Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Brain
Member
Brain began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2017
Device: none
Complete noobie with a fresh device lost among all the info.

My Kobo Aura One have arrived today and I can't wait to start reading.

I've already decided that I want Koreader, to get better pdf reading experience and would like to know the steps I'm supposed to take next.

I'm a little reluctant to download any suggested original software or to set up a wifi, because, I assume, that would start automatic updates and I'm worried that might interfere with jailbreaking and getting Koreader.

Reading various instructions guides and koreader wiki haven't help too much, because they all seem to be directed at people who are already using Kobo in it's default state. Please direct me the right way. What do I do?
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Ken Maltby's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,014
Karma: 5819480
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Heart of Texas
Device: JetBook Lite (retired), AuraHD, PDA,
For the Kobo devices no jail breaking is required. In fact, KSM and KOReader (as well as a Coolreader port and some games & utilities) all work fine on the same Kobo device, right alongside the stock Kobo software.

It is best though to use a hidden folder to keep your books away from the Kobo processing. (A hidden folder is one that is named with a "." as the first character, like .Books or .Library) All the files & folders within a hidden folder are hidden as well whatever their names. If you use calibre to send your book to your device, you can use the "Save to folder" option and the hidden folder.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
Brain
Member
Brain began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2017
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
For the Kobo devices no jail breaking is required. In fact, KSM and KOReader (as well as a Coolreader port and some games & utilities) all work fine on the same Kobo device, right alongside the stock Kobo software.

It is best though to use a hidden folder to keep your books away from the Kobo processing. (A hidden folder is one that is named with a "." as the first character, like .Books or .Library) All the files & folders within a hidden folder are hidden as well whatever their names. If you use calibre to send your book to your device, you can use the "Save to folder" option and the hidden folder.

Luck;
Ken
Ok, thank you for informing me about that. Why is it best to "keep my books away from the Kobo processing"?

I will also be solely reading by uploading books from my pc to the Aura One device, if that's relevant.

Also should I make an account and allow the updates or should I immediately jump into those instructions https://github.com/koreader/koreader...es#newer-model ?
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Ken Maltby's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,014
Karma: 5819480
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Heart of Texas
Device: JetBook Lite (retired), AuraHD, PDA,
If you are only using KOReader for PDFs, then you might want to create a .PDFs folder. It is mostly a matter of the issue that processing a number of documents into the Kobo database can become a problem if there are a large number of them or if they are in formats that the stock readers don't handle or if they fail to meet Kobo's standards (Perhaps all those bought from the Kobo Store, will pass?) You could just let Kobo process them all if you wish, for some that seems to work out with few problems. Your mileage may vary.

Yes, those instructions should apply to your device.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-11-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Brain
Member
Brain began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2017
Device: none
Thank you. This might definitely be relevant, after I'm actually able to use the device.

Now I'm still wondering if I should create an account and let it update the firmware to the newest version? This is probably something very obvious to you, which is why you have ignored it? From reading koreader and the startup program installation instructions, i've got the idea, that it's dependant on the version of firmware I have on my device, this is why I'm afraid I will affect it negatively, by making an account and auto updating.
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 05:55 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Ken Maltby's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,014
Karma: 5819480
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Heart of Texas
Device: JetBook Lite (retired), AuraHD, PDA,
I am still running my AuraHD under v3.05 Firmware, and have had none of the problems that those who have updated to the v4.x Firmware have been reporting. But- that is not an option for your device as it was launched with v4.x Firmware, as I recall. One of the things that it allows me is an easy way to prevent a connection to the Kobo servers and a way to bypass the update. I don't know if or how it would be done with the new Firmware, Kobo seems to have been trying to tighten up the connection to their servers, in their recent firmware releases.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #7
Brain
Member
Brain began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2017
Device: none
I've registered my Kobo Aura One with Wifi. It updated to 4.1.7729 FW version and then I proceeded to install KSM8, Aura One Patch and Koreader successfully. Time to start experimenting and reading, thank you for your help Ken Maltby.
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #8
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,883
Karma: 1209241
Join Date: Jun 2012
Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
I've registered my Kobo Aura One with Wifi. It updated to 4.1.7729 FW version and then I proceeded to install KSM8, Aura One Patch and Koreader successfully. Time to start experimenting and reading, thank you for your help Ken Maltby.
4.1.7729 FW is somehow surprising. With the major affiliates the current FW is 4.5.9587. Would you mind sharing what affiliate you have?
If you do not know your affiliate, you can find it in
.kobo\affiliate.conf

In KSM you can read this file by selecting
tools > explore > explore kobo.msh > affiliate.conf
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
Brain
Member
Brain began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2017
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
4.1.7729 FW is somehow surprising. With the major affiliates the current FW is 4.5.9587. Would you mind sharing what affiliate you have?
If you do not know your affiliate, you can find it in
.kobo\affiliate.conf

In KSM you can read this file by selecting
tools > explore > explore kobo.msh > affiliate.conf
I wasn't able to find "affiliate.conf" option by going through either of those methods.

My hidden files are made visible and only .conf files I was able to find in the device, through a simple search were: device.salt.conf, Kobo eReader.conf, Analytics.conf.
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,883
Karma: 1209241
Join Date: Jun 2012
Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
I wasn't able to find "affiliate.conf" option by going through either of those methods.

My hidden files are made visible and only .conf files I was able to find in the device, through a simple search were: device.salt.conf, Kobo eReader.conf, Analytics.conf.
I thought this file is created when you register the device. Anyway, this is an example of the contents of this file
Code:
[General]
affiliate=Kobo
It depends on the affiliate which FW you get at which time (if at all). Some say that the regional location plays also a role in this. But I was unable to verify this. This is why I am interested in the cause for you getting 4.1.7729.

Last edited by tshering; 08-13-2017 at 10:53 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
Brain
Member
Brain began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2017
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I thought this file is created when you register the device. Anyway, this is an example of the contents of this file
Code:
[General]
affiliate=Kobo
It depends on the affiliate which FW you get at which time (if at all). Some say that the regional location plays also a role in this. But I was unable to verify this. This is why I am interested in the cause for you getting 4.1.7729.
If it helps, I've bought a model, which was used by German electronics seller "Mediamarkt" as a stand in model for demonstration. I did it through ebay.

Should I seek to patch it up manually?
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,883
Karma: 1209241
Join Date: Jun 2012
Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
If it helps, I've bought a model, which was used by German electronics seller "Mediamarkt" as a stand in model for demonstration. I did it through ebay.

Should I seek to patch it up manually?
This depends on you. In the Kobo Firmware Releases wiki you can find the links to the firmware files, and also links to the discussion threads where people post there views on advantages and disadvantages of the respective firmware versions. If you only use Koreader and/or Coolreader, those firmware changes do not affect you really.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #13
Brain
Member
Brain began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 12
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2017
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
This depends on you. In the Kobo Firmware Releases wiki you can find the links to the firmware files, and also links to the discussion threads where people post there views on advantages and disadvantages of the respective firmware versions. If you only use Koreader and/or Coolreader, those firmware changes do not affect you really.
Ok, thank you for the useful link. Obviously there's more hours to be spend researching. So far I've used koreader for it's beautiful reflow function on one old ass pdf and used default for reading epub's, to be able to use the orange tint, which doesn't seem to be available for koreader yet.
Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #14
Question Mark
Addict
Question Mark has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Question Mark has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Question Mark has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Question Mark has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Question Mark has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Question Mark has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Question Mark has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Question Mark has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Question Mark has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Question Mark has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Question Mark has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'
 
Question Mark's Avatar
 
Posts: 282
Karma: 127660
Join Date: Mar 2016
Device: kobo aura, KA1, Onyx Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post
So far I've used koreader for it's beautiful reflow function on one old ass pdf and used default for reading epub's, to be able to use the orange tint, which doesn't seem to be available for koreader yet.
It is possible to get the orange tinted light in koreader, albeit not directly. Start the nickel FW and turn on the light, then exit out of nickel and open up koreader. You should have the orange light.

However, if you power off your device or leave it in sleep mode for some time, it may revert back to the regular lighting in which case you just have to follow the initial steps of going into nickel and then switching to koreader. A bit of a nuisance, but it does seem to work.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting to device searches complete computer Bompa65 Devices 1 04-10-2015 06:37 PM
Lost Info In Conversions Carlj Conversion 2 05-05-2011 04:53 AM
Detecting complete sync of books from device meme Development 19 04-19-2011 03:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.