Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #16
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceless View Post
And I got this today.

"We are sorry that it is taking longer than expected to get the firmware update out to resolve the issues for you. The last update we had from our development team is that the release for that update will be in late June.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team"
Interesting, I just received an answer from Kobo about my inquiry and they said EARLY June. I will send a reply and ask them if that is an 'official' answer as they seem to be giving different answers to everyone. It's almost like they read the tone of the inquiry and base their answer on how close their answer can be to the truth and will also pacify the customer.

Here is my reply to their original e-mail re:early June, we'll see what happens.

"Is that an official timeline? This is a very big topic on the mobile read forum ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84970 ) and it seems that everyone who inquires gets vastly different answers. I am having battery issues with my kobo but want to wait for a firmware update before I decide if I am returning it. I don't want to wait much longer."

Last edited by Duiker; 05-30-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #17
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
It's almost like they read the tone of the inquiry and base their answer on how close their answer can be to the truth and will also pacify the customer.
I don't know if I'm the minority, but this kind of pussyfooting around irks me off to no end. I get much more upset by people treating me like a delicate princess then I would by anything they might have said directly.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #18
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
I am having battery issues with my kobo but want to wait for a firmware update before I decide if I am returning it. I don't want to wait much longer."
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm worried that if I wait too long (I've owned my read for two weeks) I will be outside the return period (I don't even know what Border's return policy is), and that my claim of a sub-standard battery might not qualify me for a return under warranty.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #19
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Here's something else I dug up, an article from 11th May quoting Kobo as saying that the firmware update will happen in "60 days". Jeepers, I hope the reporter got their dates wrong! That's a full month later than some of the other ETA's provided by Kobo support staff.

http://www.bestereaders.net/kobo-rep...-few-glitches/

Quote:
Kobo has acknowledged technical issues with the electronic reader, blaming it on Adobe software compatability issues, and have advised that a firmware update is approximately 60 days out.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #20
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Ouch. So what is the time limit on returns? Does the new firmware fall outside of that date?

This may be a paranoid thought but, if the firmware fix can not address this issue will I be able to get a refund at that time?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #21
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie42 View Post
Ouch. So what is the time limit on returns? Does the new firmware fall outside of that date?

This may be a paranoid thought but, if the firmware fix can not address this issue will I be able to get a refund at that time?
That's my concern too.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #22
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast
Bureaucromancer began at the beginning.

You could always return and rebuy once you hear back about the update, whenever it comes (assuming the stock problems are cleared up of course).

Personally, I've decided that the device basically works for reading books, albeit with some fiddling, and I can live with that if I absolutely have to.
Bureaucromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #23
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucromancer View Post
You could always return and rebuy once you hear back about the update, whenever it comes (assuming the stock problems are cleared up of course).

Personally, I've decided that the device basically works for reading books, albeit with some fiddling, and I can live with that if I absolutely have to.
I can live with all the quirks but not a defective battery.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #24
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast
Bureaucromancer began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
I can live with all the quirks but not a defective battery.
Sounds fair enough to me.
Bureaucromancer is offline   Reply With Quote