Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
krazyleaf
krazyleaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, HTC Legend
Kobo Desktop Application

Does anyone know where I can get the desktop application other than from the Kobo device itself ?
krazyleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I was told that it hasn't been released (?!) anywhere but on the Kobo itself...

And just as well, say I. It has no instructions on what it really does, and it is not intuitive at all.

Why do you want it, except as a bad example... ?
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
krazyleaf

Is there another program that you may recommend syncing with?

I'm new with the Kobo.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyleaf View Post
Is there another program that you may recommend syncing with?
For managing an ebook library Calibre is fantastic.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

For managing DRM content I think people use Adobe Digital Editions.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 AM   #5
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Does anyone know where I can get the desktop application other than from the Kobo device itself ?
I downloaded the desktop application, when I bought the Kobo... that was from Borders, Australia
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
krazyleaf

Thanks. I'll try calibre. Does anyone use the Kobo on Windows & Linux?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yes, Kobo on Windows 7 Pro edition. No issues specific to Windows. You have installed the "desktop application" which comes on the device itself, right?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
I do not use the Kobo software at all, at this point Calibre does everything I need very well. When an update comes, and the responses from folks on here are good, I will fire up the Kobo software and update my Kobo. Other than that, I see no reason at all to use it.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
krazyleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Yes, Kobo on Windows 7 Pro edition. No issues specific to Windows. You have installed the "desktop application" which comes on the device itself, right?
I have but I've lost it from the device. I'm trying to find a download for it.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
krazyleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
I do not use the Kobo software at all, at this point Calibre does everything I need very well. When an update comes, and the responses from folks on here are good, I will fire up the Kobo software and update my Kobo. Other than that, I see no reason at all to use it.
If you purchase a book online from a website, does Calibre update/sync the device?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
If you purchase a book online from a website, does Calibre update/sync the device?
If you buy books in ePub format you should be able to add them using Adobe Digital Editions. If the books are DRM free you can use Calibre or even just drag and drop onto the reader.

I have found boat loads of DRM free books out there and use Calibre to transfer them. The only time I use Adobe Digital Editions is if I grab an eBook from the library but it works just fine.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
urbanite
urbanite began at the beginning.

Quote:
I can't find the software any place ... the Chapters / Indigo website (Canada) in FAQs states the following:
The Kobo Desktop Application is software you install onto your PC or Mac computer, which allows you to manage your eBook library, shop for eBooks, transfer eBooks to your eReader, and read your eBooks on your computer. You can install the Kobo Desktop Application software when you first setup your eReader, or you can just download it from the Kobobooks.com website-it will be available May 2010.
That hasn't been updated since March. And the software doesn't seem to be available on Kobobooks.com (not sure why it'd be there anyway ... more likely would be koboereader.com)
urbanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I have but I've lost it from the device. I'm trying to find a download for it.
How did you "lose" the desktop software from the device?

It's located on the Kobo if you plug it in and use Windows Explorer to locate the Kobo drive (it shows up as "F:" in my case). There are four directories, including Desktop Installers; click on that and you get Mac OS and Windows folders; click on the Windows one and there is one file: DesktopInstaller.exe; click on that and it installs on your PC.

Kobo's instruction file is here: http://www.koboereader.com/pdf/Kobo_...tall_Guide.pdf

Have you tried a complete reset? BTW, have you e-mailed Kobo support? I have had a good experience with them lately.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 06-06-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added directory path to installer files
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #14
krazyleaf

Thumbs up

Thanks to all the replies. The site is very helpful.

P.S. Thanks for the link RedRoverJ! Much Appreciated!!!!