Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #1
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
File gets moved to Miscellaneous

Ok, I didn't get a screenshot because I went ahead and fixed the problem, but I'd like to know what I did, if possible from only a description.

I was paging down one of my files (if it matters, it was: OEBPS/file0018.xhtml) to see if I could spot any glaring errors. I routinely do this to each file in all books, so I had already done files 1 to 17.

What happens once in a while is that the file vanishes (so files jump from 16 to 18) and 17 is now found under Miscellaneous. To correct, I merely need to run Check Book, click the option to 'append to spine' and then put it back in the correct order. No big deal. I forgot to check this time, but I'm fairly sure the file remains as either xhtml or html, but I can't swear to it. This happens when I'm still in the file (because to move to the next file, I click the one under the highlight and of course the highlight is gone with the file).

I'd just like to figure out what I'm doing to cause this to happen! It might only happen once in 6 months, or it might happen twice in one week. But I've never been able to figure out WHY.

Any ideas?
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sounds like an accidental drag and drop?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

I just tried to drag and drop in an attempt to re-create, but no go (keeps the red circle). I didn't think that would do it, because I'm only - AFAIK - only touching the page down key, but didn't want to outright dismiss it either.

I've also just tried pressing page down key and 'accidentally' hitting other keys around, and that does nothing either.

I guess I'll have to wait until it happens again and try to remember not to fix it automatically. OH, I forgot to mention that it gets an orange splotch icon in front of the file name? Maybe that will help a bit?
Old 01-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Did you happen to also have the OPF open on a tab?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't think so, but it IS possible. Spell check sometimes opens the file, but I couldn't say if it did or not in this time.

I am currently going through more books, so I will consciously open the opf and leave the tab, and see if that re-creates it.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #6
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Ok, it just happened again, and the OPF was open.

I also noticed that when I opened the file, and started hitting the page down button, the preview didn't keep up as it usually does. Then I saw the file was gone from its place. I still cannot say that I touched any other key except the page down button, I'm as sure as I can that I didn't -- or at least now enough that I would even feel it.

Attached are 2 screenshots (ok, not exactly a 'splotch' for an icon, but...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum1.PNG
Views:	140
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	154176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum2.PNG
Views:	165
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	154177  
Old 01-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
I don't think so, but it IS possible. Spell check sometimes opens the file, but I couldn't say if it did or not in this time.

I am currently going through more books, so I will consciously open the opf and leave the tab, and see if that re-creates it.
Spell check should NOT look at (open) the OPF.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Um, it does? If there is a mistake in the Summary (or Description is the correct term) Metadata that I didn't fix, and I run spell check, that mistake shows up and it does open the OPF if I go look at the context, if it isn't clear.

To double check I wasn't wrong, I opened Edit Metadata, and inserted a mistake (holliday). I then opened the Editor and ran spell check. When I clicked on the word (as I would if checking context) it showed me, which is inside the OPF.

Now, 90% of the time, probably more, I don't have to check context, so the OPF doesn't get opened. I just remembered that at some point either before or after that file getting moved, I had seen the OPF opened because of spell check.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
That's your opinion

However the fact is: the spellchecker checks metadata elements, such as dc:description, dc:subject etc, in content.opf file for spelling 'mistakes'. Descriptions (i.e. blurbs, Comments...) often have them, and Subjects (i.e. tags) are often informal abbreviations (e.g. a WW1 buff might use BotS for Battle of the Somme). If you double click on the 'mistake' word in the spellchecker list the content.opf file is opened and the errant word is highlighted.

I routinely remove the dc:description, and dc:subjects from content.opf and refresh the spellchecker list - and put them back after with Polish.

I would welcome a "Check Metadata Spelling' checkbox in Preferences, default would be checked, which I would uncheck in a heartbeat.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-14-2017 at 04:09 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@MerlinMama - FWIW: in the interests of tidiness, I close all codeview windows (repeat Ctrl+W until they're all gone) before and after using tools such as Spellchecker and Reports.

I can't induce your problem, as you rightly point out its not drag drop.

The icon (dialog_warning.png) is a man falling backwards. So, I am wondering if you unchecked Show this warning again on a message at some time, but I can't see where to reset them back to checked, in Editor Preferences.

I've decided to never uncheck the Show . . . again options in calibre. I did initially - out of habit. But unlike some software, calibre doesn't issue warnings without good cause. In some cases, e.g. delete book are you sure, I question whether the option to never show the warning again should even exist.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-14-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #11
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@MerlinMama - FWIW: in the interests of tidiness, I close all codeview windows (repeat Ctrl+W until they're all gone) before and after using tools such as Spellchecker and Reports.
I will certainly try and remember that, although it does only happen rarely. If it is related, that does explain why I can have months between occurrences. Although it would have to be close them AFTER because double-clicking the words to check context if necessary is what opens the files...

Quote:
I am wondering if you unchecked Show this warning again on a message at some time, but I can't see where to reset them all back to checked in Editor Preferences.

BR
I don't have any disabled confirmation prompts. You can reset them under Preferences. At the bottom of the window, you have three buttons:
  • Restore all defaults,
  • Restore current defaults,
  • Restore confirmations

I clicked Restore confirmations, and it said I had none disabled.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
You can reset them under Preferences. At the bottom of the window, you have three buttons:
silly me, I was looking for a check box - I couldn't really believe Kovid would have omitted a means to reset them.

What other Tools might you have used - Set Semantics etc.

BR
Old 01-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What other Tools might you have used - Set Semantics etc.

BR
The only Tools I use are Check Book and Embed Fonts. Embed Fonts, however, is generally used last before saving, so I doubt that would be it. Well there's of course Spell Check which is under tools. On very old fanfiction, I also touch Smarten Punctuation, but that wasn't the case here.

I guess it will remain a mystery, unless something glaring happens that says "This is what causes that". I know I must do something, but can't for the life of me figure out what.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator

I found a way to get the result you show in your screen shot. Open the epub with the calibre library Unpack Tool, drag an html file out of the root to into the META-INF folder and rebuild the ePub.

I imagine one could do similar in the temporary folder the editor uses.

Hardly the sort of thing one would do inadvertently - but it might provide a hint to someone.

BR