Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
kobo touch has a web browser

go into settings>wireless connection>web browser

Its pretty bad since its B/W but its was a big surprise and better then nothing

Last edited by wes101; 06-12-2011 at 02:16 PM.
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Can you post a picture?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
it's actually pretty good considering it's an eink device.
i'll try to snap a pic with my phone, prob won't do it justice.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
sorry for the crappy pics but you get an idea, the launch browser is located in the wireless menu
and then when you launch you go to google,
it is quite quick for eink, definitely great for text based sites where you want to read things.
the pics show up ok as well, but if any site has a mobile site it goes to that.
when visiting espn it automatically goes to espn mobile.
good for me to check box scores when reading

Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo1.jpg
Views:	4460
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	72652

Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo2.jpg
Views:	5831
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	72653
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes101 View Post
go into settings>wireless connection>web browser

Its pretty shitty since its B/W but its was a big surprise and better then nothing
So why did you buy a Kobo is it's ** because it doesn't do other then grayscale?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-11-2011 at 07:37 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
And not a moment too soon after people discovered the Nook's hidden browser. Go Kobo! Keep up the pressure!
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
omgfire
Enthusiast
omgfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Ipod Touch 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So why did you buy a Kobo is it's shitty because it doesn't do other then grayscale?
I'm sure, like me, he didn't buy it to browse the internet. Hes just pointing out that it has a web browser.
omgfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Sweet! I'm sure that it will come in handy in a pinch.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
Can it download epubs to memory? Until browsing OPDS is supported like with Stanza or the Trook firmware, browsing my Calibre server could be an workable alternative.
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgfire View Post
I'm sure, like me, he didn't buy it to browse the internet. Hes just pointing out that it has a web browser.
This. I didnt but it for a browser. I didnt know it had a browser till today. And it *** since its in B/W

Old 06-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
wes101
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So why did you buy a Kobo is it's *** because it doesn't do other then grayscale?
i meant the broswer is ***

Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
It's workable. It allows decent access to wikipedia, twitter, mobile facebook (haven't tried the latter). But the big news is certainly the ereader navigation including the touch screen. In Canada especially, it puts Sony in the tank: same Pearl screen and IR touch technology at the PRS-650 (assuming you can actually find one) and $110 cheaper AND it has wifi for on the fly syncing with other devices. Sweet!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #13
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
I played with it today. Turns out m.fanfiction.net works pretty well on it, which saves having to use tools to convert the stories into epubs.

I like fanfiction, but there's a lot of garbage out there so converting everything I want to sort through before doing so is kinda a pain.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #14
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
It's workable. It allows decent access to wikipedia, twitter, mobile facebook (haven't tried the latter). But the big news is certainly the ereader navigation including the touch screen. In Canada especially, it puts Sony in the tank: same Pearl screen and IR touch technology at the PRS-650 (assuming you can actually find one) and $110 cheaper AND it has wifi for onthe fly syncing with other devices. Sweet!
OMG! STOP! i can hardly stand it! i wanted a kindle, but now, its difficult to decide!!...
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #15
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastedpine View Post
Turns out m.fanfiction.net works pretty well on it.
So for example can you get books from http://bookserver.archive.org/catalog/ or must they be in html?
uli is offline   Reply With Quote