Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
ReaderZ
ReaderZ began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
converting PDF to LRF, images out of order, strange paragraphs... etc...

Hi everybody!

I am new in the forum, and using Calibre, but no new with the ereaders, i have an old Sony PRS-500

I recognize the power of Calibre, but for my taste, it’s too saturated and kind of awful to use.

I am trying to convert PDF to LRF, I am trying PDF with text only and PDF with few images, and the LRF conversion with thext, the result is… not the best, I don’t know how to explain it, see this screen capt:

I don’t ask for an exact conversion, but at least something nicer to the view and to follow the order while reading

And, when I try to convert the PDF with images, I get this:

I’d like at least the images were in the right place.

How can that be fixed?

ReaderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Read this before Posting PDF Questions
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The basic issue is that a PDF file doesn't contain text at all; it just contains drawing instructions of the form "draw this shape at these coordinates", and they can be all mixed up.

The best way to convert PDF, if you really have no choice other than to do so, is to use a decent OCR program, such as Abbyy FineReader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
ReaderZ

yeah.. but..

Thank you for the answers!
well, i can say, i have not had mayor issue converting from PDF, because in my case it does the same when converting from RTF. i get the same problem when converting from RTF.

here an example:

Old 04-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
ReaderZ

Also
why adjusting the text size it's so complicated?
i know there are different size in the input format, but why dont just apply a percent of the input text size, that would result in the optput text, dot know how to explaint but i guess you got the idea.

in a simpler idea

why isn't just a percent UP and a percent DOWN of the original text, simply like that!?

Because if you see in my screen capture, the text it's also BIG.

Last edited by ReaderZ; 04-01-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderZ View Post
Also
i know there are different size in the input format, but why dont just apply a percent of the input text size, that would result in the optput text, dot know how to explaint but i guess you got the idea.

in a simpler idea

why isn't just a percent UP and a percent DOWN of the original text, simply like that!?

Is the text size actually bigger or does the calibre viewer just display it bigger. You can check the actual font size in the viewer by using inspect button.

While I agree the text adjustments in calibre are a tad complex for me at least, most dedicated ebook readers have only fixed font sizes and very few of them so a percent might not be viable.

Also you might try saving your rtf file as html from word and see what that gets you.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Also

in a simpler idea

Because HTML sizes are in steps, and those can be further adjusted (just like Calibre will do).

so you need to Map what size you want to see for each.
In some cases you may want to use the same size replacement for 2 sizes
eg x-large and xx-large both to 20pt
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
ReaderZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Because HTML sizes are in steps, and those can be further adjusted (just like Calibre will do).

so you need to Map what size you want to see for each.
In some cases you may want to use the same size replacement for 2 sizes
eg x-large and xx-large both to 20pt
exactly, i dont care the size-format relation, almost 98% of my docs are within size 14 and 10 (the most common font size in internet...) and i want them in the same percent of size in my ebook.

i dont know how to explain it, the idea must be simple, i know that size depends on formats and that stuff, i know Calibre cant know what size i want, but if i could only indicate to calibre that i want the font one or two points smallers or 10 or 20% smaller that the input size, simple like that
Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
ReaderZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Is the text size actually bigger or does the calibre viewer just display it bigger. You can check the actual font size in the viewer by using inspect button.

While I agree the text adjustments in calibre are a tad complex for me at least, most dedicated ebook readers have only fixed font sizes and very few of them so a percent might not be viable.

Also you might try saving your rtf file as html from word and see what that gets you.

Helen
No, the text in the viewer is in the same proportion as the one seen in the ebook once the file is transferred, if the text looks BIGF in the viewer it looks BIG in the ebook too, i first notice the big fonts i the ebook then to save time, i notice the viewer of calibre is quite real to the final result.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, the text in the viewer is in the same proportion as the one seen in the ebook once the file is transferred, if the text looks BIGF in the viewer it looks BIG in the ebook too, i first notice the big fonts i the ebook then to save time, i notice the viewer of calibre is quite real to the final result.
So is it significantly bigger? Hard to tell from your pics. And are the pdf fonts significantly smaller on the reader?

Most Sony go 6 8 10 etc. in font size. making the font size 7.5 or 7.2 in calibre would look the same on the reader. A percent would have to be quite large and it would still only jump up or down to the closest matching Sony one AFAIk unless you convert it to pictures by using a print program.

There are weird ways of doing these things but I doubt they would suit your purpose.

Helen
Old 04-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
ReaderZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
So is it significantly bigger? Hard to tell from your pics. And are the pdf fonts significantly smaller on the reader?

Most Sony go 6 8 10 etc. in font size. making the font size 7.5 or 7.2 in calibre would look the same on the reader. A percent would have to be quite large and it would still only jump up or down to the closest matching Sony one AFAIk unless you convert it to pictures by using a print program.

There are weird ways of doing these things but I doubt they would suit your purpose.

Helen
Not SO significantly big, but enough to look clumsy or harsh or... mmm... not so elegant, like a organized text, i am aware about the limited font-size matching in sony, but if i do it all manually and remove all punctuation hyphens numerals etc and save it to RTF, it will be fine to ereader in the ereader

i am trying to make a pizza and i wanted to take the recipe in the ereader,
but check this:

and this is the original text:

Last edited by ReaderZ; 04-01-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard

Yes it sure is not pretty.