Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-22-2021, 08:27 AM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
if you don't read library ebooks , why not?

Easy access to library ebooks was one of the main reasons I bought an ereader. I would never be able to afford to buy as many books as I read "free" from the library. My taxes help subsidize the library so I might as well enjoy the benefits.

I know there are people here on Mobileread who say they rarely or never read library books. I'm curious as to why. Is it because the library in your area doesn't offer ebooks, or has a poor selection? Do you like to reread a lot? Do you make a lot of annotations? Do you like to read the latest best-sellers without waiting on a hold list?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I didn't for a while. I didn't start until I got my Kobo Aura One with Overdrive built in. Before it was just too big a hassle IMO dealing with Adobe digital editions and side loading especially when my main OS was Linux. And when I was using Kindle it wasn't an option at all! (Overdrive only works with Kindle in the US)

Selection is also an issue that keeps me from using it more. There is for example more romance novels available from my library's eBook catalogue than the entirety of the non-fiction section which I prefer to read.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Three reasons.

1. E-libraries here aren't available on dedicated eink readers, only in apps and browsers. No Overdrive. And their selection is very poor (ebooks in general aren't popular here)

2. I want to edit the formatting. Couldn't do that with DRMed library books without removing the DRM

3. I reread often. Also I tend to read long series and often need to look something up in the earlier books to refresh my memory.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Poor selection, long waiting lists, timing (if I'm in the middle of one book, I feel like I need to set it aside to begin the borrowed book as soon as it's available so I don't lose my place in line).

Mostly it's because I'm a "free range" reader. I don't stockpile, and I don't work from a TBR list. I don't like planning my reading around circumstances I don't have control over. I like discovering an interesting book and being able to start reading it almost immediately.

I finish one book and then begin the process of looking for the next one to buy/read. Relying on libraries would force me to plan ahead. And I hate planning my reading ahead of time. I don't read a lot of bestsellers, but I do read a lot of newly released books from favorite authors.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-22-2021 at 08:52 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:57 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Poor selection, long waiting lists, timing (if I'm in the middle of one book, I feel like I need to set it aside to begin the borrowed book as soon as it's available so I don't lose my place in line).

Mostly it's because I'm a "free range" reader. I don't stockpile, and I don't work from a TBR list. I don't like planning my reading around circumstances I don't have control over. I like discovering an interesting book and being able to start reading it almost immediately.

I finish one book and then begin the process of looking for the next one to buy/read. Relying on libraries would force me to plan ahead. And I hate planning my reading ahead of time.
I'm much the same, except I do have a stockpile. That would actually be the fourth reason. I want to select a book and start reading. Not be forced to read something when it becomes available and I may no longer be in the mood for that specific book, or I want to read something else more at that moment.

The difference between us is that I don't usually go online to buy my next read, but select one from my previously bought and stored books. Of which there are thousands.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Just as an FYI, it won’t change your mind, you can now pass on a book when it becomes available to you and you don’t lose your place in line. One side benefit is that books become available faster than you’d expect, as people exercise the privilege; I see that especially in regard to audiobooks. I get it. Especially with longer ones, you might not have a lot of wiggle room to get it done if it’s not convenient to start it right away.

Curious; you obviously don’t have to answer: Ohio has some of the biggest OverDrive libraries in the country. Is there any system of reciprocity where someone in the boonies (not saying you are) can access Cleveland, say?

Speaking personally, I’m in no hurry to read anything so long waitlists don’t bother me.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I only read paper from the Library till I got an Android eink, because they (Munster and other Irish Libraries) use the Belinda Borrow box. In theory you can download via Windows and use ADE for the DRM, but that seemed too much bother for a library borrow.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:42 AM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I have a lot of books saved to a library wish list so if I want something that's available now, I'll look at the available books on my wishlist first.

I do occasionally buy a book rather than wait if it's something I'm especially interested in and the library wait is long, or if I have a store gift certificate to use.

I also find the suspend hold feature Issy mentioned useful if one of my holds becomes available while I am in the middle of something else. You just move one place down in line.

I don't edit formatting of ebooks. As long as I can adjust the font size and style I'm ok.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Just as an FYI, it won’t change your mind, you can now pass on a book when it becomes available to you and you don’t lose your place in line. One side benefit is that books become available faster than you’d expect, as people exercise the privilege; I see that especially in regard to audiobooks. I get it. Especially with longer ones, you might not have a lot of wiggle room to get it done if it’s not convenient to start it right away.
Good to know. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever decide to try the library again. Unfortunately that will likely involve another trip to the library to renew my card; since they seem to be a little too quick to auto-expire cards for lack of use in my opinion (but that's another story).

Quote:
Curious; you obviously don’t have to answer: Ohio has some of the biggest OverDrive libraries in the country. Is there any system of reciprocity where someone in the boonies (not saying you are) can access Cleveland, say?
Oh I definitely qualify as living in the boonies. But last I checked (which was admittedly quite a while ago) a membership at my local library entitled me to access two Ohio-based ebook consortiums. Neither of which were very impressive in terms of selection or interface. We were entitled to Hoopla, though. Which felt at least slightly worthwhile for a bit.

Quote:
Speaking personally, I’m in no hurry to read anything so long waitlists don’t bother me.
I'm in no real hurry either, to be honest. It's more that I'm a flibbertigibbet who will just as likely be wondering what it was about a particular book I jumped in line for that sounded even remotely interesting to me at the time. Yesterday Me is a horrible judge of what Today Me might like to read. Hence the pointlessness of TBR lists for me.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:10 PM   #10
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've read a fair number of library ebooks but right now I'm reading from my stockpile in the hopes of ending the year with fewer purchased but unread books then I started (perils of buying bundles/libraries of books).

Something I have found very useful in reducing my impulse buys has been to check my library when I see an interesting book on sale and add it to my library wish list if it's there. As my local library is quite large with a wide range of ebooks (currently there are 139k books available now covering 162 subjects) I often do find the book there. And unread books on a library wish list are less annoying then unread books that I've paid for.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I also definitely qualify as living in the boonies. 45 minutes to the grocery store. But our little library, which is in a cabin someone donated to the city, is part of the Boise consortium and so there are plenty of ebooks.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:28 AM   #12
RETG
RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Also in the boonies of Idaho, but the eastern side; within a stone's throw of WY.
I just never think about it anymore. Never have what I want to read when I went to the site, so I just don't go.
RETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:10 AM   #13
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
For me, it's because I'm a book hoarder who likes to re-read. I love the library--it was my safe/happy place as a child and I spent literally hours in there almost every day.

As an adult, however, I can afford to buy books now, and even before e-books were available I had mostly stopped using the library for myself. I would take my children at least once a week when they were younger, and they usually brought home a stack of books every time.

Now my daughter reads both on her Kindle/iPad and paper books, and my son mostly does audio books, with a sprinkling of paper thrown in. (he travels a lot for work, and listens to audio while he's driving and in hotel rooms). Neither of them use the library anymore either, as far as I know.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:15 AM   #14
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
For the first 5 or 6 years of me having ereaders there were no real options for library ebooks. OK so my local library were signed up to a system but their selection was tiny. Then they changed to a system that only works with phones or tablets.

During that time I built up an impressive TBR list. So whilst it bothered me a bit, I didn't care enough to go to great lengths over it. I did look at some libraries that did out-of-area subscriptions but they cost money, at which point I figured I wouldn't use the library enough to justify it.

At a certain point I became aware it was possible for me to join the neighbouring county's Overdrive system and I did that. However that's based on a kind of "jurisdictional overlap" was has caused issues. The library of which I'm a member is based in my town and has four physical branches. One of these, whilst still technically in my town is over the border in the next county. Through that there's a link and we qualify to join their Overdrive. However twice I've had my account randomly disabled. The first time it happened I got passed from pillar to post - Overdrive told me to contact the library, the library could see I was on their system but I didn't have a card (I did but for *my* library), they advised me to sign up - in frustration I tried but didn't qualify (I live in the next county). I had to make a special trip to the one branch where it overlaps and a nice lady somehow fixed it for me. She wasn't sure herself but I was checking on my phone to make sure it worked!

The second time it happened I shrugged and left it because it had been such a hassle and I wasn't reading as much in general. I randomly checked a couple of months later and it was working again. Just checked now, still is

Anyway, I do use the library but in the past it hasn't been a super smooth process so sometimes it's not my first thought.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
...I know there are people here on Mobileread who say they rarely or never read library books. ...
I haven't read many library books lately because there hasn't been anything that's really interested me (besides, I've got enough of my own books that haven't been read). I don't really look for the best sellers — if I find an author I like I read a bunch of their books (until I get tired of that author). But I wouldn't be able to tell you what's on the best seller list or what new releases were coming out because I'm usually not that interested. I've been reading a lot of non-fiction lately. Also, the Meridian eBook library in Idaho isn't nearly as extensive as the Fort Worth library in Texas was, so my choices are more limited.

But I do like the fact that I can download and read Overdrive books directly on my PocketBook or Tolino without having to use the desktop ADE (which isn't available for my Linux computers). (In the U.S. I can also use the Kindles or my Kobo Aura 2 — but I prefer plain ePubs so usually use the PocketBook, and sometimes the Tolino.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote