Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
beffery
beffery began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
kindle2 2.5.7 with jailbreak Chinese fonts can't be display

Hi,all .
Mine is kindle2 with firmware version 2.5.7.
I installed jailbreak && screen saver && fonts strictly followed the tutorial from :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

The install progress is completed without any errors.The screen saver hack works well and the default English fonts seems to be replaced.

But for my Chinese books, either title or text is not displayed correctly.

I am a new comer here. I have searched old posts and found no results.

Any help/hints will be appreciate.

Notes:
kindle 2 international version
firmware version: 2.5.7
host: windows 7 premium Simplified Chinese
hacks installed:
update_jailbreak_0.4.N_k2i_install
update_ss_0.18.N_k2i_install
update_fonts_4.2.N_k2i_install
beffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Mystify
Mystify began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
I can't say for 100% certain here, but as a software developer that has to do localization for my companies products, I can tell you that not all font sets have COMPLETE glyph sets.

could it be possible that when you installed the font hack that it put fonts in that do not support the font glyphs in your book?

I know it's not much help, but maybe it could point you in the right direction.
Cheers.
Dave
Mystify is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...37#post1297737
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
beffery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindasauge View Post
Hi, I followed your advice and replaced the fonts with Arial from my Windows Computer.
It's strange why this is not work, the English fonts seems to be replaced with Arial, but the chinese fonts can not be displayed all the same.

I wonder if there is something wrong with my replacement.
I just simple copy all the Arial fonts in C:\Windows\Fonts\Arial,
and in linkfonts\fonts of my kindle 2i :
One by one I re-write the Mono_*.ttf ,Sans_*.ttf, Sans_*.ttf with cosponding arial fonts. And keep its old name(Mono_*.ttf ,Sans_*.ttf, Sans_*.ttf).

I have restarted my kindle, the new arial seems already take effects, but chinese fonts can't be displayed all the same.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
beffery

Well, later I used msyh.tts(which contains chinese character sets) to do the replacement I mentioned above.

Then the Chinese book title displayed well in the item list.
Some of the text file in Chinese can also be displayed, but some are not (They're can't be open or can't be displayed correctly).

I don't know why.
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like an encoding problem. Maybe try with a text file. In notepad write some Chinese text and save as txt, but make sure the encoding is set to Unicode (UTF-8). Then copy that file to your kindle.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
beffery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindasauge View Post
Sounds like an encoding problem. Maybe try with a text file. In notepad write some Chinese text and save as txt, but make sure the encoding is set to Unicode (UTF-8). Then copy that file to your kindle.
That's right. After I changed the encoding to UTF-8, all the chinese font is displayed correctly.

Thank you.

But I am still doubt about what's the use of CJK.tts in the fonts hack. Why couldn't it just use CJK.tts to show Chinese fonts .
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur

I think that one is only for Kindle 3, maybe?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #9
beffery

hmm,I think so .