Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
simon66
simon66 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Contrast Adjustment???

Hello! I have just bought a immaculate 600 due to wife wanting her 350 back after I have 'borrowed' it for a long time. I am a bit disappointed by the 600s 'sharpness' of fonts. I have installed PRS+ which has added some useful functions, but I was wondering if there are any add-ons available to control the contrast etc.
Any ideas/advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.
Simon
simon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon66 View Post
Hello! I have just bought a immaculate 600 due to wife wanting her 350 back after I have 'borrowed' it for a long time. I am a bit disappointed by the 600s 'sharpness' of fonts.
This was the big downside of the 600. Since the touchscreen on this model is a layer on top of the screen, contrast and sharpness of fonts suffered.

Quote:
I have installed PRS+ which has added some useful functions, but I was wondering if there are any add-ons available to control the contrast etc.
If it isn't already in your Sony menu (like on the X50 models) then there is no method I'm aware of for controlling the contrast.

You can try georgiaeink25 font. I have used this font for a few months now and love it. A member of the Russian forum at the-ebook.org made some modifications to the Georgia font to increase the contrast on E Ink readers. You can find them here.

Hope it helps.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Unfortunately it's really hard going to a 600 from a 350. Had I only tried the 600 I would have been perfectly happy with the one I bought, but unfortunately I tried my daughter's 350 and realized how much better screen it had. Sold the 600 and bough a 350 for myself as well. (And much later a 950, but that's another story)
I agree on the advice to try one of the more saturated Georgia fonts Dewanthny suggested.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Use a bold font and a book light.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
A black skin seems to brighten it up. Bold or heavier fonts make a difference.

I went back to my PRS-600 after using a pearl display and after a few days it stopped bothering me. I didn't use a skin or heavier fonts, I just realized it was better than good enough.

I now have a 350 and a T1 but I use my 600 for reading on the balcony.

Strangely enough I find the 600 interface much more functional. The 350 and 650 both skip around randomly on occasion, the T1 is missing the alphabetic navigation on the side and the search and delete functions seem to only work when they want to.

Oh well Sony giveth and Sony taketh away.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Atlos
Atlos began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600 SOny
Prs 600 Contras

If found near the Akku a screw, here you can adjust the contrast!
I rais up at my Prs600 at 100%, The Pictures in the (Ebooks) are not so bretty but the Letter´s are realy cool and better to read!

Sorry SONY but the PRS 600 was and is a mistake from you!

If you adjust the screw you must go to the next site (ebook) to see result!
You need a very small screwdriver!

All of this TIPS without waranty!!! THIS TIPS ALL OF YOUR OWN RISK!!!
Atlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Super bold font and a book light should fix it. I think Caecilia has a heavy font, which is bolder than bold, but it's not free. Look for heavy fonts. The default sony font is very hard to read. The most important upgrade is a book light.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlos View Post
If found near the Akku a screw, here you can adjust the contrast!
I rais up at my Prs600 at 100%, The Pictures in the (Ebooks) are not so bretty but the Letter´s are realy cool and better to read!

Sorry SONY but the PRS 600 was and is a mistake from you!

If you adjust the screw you must go to the next site (ebook) to see result!
You need a very small screwdriver!

All of this TIPS without waranty!!! THIS TIPS ALL OF YOUR OWN RISK!!!
What do you mean with "near the Akku" ?
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
simon66
simon66 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
I would also like to know what an Akku is.......Anybody have any idea?
simon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I would also like to know what an Akku is.......Anybody have any idea?
It's a rechargeable battery. At least it is in Germany, abbreviation for Akkumulator.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote