Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
sjohnson717
sjohnson717 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Apple iPad
Exclamation arial is default font?

One of my chief complaints with the sony PRS-505 is that all of my books are in Arial. So imagine my surprise when I read there are other fonts. I have my RTF books formatted in Times in Word but they show as Arial in the ebook library software on my PC and in the book itself.

Can someone tell a newbie what I'm doing wrong?
sjohnson717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
sjohnson717
sjohnson717 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Apple iPad
OK, I think I'm an idiot. I just loaded the books into Word and re-did all the fonts to Times New Roman. They were in "Times" which is apparently different as far as Sony is concerned.
sjohnson717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnson717 View Post
One of my chief complaints with the sony PRS-505 is that all of my books are in Arial. So imagine my surprise when I read there are other fonts. I have my RTF books formatted in Times in Word but they show as Arial in the ebook library software on my PC and in the book itself.

Can someone tell a newbie what I'm doing wrong?
I think this only works with LRF format. YOu have to embed the font in the document. I'm not exactally sure how you do it. I am pretty sure that book designer will let you do it though.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Bookdesigner will let you embed different fonts for the lrf format. When you select make sony reader file you'll need to choose the styles tab. On the far right of the tab there is a field to add fonts. You can add in whatever you want and they will then be available to chose from your drop down menus. Be aware that embedding fonts in the document slows down the page turns quite a bit.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Yes, Book Designer lets you embed lots of fonts if you don't like the ones it comes with.

But it sounds as though SJohnson717 was dropping RTF documents directly into the Ebook library. This is fine, if you don't need a TOC or linked footnotes. But, as he has discovered, you need to experiment with the fonts to see what the Reader recognises.

SJohnson717, it might be worth experimenting with either Book Designer or Calibre because LRF files are much more compact than RTF files. Aslo you have the option of a table of contents etc.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert