Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
JStuart
JStuart began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
PRS T2 Price Increase

Hello everyone; this is my first post here.

After nearly 3 years using my Kindle Keyboard, I'm in the market for an 'upgrade'. Also I'd like to move away from being tied to the Amazon format. So last week I checked out the Sony PRS T2 which was available at the Sony Online Store for £99. Yesterday, the price was increased by 20%; today it costs £119.

If you add in the cost of buying a couple of accessories for the Sony Reader - say a leather cover and a wall charger - the total outlay is £180. This is a ridiculous price and I can't see Sony getting many customers willing to pay it.

A Kindle Paperwhite is now cheaper than the Sony PRS T2. I might decide to stick with Amazon and get a product which, I understand, has superior technology.

James.
JStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
yes this is ridiculous. the £99 was a christmas offer and the price before was £119. good to see that sony really has the finger on the pulse.
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
That's crazy. They are selling a inferior product at a more expensive price than their two big rivals in the UK (Kindle & Kobo)?!

If you really don't want to stick with Amazon, you could always try a Kobo Glo. It too is cheaper than the Sony at £99.

However, IMHO the best thing to do to avoid being 'tied' to a particular format is just pick whichever e-reader you think is best for you, and learn how to remove DRM from your ebooks and simply use Calibre to convert to whichever format you need.

Amazon's store wins hands down for me personally, but I also own a Sony reader and as I use Calibre to manage my library, it's only a couple of extra clicks to convert them for reading on my Sony. Even if I was to get rid of my Kindle, I'd still probably use Amazon more than other stores, but I'm not restricted now and won't be in future immaterial of what e-reader I use.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
JStuart
JStuart began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Though I've studied its specifications, I've only seen images of the PRS-T2 on the Sony website.

Does anyone think that the build quality of the PRS-T2 justifies it being more expensive than the Kindle PaperWhite Wi-Fi ?

James.
JStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
I think the Sony T2 is a much better product than the Kindle or Kobo offerings, If you want to buy a case and a charger for the T2 don't buy from sony, they are available elsewhere on the internet for a lot less than sony charge.
I do agree that sony putting the price back up to £119 is not going to attract many buyers, mind you they never really told anyone the price was reduced. Sony has a strange approach to advertising.

I paid £16 for a 4gB micro sd card, a wall charger and a leather case add in the £99 for the T2 and that is a total of £115. Even at £119 that would only be £135

Last edited by Skillganon; 01-30-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillganon View Post
I think the Sony T2 is a much better product than the Kindle or Kobo offerings
Not saying you're wrong or right, but what do you find much better?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Now I have a Kindle Paperwhite I could never go back to a non lighted ereader. I used to love Sony ereaders but not now.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, here too....even though I have nice cases and lights for my Sonys, they seem so dull and dreary after using the Paperwhite.

Thought I was quoting the person above me, but got the wrong quote! I also would like to know what the poster found better. Organization is better, yes. but reading experience is not better on my T1 than on my Paperwhite.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It would be nice to see Sony come out with a reader with the higher rez screen and a light for those who want a light, but follow the design style they used back in the days of the 505 and 650.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I would SO buy a front lit Sony with higher resolution! Even if it was exactly the same as my T1 but with a front light, it would be mine.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
It would be nice to see Sony come out with a reader with the higher rez screen and a light for those who want a light, but follow the design style they used back in the days of the 505 and 650.
Agree about wanting a front lit reader based on the x50 series. I still love the portability of my 5" Sony, not sure I'd want the extra bulk of a 6" even with a light though. Will have to see when they finally do come out with one. If based on the T-x form, I think I'd rather go to Kobo or Nook if I ever decided I had to have a lighted reader. But I'm still perfectly happy with my 350s.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'm getting more and more disillusioned with Sony myself, it's doubtful if my next reader will be from them. I just see them stripping out feature's lately when everyone else is adding them for less money.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 AM   #13
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
Quote:
I like the bookshelf which allows me to list the authors any way I like, I like the ability to group books by type. I like having the ability to add sd cards to increase the storage. I like the fact that epub is the chosen format for the public library and is also used by sony. I like tha fact that the sony will allow several different formats.
I have read that the Kobo software is somewhat unstable.

I just prefer all the good things about the sony product, also dont forget they did invent the eink reader
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote