Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
JJ Joseph
JJ Joseph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sigil is too willful about some things

My Sigil is trying to take control of stuff that it should leave alone. For example, it sets the default editor for all "txt" files on my PC to Sigil. I don't want that. Most "txt" files belong to some other task, not Sigil. How do I get Sigil to not do things like this?
JJ Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Simple, uninstall Sigil and reinstall it. But, this time pay attention while installing and not press 'Next' all the time. There is a question about setting Sigil as the default editor. Not only for .epub, but also for .txt. Uncheck that before pressing next...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you are running Windows Vista or above, there is an option for Default Programs in the Start Menu. You can change behavior there. On older versions, you can look up associations under Help.

Or you can do as Toxaris suggests and deinstall and reinstall. These checkboxes are found in many many programs, so next time you get a new program keep an eye out for it. They are designed to make things convenient, but as you found they can be darned inconvenient.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Isn't the correct default behaviour here to only assign filetypes that are not already assigned to an application?
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
Isn't the correct default behaviour here to only assign filetypes that are not already assigned to an application?
What is 'Correct behavior'?
Many programs take over all file types they handle unless you use the advanced instal.
Sigil did not bury that choice, but presented it to you.
And Yes, I also blindly accepted it the first time (but I knew how to fix default file associations in XP (and most other versions of Windows) )
Sigil seems to remember your choices for additional upgrades, but taking care to read choices on ANY install, is recommended
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
JJ Joseph
JJ Joseph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
There is a question about setting Sigil as the default editor. Not only for .epub, but also for .txt. Uncheck that before pressing next...
Dang! I never saw an application make a grab for txt files. This is some kind of a first! Thanks for the clue.
JJ Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote