend.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks pdurrant.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks mrmikel
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Check with ADE. That's the standard.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

?

Thanks JS, but don't know what ADE is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Check with ADE. That's the standard.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Adobe Digital Editions http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions.html
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
ADE: Adobe Digital Editions. You can obtain it here.

D'oh I've been out-posted by a chicken! Must be all those road-running exercises.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
LOL Maybe I should change to a Smartie as an avatar to counter the upside down W & W's
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks but...

...how does ADE (I already downloaded it) act as a checker? (I read the intro there and it talked about diagnosing problems such as bad markup, but beats me if I could figure out how to utilize such a feature.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
...how does ADE (I already downloaded it) act as a checker? (I read the intro there and it talked about diagnosing problems such as bad markup, but beats me if I could figure out how to utilize such a feature.)
Use Eyeball Mk I

There is no free (proof reading) lunch.

ADE (1.7) is one of the most common EPUB viewers used on devices, which is why it is recommended.

It has quirks

Your job is to avoid the nastier looking repercussions of some of them. Some, you just live with if you insist on having the code that looks fine on other devices.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Eyeball Mk I

Cool. I've got ADE 2.0 for PC. Should I try to get the 1.7 for PC (is it still available?) because it's so common? Thanks. Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Use Eyeball Mk I

There is no free (proof reading) lunch.

ADE (1.7) is one of the most common EPUB viewers used on devices, which is why it is recommended.

It has quirks

Your job is to avoid the nastier looking repercussions of some of them. Some, you just live with if you insist on having the code that looks fine on other devices.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

duck, (sorry if I'm loading you up with questions), but somebody here was talking about 'an older version' of the Sony Reader Library being really good for proofing too. He said you could go from the Sony back to the epub (that the Sony wouldn't hold the file) so as to edit. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
duck, (sorry if I'm loading you up with questions), but somebody here was talking about 'an older version' of the Sony Reader Library being really good for proofing too. He said you could go from the Sony back to the epub (that the Sony wouldn't hold the file) so as to edit. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
Sony on the PC is a good previewer as you can set the page size which will show what the document will really look like on the device. It is also ADE based so it covers the ADE ground as well.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distributors, epub, finished, send