Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
Markanthonylbc
Markanthonylbc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
A Song of Ice and Fire

Perhaps I'm focusing too much on the fiction part of your description, but the first series that came to me was "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin.

Likely you've already read it or seen the first book on HBO (season 2 is just around the corner!). In the event that that's not the case, I recommend it most highly. Best fantastic literature I've ever read.

I could re-read GRRM and Robert Jordan a thousand times and still go back for more.
Markanthonylbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #17
ODB
ODB began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Seconded....
ive not read the flashman yet they are on my list
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr72 View Post
It sounds like you are interested in a more European type setting but I just finished a series by Conn Iggulden based on the rise of the Mongolian Empire that I really enjoyed. He also wrote a series about Caesar that I've yet to read so I can't really recommend it.
great set of books i read all 4 in one go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Conn Iggulden's 4 book Genghis Khan Series is great. Although I have the fourth one in my TBR pile.
Apache
i couldnt put them down, right up my alley
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr72 View Post
It's up to five books now. The fifth book came out in December:
http://www.amazon.com/Conqueror-Nove...9004340&sr=1-1
ill be reading that for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markanthonylbc View Post
Perhaps I'm focusing too much on the fiction part of your description, but the first series that came to me was "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin.

Likely you've already read it or seen the first book on HBO (season 2 is just around the corner!). In the event that that's not the case, I recommend it most highly. Best fantastic literature I've ever read.

I could re-read GRRM and Robert Jordan a thousand times and still go back for more.
ive not read any other those
ive been read bernard cornwells saxon series great books

i like the crusades as well ive read a few in a series one was called harlequin
i cant remember the author for the life of me , good series tho

cheers guys
ODB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #18
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'd pretty much second all of the above, although the Flashman series is a bit past 1300AD it's a gloriously funny read with plenty of action thrown in. I'd also recommend his "McAuslan" books and "The General Danced At Dawn". They draw upon his Scots heritage, his student days in Glasgow and his service in a Highland regiment in the war and are riotously entertaining books.

If you're primarily interested in the Roman/Saxon era I'll repeat a recommendation I made in another thread of Jack Whyte's work. He covers the Arthurian legend, the Templars and even has a shot at William Wallace, which I suppose is reasonable given his heritage. He's very much in the Cornwell vein.

Last edited by plib; 03-11-2012 at 06:20 AM.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #19
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODB View Post
i like the crusades as well ive read a few in a series one was called harlequin
i cant remember the author for the life of me , good series tho
It's not surprising you liked it, it's also by Cornwell!

It's part of the Grail Quest series, but they changed the title to The Archer's Tale on the left side of the pond. Maybe they didn't think the US was too well up on harlequins? A bit like they changed Philosopher's Stone to Sorceror's Stone for Harry Potter.

Probably down to the mouse, as usual.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #20
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Oddly, I didn't get on with the Grail Quest series even though I've liked the rest of the Cornwell I've read.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert