Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Float Question (ADE)

I am currently working on a book which has formula numbers down the right hand side of the page.

In ADE, it seems to drop the formula number down a line, instead of floating to the right edge of the same line. (Sigil looks as I expected).

I was wondering if anyone out there has run into this same problem, and what sort of code they used to fix the situation.

Currently, I am using this code:

Code:
<p class="center margintop">Formula Formula Formula <span class="floatright">(##)</span></p>
Where the relevant CSS:

Code:
.center {
	text-indent: 0;
	text-align: center;
}

.margintop {
	margin-top: 1em;
}

span.floatright {
	float: right;
}
I have attached four things to this post:
  • image of the original book
  • the way my EPUB currently looks in ADE (marked with arrows)
  • the way it looks in Sigil (marked with arrows)
  • WIP EPUB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADEFloat.png
Views:	343
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	104460   Click image for larger version

Name:	SigilFloat.png
Views:	332
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	104461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Original.png
Views:	318
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	104462  
Attached Files
File Type: epub [04.15.2013][Cover]Brusciani-Turroni,Constantino.-.The.Economics.of.Inflation.epub (1.04 MB, 169 views)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 04-15-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I know everybody scowls and tries to avoid them, but have you considered using two-column tables for these? Without borders, if so desired, but maybe using a "dotted" bottom border on the cells could substiture for the dot-leaders in the original book.

Ok, silly answer. Just brain-storming.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 04-16-2013 at 01:52 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
I know everybody scowls and tries to avoid them, but have you considered using two-column tables for these?
Meh, the thought has passed through my mind, but float is the way to handle this (as you can see it looks beautiful in Sigil!), now with the help of MobileRead, I just have to figure out how to beat ADE into submission!

This is maybe the 8th book I have run into with this dilemma.

I can't be the only one who has run into this same problem when converting to EPUBs/MOBIs.

Quote:
Ok, silly answer. Just brain-storming.
No answer is a silly answer! (ok ok that was a lie )
Old 04-16-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No answer is a silly answer!
/snicker/

I hope you find a solution, I will absolutely steal it!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
ha, i just ran into this problem in a book i'm working on literally 10 minutes ago. in the past i've broken up the numbers and the corresponding text into 2 elements, and then added the floated element above the non-floated element in the html. seems to work across readers, but if someone had a saner solution i'd be grateful for it.

here's what i'm using now to float a number inline with a block of text:

Code:
<p style="float:right;">(##)</p>

<p>here's some text with a number floated to the right of it</p>
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Here's an ePub showing both float left and right.
I use spans in the paragraph but they are both defined before the text of the paragraph, (otherwise they don't float properly.) Works with my Sony reader which is ADE based. (I think this is really the same as mzmm's solution, but I prefer using span.)

.cen { text-align:center }
.fll { float:left }
.flr { float:right }

<p class="cen"><span class="fll">1</span><span class="flr">1</span>Text</p>
Attached Files
File Type: epub Floats.epub (2.2 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by Agama; 04-16-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
I hope you find a solution, I will absolutely steal it!
Impossible to "steal" something which is intangible!! Are we not all here to make better ebooks?

But feel free to copy/emulate what we learn here in this topic!

Also, feel free to also take a look at any of the 100+ books I have worked on over the past year (almost all Non-Fiction Economics books) and give comments/tips/suggestions. It will be much appreciated.

I also must begin compiling all these tips/tricks I have absorbed from the forums into one ultimate resource. Sometimes these goodies just disappear into the abyss... never to be seen again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmm View Post
ha, i just ran into this problem in a book i'm working on literally 10 minutes ago.
Oh? Which book?

Quote:
here's what i'm using now to float a number inline with a block of text:

Code:
<p style="float:right;">(##)</p>

<p>here's some text with a number floated to the right of it</p>
Thanks, but I was aiming more for the "one line" solution.. although this looks to be viable as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Here's an ePub showing both float left and right.
I use spans in the paragraph but they are both defined before the text of the paragraph, (otherwise they don't float properly.) Works with my Sony reader which is ADE based. (I think this is really the same as mzmm's solution, but I prefer using span.)
I spent a few minutes on Agama's test EPUB, and I believe I have figured out what the problem is:

This code works fine in ADE (as Agama's EPUB shows) (See Image 1):

Code:
<p class="cen"><span class="fll">(1)</span> <span class="flr">(1)</span> A lot more text than normal Text</p>
This code does not work fine in ADE (See Image 2):

Code:
<p class="cen"><span class="fll">(1)</span>A lot more text than normal Text <span class="flr">(1)</span></p>
I even tried this (no space), but it was also dropped down a line:

Code:
<p class="cen"><span class="fll">(1)</span>A lot more text than normal Text<span class="flr">(1)</span></p>
Quite frustrating... I wanted the formula number to still be on the right side if the floating failed.... now it seems as if I will have to move them all to the beginning of the formula to appease the ADE gods.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ADEFloatTest1.png
Views:	279
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	104498   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADEFloatTest2.png
Views:	291
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	104499  
Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

For another way to set it up with two separate paragraphs, check out Toxaris' suggestion in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208541
If you adjust the width, it allows two paragraphs side-by-side.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 04-17-2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: change info
Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Gremlins at work?....
I hate those gremlins... and your edit, isn't that solution exactly what I just wrote in my post?

Quote:
For another way to set it up with two separate paragraphs, check out Toxaris' suggestion in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208541
If you adjust the width, it allows two paragraphs side-by-side.
Thank you, could be something else to put in my back pocket.

Hmmmm... trying to get text boxes eh? This is some CSS I stripped out of a book I purchased/read, and now I use it all the time in my own EPUBs if I ever need to recreate a box (see attached image for how it looks):

Code:
div.textbox {
	background-color:#D1D3D4;
	border-bottom: 3px double;
	border-top: 3px double;
	border-left: 3px double;
	border-right: 3px double;
	padding: 1em;
	line-height: 1.7em;
	text-align: center;
}
I think it looks quite good on eink as well. Of course, you could cut out the grey background for your own purposes, and just stick with the nice box.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TextBox.png
Views:	540
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	104500  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #10
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Quote:
isn't that solution exactly what I just wrote in my post?
Yup. I realized that 10 minutes later. Moral, don't try to post from work while you are answering phones. Confusion reigns. And when you are easily confused to begin with, it is a lose-lose situation.

I like the text box, I will be trying that out soon. Thank you.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #11
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Yup. I realized that 10 minutes later. Moral, don't try to post from work while you are answering phones. Confusion reigns. And when you are easily confused to begin with, it is a lose-lose situation.
Do they know you are doing this at work? Unacceptable! (I take forum breaks all the time at work as well.)

Quote:
I like the text box, I will be trying that out soon. Thank you.
Great. I am so glad when I run into something cool in EPUBs that I read, because I can then just go take a look at the CSS and begin using it in my own.

I also love/hate when the publishers have those huge CSS files that they stick in the EPUB.... lots of classes to mess around with in there to figure out what they do.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #12
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
This code works fine in ADE

Code:
<p class="cen"><span class="fll">(1)</span><span class="flr">(1)</span>A lot more text than normal Text</p>
If this code works then why can't you use it?

or, since you only want the right float:

Code:
<p class="cen"><span class="flr">(1)</span>A lot more text than normal Text</p>
I would also use .flr { float:right; padding-left:2em } to ensure that the float is separated from the main text.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #13
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
If this code works then why can't you use it?
I was just clarifying the sections in red in my "don't work" examples. (Compared with the code that DOES work from your EPUB test).

Quote:
I would also use .flr { float:right; padding-left:2em } to ensure that the float is separated from the main text.
Fantastic, I will definitely have to do more testing in the coming days with padding/margins and see if I can get something that satisfies me.

Thank you.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Impossible to "steal" something which is intangible!! Are we not all here to make better ebooks?

But feel free to copy/emulate what we learn here in this topic!
+1

Quote:
Thanks, but I was aiming more for the "one line" solution.. although this looks to be viable as well.

Oh? Which book?
it's 1000+ page biannual income-tax guide book, would post some samples but it's copyrighted.

although floating numbers inline hadn't occurred to me, think i still personally prefer separating them into discreet blocks. because there are so many back-references in the book i was working on, i end up with things like

<p class="paragraph_number"><a id="ref300"/><span class="bold underline">300</span></p>

good to hear that you found a solution though!
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
it's 1000+ page biannual income-tax guide book, would post some samples but it's copyrighted.
1000+ pages... brutal. Hopefully you are working right from the source though? That makes things a million times easier.

My job involves mostly working from the dreaded PDF scans. Whenever I get to work right from the original InDesign files/Word Documents it is like music to my eyes.

This EPUB of "The Economics of Inflation: A Study of Currency Depreciation in Post-War Germany" by Constantino Bresciani-Turroni was 464 pages of pure....... "fun".

I am telling you, the Typesetter/Publisher in 1937/1968 decided, "let us pick the WORST POSSIBLE everything to make Tex2002ans's conversion hell".

Hopefully my sacrifice is worth it though, I do this conversion once, and create a nearly 100% accurate conversion of the text. This EPUB/XHTML version will then be released for free online, for anyone to read/search/copy/paste/influence/learn from in the far future.

Quote:
good to hear that you found a solution though!
Thank you, hopefully others can use this as well.

Over the coming days, I will have to test this + the two line solution, and have to see how all of these look on the Kindle versions as well, and/or how gracefully it fails (if float is not available).

I will be sure to report any updates here.