Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #136
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
I hate sounding crochety, but new tablets are less and less impressive. Ever year you can almost predict the press releases: higher resolution screen, better audio, lighter and faster. Except, none of those things are usually astronomically different than a previous model.
For me, 323 ppi, 1920x1200 on 7", is an improvement of astronomic usability proportions. It makes tablets actually viable reading devices, and genuine alternatives to e-ink readers.

Gradual improvements are normal in many areas of consumer electronics, computers included. You don't have to buy a new one every year.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:39 AM   #137
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
For me, 323 ppi, 1920x1200 on 7", is an improvement of astronomic usability proportions. It makes tablets actually viable reading devices, and genuine alternatives to e-ink readers.

Gradual improvements are normal in many areas of consumer electronics, computers included. You don't have to buy a new one every year.
Yes, what can you expect for 200 bucks? These devices are pretty good inspite of being so dirt cheap. But the manufacturers will try to save wherever they can.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #138
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

So true. I would get one if I could justify the expense. I'll wait til next year, when they go on sale.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #139
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
I wouldn't get one of these. The Nexus 7-2 is pretty good, but it doesn't come close to the iPad Mini in the quality of its apps, use of a stylus (Adonit), and lots of other things. If the Mini comes out with a retina screen (the present one is terrible), I'll get one the moment it appears. Why get a dumbed-down tablet like the Fire whose main purpose is to enable Amazon to sell you things? You're missing 90% of what a tablet should do. For reading on a backlit screen, the Nexus is the best deal at present, as far as I can see. If Apple can get its act together, the retina iPad Mini will be even better (using Marvin, which is superior to any of the Android readers, imo).
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #140
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
I wouldn't get one of these. The Nexus 7-2 is pretty good, but it doesn't come close to the iPad Mini in the quality of its apps, use of a stylus (Adonit), and lots of other things.
I had the same concern about Android apps when I was contemplating whether I'd switch. A month later, I can say that I have been able to find adequate and partly even better alternatives for every iOS apps that I used frequently. I think the quality-of-apps argument held water two or three years ago, but doesn't apply anymore, at least outside of niches, but that goes both ways.

Can't comment on the stylus issue since if that was a concern to me, I'd have bought a Galaxy Note, which does that better than any non-Wacom device, though now with the Nexus and new Fire out, the Note's resolution seems low.

The "lots of other things" ... well, I know what lots of other things I can now do that I never could do on the iPad:
  • connect an external hard drive,
  • access the file system,
  • add/remove files wirelessly (rarely worked for me with iTunes, and not at all since iTunes 11.x),
  • code a small app and install it on the tablet directly, without needing a Mac,
  • use a mobile controller like the MOGA Pro that is supported by a surprising number of quality games, which makes the device a console replacement.
  • install anything I want whether a third party believes I should have that software (e.g. Adblock Plus, which is essentially banned on iOS),
  • have more and better reader apps available (Marvin is pretty good, but Moon+ paired with Calibre Companion is light years ahead),
  • use Flash in the browser and get superior HTML5 performance,
  • get seamless integration with Google services, which matters for my work.

Those are just the things that matter to me personally. Plus, Apple devices are substantially more expensive and you can't take advantage of same-platform competition, because there is only one player in the iOS market. I think iOS devices falling behind in terms of innovation is a result of that. They used to lead innovation, and now they play the catch-up game. I can buy a new Android device every year, but I probably couldn't justify getting a new iOS device every year.

I invested substantially into the iOS ecosystem (in over three years), but I'm glad I made the switch. I feel I get more out of the Nexus 7 than I ever did from the iPad. It feels much more like a mobile computer than something that is chiefly aimed at media consumption with someone constantly watching over your back and telling you what you can and can't do, and if you are allowed to, how exactly you have to do it.

Even if the Nexus had cost as much as a mini, I think I'd still prefer the Android device. Just the ease of throwing together a quick app in Java or Basic4Android and then slapping it on the tablet is fantastic, or being able to create folders, move around files, etc. in the built in SD memory. I don't "hate" iOS or Apple, and I think they did a lot for the rise of the tablet, but I'm glad that there are real and better alternatives now.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #141
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
. Why get a dumbed-down tablet like the Fire whose main purpose is to enable Amazon to sell you things? You're missing 90% of what a tablet should do. For reading on a backlit screen, the Nexus is the best deal at present, as far as I can see.
I'd love to get one of those, too. Maybe next year when they go on clearance.

In just about every way, my Nook HD is better than both the Fire and the Nexus. It is high resolution and has an SD card slot. So I don't need any of the new Fires or the new Nexus. Even though they are pretty
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #142
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
In just about every way, my Nook HD is better than both the Fire and the Nexus. It is high resolution and has an SD card slot. So I don't need any of the new Fires or the new Nexus. Even though they are pretty
I got the chance to play with the N7.2 in-store last week and wasn't as impressed with the screen as I expected to be. I loved the incognito black form and design, but the IPS panel seemed less beautiful and more squint-worthy than others I've used with a comparable ppi.

I'd like to spend more time with it to make sure my initial impression wasn't wrong. My sense of the Nexus 7.2 might be colored by past experiences with Asus.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-28-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:53 AM   #143
Ghiizhar
Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Simple rule of thumb: if you want Android, buy Nexus. If you want an appliance and don't care what the plumbing is like, then maybe the Fire's will do.
Bingo! We have a winner.....

99% of the folks I know that have Fires do not even know what Android is, and probably would be hard-pressed to define an "operating system".

BTW I am an IT manager for a mid size company so I know a lot of folks, with a lot of devices. The geeks/nerds that know what an O/S is tend to favor Android, but even a few of them have Fires and iPads, and they LIKE them.

Persons that want pure Android have no business complaining about Fires - there are so many other options. Personally, I have an iPad, Fire, and a Nexus. and I just pre-ordered an 8.9 HDX
Ghiizhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #144
Ghiizhar
Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Slanted control buttons. Ugh.

Hate the new Amazon branding on the back too. If I wanted to advertise that I was using something I'd bought on Amazon, I'd just cut the box they ship it in into a case.
Doesn't really bother me as my tablets are always in cases. I am however amused at the majority of iThing cases that have a circular cutout on the back to display the Apple logo.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #145
Mivo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiizhar View Post
99% of the folks I know that have Fires do not even know what Android is, and probably would be hard-pressed to define an "operating system".
The fact that many people are clueless when it comes to technical aspects, either by choice or because companies prefer to keep them that way, doesn't invalidate a discussion about the pros and cons of a new tablet.

I learn a lot from forum discussions and gain new insights, and that may be true for others, too (case in point, I didn't know that the Nexus 7 can be connected to a TV via the SlimPort, with an adapter). The Fire HDX costs as much as the Nexus 7 (2103), but lacks some aspects of the latter and the re-branded and modified Android OS of the Fire limits what you can do with it. On the upside, it features better integration with Amazon's services. What's wrong with discussing this?

Quote:
Persons that want pure Android have no business complaining about Fires - there are so many other options.
People here aren't really complaining about the Fire not having some of the Nexus' features, and vice versa. The complaints are about previous Fire devices not receiving the new version of the Amazon OS (which is an older Android version).
Old 09-29-2013, 01:36 AM   #146
Ghiizhar

Quote:
The fact that many people are clueless when it comes to technical aspects, either by choice or because companies prefer to keep them that way, doesn't invalidate a discussion about the pros and cons of a new tablet.

I learn a lot from forum discussions and gain new insights, and that may be true for others, too (case in point, I didn't know that the Nexus 7 can be connected to a TV via the SlimPort, with an adapter). The Fire HDX costs as much as the Nexus 7 (2103), but lacks some aspects of the latter and the re-branded and modified Android OS of the Fire limits what you can do with it. On the upside, it features better integration with Amazon's services. What's wrong with discussing this?

People here aren't really complaining about the Fire not having some of the Nexus' features, and vice versa. The complaints are about previous Fire devices not receiving the new version of the Amazon OS (which is an older Android version).
I agree that discussion is good thing, and I also learn a lot from them. My post focused only on the "complaints" about the Fire not being pure Android. There were at least three persons that disliked "forked" Android.

The Fire is truly the incorrect device to purchase if you must have pure Android. 100% of my friends and family that have Fires really enjoy them and have never even mentioned the word "Android".
Old 09-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #147
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have no intention of upgrading to this model. A lack of key hardware features and Amazon's forked Android make it overpriced compared to the Nexus 7. Compared to last year's Fire HD, it's still overpriced for my intended use. I was able to get a new Fire HD and Otterbox case for $158. Couldn't even begin to approach that pricing with the new model.

Bottom line - I'm very happy with my current Fire.
I have the KF1 andthe new versions lack the same features of the gen1 device... no Bluetooth & no SDHC. card slot. I cannot stand being tethered to the device to hear the audio privately. my BT stereo headsets make all my portable devices much nicer forward use them,

For example right now my headset is connected to my Asus TF70Ot and my phone. I have video playing on the tablet if I get a call the media pauses on tablet then the phone takes over the connection, when the call ends whatever was playing on the other device resumes.

The only advantage the KF has is you can download your Amazon video content to the device for watching away from wireless access. Funny here at Gen3 of the KF nothing has improved at the fundamental use level. The only changes are basically fluff & feathers...nothing substantive for my use case.

Origami cases are nifty looking though... whoopie?? MIMO is nice to...if the person has a router/AP which supports it...

Last edited by rkw; 09-29-2013 at 03:51 AM.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #148
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
I have the KF1 andthe new versions lack the same features of the gen1 device... no Bluetooth & no SDHC. card slot. I cannot stand being tethered to the device to hear the audio privately. my BT stereo headsets make all my portable devices much nicer forward use them,
It may not have a memory card slot but the Kindle Fire HD and HDX has Bluetooth. "...built-in Bluetooth with support for A2DP compatible stereo headphones and speakers."
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote