Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
belle2
belle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle DX
Contact for Calibre??

No one seems to have an answer for myquestion in Library Management and am getting desperate. Is there an email address available for Calibre anywhere?
belle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't know much about Calibre, as I uninstalled it when I realized it wasn't actually writing metadata to the epub file but keeping it in its own database. That was after editing metadata in about 200 books I guess.

Looking at the FAQ on their website, it says:

Quote:
The list of books in calibre is blank!¶

In order to understand why that happened, you have to understand what a calibre library is. At the most basic level, a calibre library is just a folder. Whenever you add a book to calibre, that book’s files are copied into this folder (arranged into sub folders by author and title). Inside the calibre library folder, at the top level, you will see a file called metadata.db. This file is where calibre stores the metadata like title/author/rating/tags etc. for every book in your calibre library. The list of books that calibre displays is created by reading the contents of this metadata.db file.

There can be two reasons why calibre is showing a empty list of books:

Your calibre library folder changed its location. This can happen if it was on an external disk and the drive letter for that disk changed. Or if you accidentally moved the folder. In this case, calibre cannot find its library and so starts up with an empty library instead. To remedy this, do a right-click on the calibre icon in the calibre toolbar (it will say 0 books underneath it) and select Switch/create library. Click the little blue icon to select the new location of your calibre library and click OK.

Your metadata.db file was deleted/corrupted. In this case, you can ask calibre to rebuild the metadata.db from its backups. Click-and-hold the calibre icon in the calibre toolbar (it will say 0 books underneath it) and select Library maintenance->Restore database. calibre will automatically rebuild metadata.db.
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html

There will be a contact address somewhere on that site I imagine.
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
There is an entire suite of forua dedicated to Calibre, starting here. Not only will there be lots of experienced users there, the author of Calibre, Kovid Goyal, also keeps track of what goes on there. Lots of people to ansswer your questions.

Welcome to MobileRead. Stay out of the Lounge if you know what's good for you
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2 View Post
No one seems to have an answer for myquestion in Library Management and am getting desperate. Is there an email address available for Calibre anywhere?
Kovid Goyal is a member of this forum. Send him a Private Message:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=6625
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
belle2
belle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to beholdbelle2 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle DX
Thank you everyone! I've managed to resolve the issue. I had a number of Calibre backups on my external drive. I put them all on and tried each. One of them let me rebuild the data base. Not sure why the db wasn't in the library. I'm very relieved.
belle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert