Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
erpol
erpol began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle touch, Kindle paperwhite
Can I prevent changing the fields directly in book list?

I'm in the habit of sharing Calibre book libraries with a number of people (family, friends), and I find it scary that its so easy to change ANY book field in the list just by lingering with the mouse on it, even the book title or author...

I didn't find any way to prevent this behavior from the settings, and if the option doesn't exist I would really like KG to add it in a future version - even if activated, nothing would prevent changing metadata from the MD pane, and it would make the app MUCH safer with reader-only non-geek public.

And while I'm on my X-mas wish-list, I'd also like more options in creating and formatting a book catalog (like taking a selection) - that would be awesome.

Anyway, thanks for the great job KG, I personally really like the s/w and use it a lot.
erpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Preferences->Tweaks->"Control behaviour of the book list". Then set double_click_on_library_view='edit_cell'. So that way it takes a double click on a cell in the library view to start editing the value in there, much safer than the calibre default.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by erpol View Post
And while I'm on my X-mas wish-list, I'd also like more options in creating and formatting a book catalog (like taking a selection) - that would be awesome.
You can append a custom field to the comments section. Create a custom field to contain the selections you want added, then specify that custom field in the catalog options. See the Creating Catalogs sticky for more info.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
erpol

Thanks, this really helps! Wouldn't have found it on my own..

I could still use an option in the preferences to disable editing in the list altogether, though...
Old 11-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks, this really helps! Wouldn't have found it on my own..

I could still use an option in the preferences to disable editing in the list altogether, though...
I use the option that require I press F2 to edit
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If it were my library that I was giving total access to other family members, I would give them access to a duplicate copy of my library only. Anytime I made a change to my library, I'd use a batch file to recopy the real library over to the duped one that others use. Since ebooks are so small, it shouldn't cause any space issues, but would give you total peace of mind about their accidentally editing something.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
erpol

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I use the option that require I press F2 to edit
I didn't see this option in the settings, can you point me to it?
Thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
erpol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
If it were my library that I was giving total access to other family members, I would give them access to a duplicate copy of my library only. Anytime I made a change to my library, I'd use a batch file to recopy the real library over to the duped one that others use. Since ebooks are so small, it shouldn't cause any space issues, but would give you total peace of mind about their accidentally editing something.
I agree that this is the totally bulletproof solution, but it does add a level of complexity and hurdle that I'd rather avoid... Caliber being very slow on extractions and not too good at synchronizing libraries, a fresh copy of the "user" library would have to be made each time something was changed or added.

My preference still goes to an option that would block editing / deleting altogether.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I didn't see this option in the settings, can you point me to it?
Thanks!
F2 works now
That becomes the ONLY way if you set the tweak to 'do_nothing'.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book catalog, calibre behavior, feature request