Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
Qxr
Enthusiast
Qxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it is

Device: lbook V3, iRex DR800SG
Low contrast after screen replacement

I got a chance to find a screen replacement for my iLiiad, but the contrast of the picture I have on the new screen is too low to be acceptable: the background is light grey, no black color at all, residues of the previous picture after a page is turned. The display can show white (after I remove a handwritten text, a white shadow of it remains), but normalli it does not.

My question to the developers and gurus: is there a way to adjust the contrast on iLiad, either in the hardware or software?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
Qxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I don't think there's any easy way to adjust it. Were you able to use the iLiad before, or did you purchase it with a screen that needed replacing. In other words, have you seen it before this replacement screen to know that you're not just seeing normal eInk contrast? Light gray background and dark gray text is pretty typical, you don't really get black/white with eInk. Also, "ghosting" is common. It's more pronounced with certain types of content and can be effected by the way the screen is being refreshed. A full page turn does some extra things to clean up ghosting (but its' still not perfect), than a partial refresh (like writing/erasing with the pen).

Also, where did you get the replacement screen from. Is it possibly from an older generation? Theoretically, the vizplex screens they switched the iLiads over to have better contrast than the original screens. However, they've said it's not big enough of a difference to really notice. I wonder though if you had a vizplex before, and replaced it with an original?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Qxr
Enthusiast
Qxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it is

My previous screen's contrast was perfect.

The replacement screen might be from a previous generation reader (it had more screews on the back than mine), and I could not see how good it was - the donor device was dead.

The contrast and ghosting on the screen is too bad to let me use the iLiad for reading now
Old 03-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qxr View Post
The replacement screen might be from a previous generation reader (it had more screews on the back than mine)
Sounds like a v1 instead of a v2. I wouldn't expect a big difference between them though.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:08 AM   #5
Qxr
Enthusiast

Well, it's my bad luck, obviously.
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard

I wonder if the waveforms are different between the original v1 display and the v2? Maybe trying to drive a non-vizplex screen with vizplex waveforms doesn't work well?

That's just speculation though, I have no idea if that even makes sense. I don't think there's any difference in the firmware, but maybe it detects which device you have and thinks it's using the right waveforms for the screen you're supposed to have.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yes the waveforms will be different. The waveforms are different for EACH BATCH of displays. The waveform PLUS a temperature calibration for the particluar display are noted on the display. When the display is replaced the waveform must be changed or you have contrast and ghost issues.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 03-16-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
see http://alfonsvh.be/bebook/replacemen...n_ebook_V3.pdf
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
yes the waveforms will be different. The waveforms are different for EACH BATCH of displays. The waveform PLUS a temperature calibration for the particluar display are noted on the display. When the display is replaced the waveform must be changed or you have contrast and ghost issues.
Thanks. Good information to know!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
But that requires a device specific repair guide / instruction, which will be hard to come by for our iRex devices . We can but hope that IRX is willing to dig that info up for those who need it.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
tc0fh
tc0fh began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Hello!

So where can I find a replacement display for my Iliad?

Regards,
Andrei
tc0fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc0fh View Post
So where can I find a replacement display for my Iliad?
Attached to another iLiad.