Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #91
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
giggle....was able to go and name my new paperwhite already.

I planned to name it Galadriel. But at the moment it's Galadriel the Paperwaite.

I love the play on paperwhite.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #92
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I really thought I'd hate the Touch not having buttons. I don't miss them even a little bit.
That's good to know... I'm pretty sure I'll buy the Paperwhite, now that I'm reading Wired's Hands-On.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #93
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I'll miss the home button. I do use it on my Touch quite a bit.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #94
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
my kindle touch works just great. if i see the new kindle on display and am impressed by the screen...i'll think about upgrading...but I think I'll skip this generation and upgrade next year.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #95
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I preordered my WiFi Paperwhite, though I would prefer physical buttons for page turning. I think I'll hold on to my Kindle 4 to take to the beach - not sure you can turn pages on the Paperwhite through a ziplock bag.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #96
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I ordered KPW3G.

I like the 'time to end of chapter' status where 'percentage' used to be. Much more useful.

Looks like you can display cover images also. UI seems considerably cleaned up. The shallower bezel will be nice, not so much shadow cast and places where crud can wind up.

It really does appear the improved contrast is a function of having a screen that is always well lit. Not complaining, but it probably means you won't want to ever turn the light entirely off. The extra resolution should help also.

I wonder if they tried 'night mode' (white text on black background). Would like such a feature, just for fun.

Good news if existing covers can be used. I probably can get by without the magnetic wake/sleep feature, and I know a couple of people who would probably gladly trade me their nonlighted cover for my lighted one.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-06-2012 at 08:07 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #97
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I preordered my WiFi Paperwhite, though I would prefer physical buttons for page turning. I think I'll hold on to my Kindle 4 to take to the beach - not sure you can turn pages on the Paperwhite through a ziplock bag.
I read my 3 in the bath. : ) or it reads to me. whichever.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #98
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I read my 3 in the bath. : ) or it reads to me. whichever.
That's another thing: you should be able to have a waterproof case for a capacitative touch screen like KPW's (unlike IR touch). At least flexible enough to be able to turn pages if not for typing.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #99
brandon7s
brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Just preordered the Wi-fi only Paperwhite. It looks pretty dang good, though I do wish they would add page turn buttons! Still, it's an overall upgrade from my Kindle Touch.

I'm really excited about the light, as I read in the dark 50% of the time. I'm also really excited about the higher resolution. Curious to see how much better the screen looks with that.
brandon7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #100
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
I ordered the paperwhite 3G and the $599 kindle hd. I originally ordered the $499 one when I ordered my paperwhite but did not receive a shipping date so I switched and got a date.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #101
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Kindle HD 7 and Paperwhite for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleChickie View Post
I ordered the paperwhite 3G and the $599 kindle hd. I originally ordered the $499 one when I ordered my paperwhite but did not receive a shipping date so I switched and got a date.
I ordered the Kindle HD 7 with 32 Gb memory versus 7 Gb in my current Kindle Fire and a Paperwhite. The Paperwhite is due Oct 11 and the Kindle HD 7 is due Oct 25.

The 8.9" versions were simply too big to be packed in my wife's pocketbook.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #102
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I will miss audio. I liked listening to books when driving home. Not ideal, but it did the job, when the plot is tense and allowed no delays.

Less storage sucks.

But I still bought it. I couldn't pass on the front-lit.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #103
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
None of the new ones.

I bought my K4 less than a month ago, and I couldn't be more thrilled with it. After trying the Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch, Sony T1, this model has proven to surpass them all.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #104
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Paperwhite 3G + another K3 3G. I donated my previous K3 3G to my local library but find that I miss it. I've been waiting for the price to drop and since it has, I bought.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #105
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I confess to finding myself really underwhelmed by the announcement, despite my keen anticipation. More limited storage, no SD cards, no international ETA. Pending reviews, I think it'll be Kobo Glo for me.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote