Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #76
pmorris
pmorris began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
I didn't realize there are different versions of the plugin for Calibre and Sigil and ?? Anyway, I use it in Calibre. From the above, it does not appear to have the same usability in Calibre as it does in Sigil. I'd certainly like to be proven wrong... 8-)
pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #77
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris View Post
I didn't realize there are different versions of the plugin for Calibre and Sigil and ?? Anyway, I use it in Calibre. From the above, it does not appear to have the same usability in Calibre as it does in Sigil. I'd certainly like to be proven wrong... 8-)
The only "real" difference is the Sigil version allows you to pick and choose which files (one, all, or any selected combination of files) you want it to run on. Whereas the calibre version works on this Current html file or All html files.

I HAVE added a few more tags that can be altered/deleted in the Sigil version that apparently aren't in the calibre version (Span/Div Editor), but that's only through oversight on my part. I thought I'd updated both.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #78
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Tiny Feature Request:

I was working on a book where I wanted to flip nested <strong> -> <b> + <em> -> <i>.

Currently in the "Tag Name" dropdown, you can only choose <b> or <i> as an input. Would be nice to have <strong> and <em> added to that dropdown as well:

Attachment 154073
Try the test version of the plugin I'm attaching to see if it accommodates your request. It should match the Sigil plugin in ability (the Span/Div Editor portion) . If no problems arise, I'll update the original post with this version.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-17-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #79
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Plugin officially updated to v0.3.3 (p, em, and strong tags added).
Old 01-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #80
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Plugin officially updated to v0.3.3 (p, em, and strong tags added).
Does this also catch the problem I mentioned at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=67 above ?

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #81
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Does this also catch the problem I mentioned at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=67 above ?

BobC
No it doesn't. The only update was to the Span/Div Edit portion of the "Toolbag." The Smarten Punctuation tool remains unchanged. The limitations of the underlying SmartyPants algorithm are at fault there. Unfortunately, I'm pretty-much done trying to tweak the SmartyPants code. At this point, nearly every fringe case I try to "fix", merely introduces other issues. Sorry.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-18-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #82
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
No it doesn't. The only update was to the Span/Div Edit portion of the "Toolbag." The Smarten Punctuation tool remains unchanged. The limitations of the underlying SmartyPants algorithm are at fault there. Unfortunately, I'm pretty-much done trying to tweak the SmartyPants code. At this point, nearly every fringe case I try to "fix", merely introduces other issues. Sorry.
Fair enough - if the problem is with someone else's code then it's sensible not to try fixing it anyway - you might have to rebuild it from the ground up and even then miss some other problem. I'm aware of the issue now and have a saved search that I run that corrects the problem after running Smarten Punctuation.

Just a tad surprised no-one else seems to have noticed the wrong closing quotes.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:39 AM   #83
pmorris
pmorris began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
How do I have the plug-in operate on ALL the HTML files? Each time I've tried without selecting a single file, it reports no file is selected and returns a null. If I select all the files, it only acts on one. What am I doing wrong here?

Quote:
The only "real" difference is the Sigil version allows you to pick and choose which files (one, all, or any selected combination of files) you want it to run on. Whereas the calibre version works on this Current html file or All html files.

I HAVE added a few more tags that can be altered/deleted in the Sigil version that apparently aren't in the calibre version (Span/Div Editor), but that's only through oversight on my part. I thought I'd updated both.
pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:11 AM   #84
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorris View Post
How do I have the plug-in operate on ALL the HTML files? Each time I've tried without selecting a single file, it reports no file is selected and returns a null. If I select all the files, it only acts on one. What am I doing wrong here?
The buttons in the toolbar should have an arrow indicating it has a menu. Click on that and the menu opens. There should be an option for "Current file". If that is selected (has a tick next to it), pressing the button will operate on the HTML file you are currently viewing. Unselecting the option will get the tool to operate on all HTML files.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #85
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
<<an arrow indicating it has a menu>>
I used the tool (tediously) a long time before I realized that. The menu should be considered a hidden feature. It would be nice to indicate that hidden feature on the main dialog. It could be argued that the more rational default setting would be ALL instead of CURRENT.
Otherwise, this is a GREAT tool!
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #86
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Merkey View Post
<<an arrow indicating it has a menu>>
I used the tool (tediously) a long time before I realized that. The menu should be considered a hidden feature.
Since so many of calibre's own main menu items have the exact same "hidden" menu feature, I didn't think people would be all that confused by the concept.

Quote:
It could be argued that the more rational default setting would be ALL instead of CURRENT.
You could argue it, but I'd never agree with it. I'm not going to be responsible for someone trashing a book because they didn't understand what a plugin was doing. Defaulting to the current file only allows them to test things out on a single file/chapter. Once they understand what's going on and they trust the process, they can switch it to "All HTML Files" and that setting will persist for as long as they want it to. Baby steps before running.

Quote:
Otherwise, this is a GREAT tool!
Thanks, I use it a lot (the Sigil version more often these days, but still...).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-20-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #87
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Diap,
<<Since so many of calibre's own main menu items have the exact same "hidden" menu feature, I didn't think people would be all that confused by the concept.>>

Calibre is a useful software but not a very good example of usability and interface design principles. Objectively, the ALL choice of your fine plug-in is hidden, even if one should click on the odd little arrow. Why? Because the relevant widget item is labelled "Edit Current File Only." What could be very visible as checkboxes or radio button choices are not present. The only difference in choices is shown by a checkmark in front of the label (not standard) and if the user should click on the label (not standard) then even this difference is not visible because the dialog automatically disappears upon user click. See what I mean?

A few visible alterations could remedy this. This non-standard behavior is not a great crime, but it certainly fooled me for a long while.

I think when programmers sweat to create something really useful, they should take that extra interface step to invite the user into the wonderful secret.

Excuse me for pushing my opinion in this minor matter. Interface design was what my many bosses paid me generously for, back when I was into working for a living.

Last edited by Brett Merkey; 01-20-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:48 PM   #88
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Calibre is a useful software but not a very good example of usability and interface design principles.
Regardless of whether or not one thinks calibre is a " 'good' example of usability and interface design principles," it's not unreasonable to expect that a user who has any familiarity with it (and let's face it: calibre newcomers aren't jumping right to ebook-editing, let alone utilizing third-party Editor plugins) would be able to grasp the concept. Or ask around. That's what these threads are for.

Quote:
I think when programmers sweat to create something really useful, they should take that extra interface step to invite the user into the wonderful secret.

Excuse me for pushing my opinion in this minor matter. Interface design was what my many bosses paid me generously for, back when I was into working for a living.
I don't think I will (excuse you). I've never been too keen UI experts popping in to say "what's wrong" with the design of something I threw together in a few hours (a few years ago) and decided to share. It comes across as a bit condescending.

It's all open source, though. So feel free to fork the github repo, and make it as user friendly as you want. I truly won't mind. Or submit a pull request and I'll consider it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-20-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #89
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre has a CONSISTENT interface.

Weather you or I like it is not material (but I am ambivalent on this.)
It works
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #90
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead

@Diap,
<<It's all open source, though. So feel free to fork the github repo, and make it as user friendly as you want. I truly won't mind.>>

In our modern world, everything is open source...
As for forking githubs and programming environment, that is really not necessary, is it? I dumped your main.py into NotePad and changed the label on the widget to:
'Click to toggle editing Current vs All files'

The label change by itself gives the appropriate hint to any dumb user like me that there is a hidden feature to be investigated.

Last edited by Brett Merkey; 01-24-2017 at 12:55 PM.