Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
adetutuijose
adetutuijose began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
epub validation error

What does this mean and how do I resolve it

use.epub/tmp_f6b1db682aad3f280a5091c997dbbdcf_fUz_e8.ch.fix ed.fc.tidied.stylehacked.xfixed_split_000.html(564 ): attribute "start" not allowed here; expected attribute "class", "dir", "id", "style", "title" or "xml:lang"

How do I locate the line 564. What is 'start" attribute it is objecting to and what are attributes"class", "dir", "style" that it says are okay

This error is from the valiation tool http://threepress.org/document/epub-validate.
The original text is a book uploaded to smashword.com

Thanks for helping

Last edited by adetutuijose; 01-09-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: to provide more clarity
adetutuijose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
There is a problem with an HTML file inside your epub:

use.epub/tmp_f6b1db682aad3f280a5091c997dbbdcf_fUz_e8.ch.fix ed.fc.tidied.stylehacked.xfixed_split_000.html

The validator indicated that it is on line 564. It would help diagnosis if you could post the content around line 564 of that file.

(it would help even more if people just did not use the meatgrinder to generate ePubs, but that's a whole separate issue).
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
My guess... You are using a numbered list and did not start at number 1.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
adetutuijose

This is what lines 561 to 565 says:

...... during computer use. I no longer have dry eyes. Occasionally I still spray the mist though I really no longer need to.

Eyes and Computer Use Induced Chemical Imbalance
A second issue that arises from the drying of the skin around the eyes and resultant malfunction .........

Line 564 is the line tat reads as folows:
Eyes and Computer Use Induced Chemical Imbalance

It is in bold print and is actually the heading of a new paragraph in my book "Eyes Vision and Computer Use: How to Protect Yourself from Technology Use Induced Harm" That is available in print at amazon.com and in ebook for kindle and nook. I am trying to make it available in ipad, sony, diesel and kobo too

I wrote it in Microsoft Word and uploaded unto smashwords.

I have checked it in the epub reader and the whole book including line 564 all looks perfect.

I am at a loss as to what the problem is. This is the 10th book I will be uploading to epub and I am at a loss as to why there is this error this time.

Can anyone explain it to me so I can get this book to everyone so they can obtain the information they need to protect themselves in the technology driven age we are in.

Thanks

Last edited by adetutuijose; 01-10-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: To provide more information and clarity
Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Complain to Smashwords. Their Meatgrinder program is really crappy and you have no way to change that.
We can try to help though. Can you give the lines around 564 in the HTML file? So not the text, but the actual HTML. That might give a clue.
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
IIRC clicking on an error displayed by Sigil's error checker will take you to the source of the problem.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
(it would help even more if people just did not use the meatgrinder to generate ePubs, but that's a whole separate issue).
Actually, it seems that Smashwords doesn't give a crap about anyone. Being able to upload already created ePub is the number one request from authors and users and yet they continually ignore this. That is why I do not buy books from Smashwords as the code in the ePub they sell is garbage.

Using Word and then converting it to ePub without cleaning up the mess is poor form. Charging money for this is even poorer form.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Complain to Smashwords. Their Meatgrinder program is really crappy and you have no way to change that.
We can try to help though. Can you give the lines around 564 in the HTML file? So not the text, but the actual HTML. That might give a clue.
It may not matter what the ePub code looks like as it can't be fixed. It has to be fixed in Word and then meatground again. Way to go Smashwords. You've screwed up yet another eBook and confused yet another author.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It may not matter what the ePub code looks like as it can't be fixed. It has to be fixed in Word and then meatground again. Way to go Smashwords. You've screwed up yet another eBook and confused yet another author.
Well, it does matter. It might give a clue what is going on in the Word document so it can be fixed there.

I totally agree with you and am boycotting Smashwords. They have a total disregard for the readers and authors.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
adetutuijose

Does anyone have the link to sigil's epub checker. I wilL like to access the code so you guys can assist me further. Thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adetutuijose View Post
Does anyone have the link to sigil's epub checker. I wilL like to access the code so you guys can assist me further. Thanks
The program (and source code) is at http://code.google.com/p/sigil/.

Just open your epub file in Sigil and choose the menu Tools > Validate ePub.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
It's also available as a stand alone package - FlightCrew - for those of us who don't use Sigil.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
It's also available as a stand alone package - FlightCrew - for those of us who don't use Sigil.
Or don't always use Sigil.

Tags
ebub error, fix epub errror, how do i fix epub error, i terprete epub error, validation error