Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #61
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Boy, if I had used such an old phone and made calls only for every e-mail, skype call or instant message I sent and received during my travels over the years I would probably be in the whole for few 100,000 bucks by now! Not to mention the pictures, movies, and documents I couldn't have sent or received and the fact that people don't always have time for you when you call but they always respond to e-mail when they get around to it.

Besides, why even go to work if you never enjoy buying anything new and better?

And as for the subject of this thread --- the people have spoken, they want cheap, not durable reading devices.
Yeah, I know I'm a rarity in this day and age. I send my emails from a PC; watch the movies that turn up on broadcast TV; don't travel much; have the cell phone mainly for emergencies or the occasional call to tell someone I'm running late, etc. And I want a durable reading device! My job doesn't pay enough for me to be constantly buying new equipment.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #62
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I tend to buy new electronics every 2 years. My old but working products go to family members. Happened with Kindle 1 & 2 while I still have 3 and the first HD at home. Family also have my iPad 1 and 2 while I constantly use the 3rd Gen myself. The first iphone is used as a controller alone with iphone 3GS and 4. My current iphone is a 5. Everything is still working. Electronics evolve so fast, they get so much lighter, faster and more powerful every year. Remember when TVs had small screens and were heavy but would last for decades. You can have them. I prefer my light 40" HDTV that is under 25 lbs. It's already 2 years old and I will not be buying another one because it cost so much but that doesn't stop me from looking at some sweet HDTV/3D machines, maybe when they drop under $500 for 42" .

Last edited by pagansoul; 02-15-2013 at 12:59 PM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #63
Steeplechase
Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo N647
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Yeah, I know I'm a rarity in this day and age. I send my emails from a PC; watch the movies that turn up on broadcast TV; don't travel much; have the cell phone mainly for emergencies or the occasional call to tell someone I'm running late, etc. And I want a durable reading device! My job doesn't pay enough for me to be constantly buying new equipment.
Obviously I'm in the same place. I also don't see the point in working to pay for new shiny things, which is probably how I went and retired at the age of 37 (by frugal living before and after and some luck). But obviously the majority of the responders to this thread are early adopters not frugal late waiters.

I just hope the cheap and flimsy gets a lot cheaper than it is now. Or perhaps if I buy another one I'll spend the money for a foam lined steel suitcase like we used to store video cameras in.
Steeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #64
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeplechase View Post
Obviously I'm in the same place. I also don't see the point in working to pay for new shiny things, which is probably how I went and retired at the age of 37 (by frugal living before and after and some luck). But obviously the majority of the responders to this thread are early adopters not frugal late waiters.

I just hope the cheap and flimsy gets a lot cheaper than it is now. Or perhaps if I buy another one I'll spend the money for a foam lined steel suitcase like we used to store video cameras in.
I think it depends on how to use it and what benefits you perceive when buying the newer version. One of our cars is already 16 years old and it still runs great. I see no need to buy a new one -- a really nice, fully electric car could entice me but they are not selling any in our local market.

As for a 10 year old phone, that would be totally useless for me. A phone, for me, is first of all a device connected to the internet -- I make relatively few calls. So I find that the "frugal people" just like to spend their money in other areas where they are far from frugal. My wife is the best example, never on tech goods, but there are no limits when it comes to plants and gardening equipment.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #65
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
While we're sharing anecdotes:

Bought a Kindle 3 in November 2010. Used it for two years, carried daily in my backpack, bike panniers, kayak dry bags, etc with only the Amazon lighted leather case to protect it. During that time I once left it on the train and whoever first found my bag broke the metal tabs holding it into the case and deformed the slots pulling on it. It was returned to me thanks to the screensaver hack, I'd put on images with my Google Voice number and email address. Took the back off and hooked some wirewrap wire to the contacts and connected it to the case to keep the light working and used SakDab clips to hold it in. Used it for another year and then gave it to my 10 year old son who has now carried it around since I upgraded to the Paperwhite on the day it was released. In our family we have 7 ereaders, 4 used very heavily and carried everywhere, not a single one has broken.

Make of it what you will, but they're obviously not junk.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #66
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucarda View Post
I got my first kindle as a present. I broke it after a half of year by accident.
Amazon replaced it, practically no question asked.
I will always buy a kindle withouth any thinking when it will be sturdy as a calculator. Why?

Because basic kindle4 is 70 $. That is average 7 books. I can read thousands and thousands of free books I would have to otherwise loan from library or read on a stupid PC screen which makes my eyes hurt. This makes the device pays for itself.

Second point. Amazon will replace the kindle without any hassle if it breaks in the one year guarantee period. They are really great company for this and they know that building the base of people with their device is building a base of buyers for their books. And this is where the real money is.

So for me your question is no question at all. I read a lot of books and for a year of reading 70 $ is not that much. I give 200 $ on my contacts for a year and I use up them as well.

All modern electronics is made to break in a reasonable period. How else would this consumer society work?

Peace out.
And thanks to sites like MR there are plenty of good PD books that work perfectly well on the Kindle and other such readers.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #67
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeplechase View Post
So, when (if ever) do you see them becoming as long lived as other commonly used electronic devices?
What broke? E Ink is a relatively new technology - did it HAVE a mass application before the Kindle etc.?

A lot of the first generation of gadgets that used surface-mount electronics have now succumbed to "cap cancer", including some quite expensive camcorders. Anyone got a Sony miniDV camera still working?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #68
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I recommend that you get a much less expensive reader that will fit your budget better. Currently, I would recommend the Aluratek Libre Pro which geeks.com has for only $37.99:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AEBK01FS
I see that geeks.com lowered the price of the Libre Pro to $29.99, and then sold out of them.

So I would then recommend what I have, the Ectaco jetBook Lite, which newegg.com currently has for $56.99 with free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1CU0CT9361
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1CU0BZ7813
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken