Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #31
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
You are not trying to use the win64 version (I'm using this with windows 7 no problem)?
I use WinXP 32-Bit and Vista 32-Bit. There are no problems when using Vista.

Although the results are not usable for me as the PDF is a mix of 2-column, 3-column pages and some maps/images. I tried the autodetect column option but the result was the same.

Nevermind.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #32
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Sorry. I'd really need to see the file to track down whatever is happening in XP. I understand if you can't post it, though.
No problem.
I've found some free D&D modules which are working using WinXP 32Bit. Unfortunately the result isn't usable due to the format of the PDF's.

Try the PDF on this site.
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #33
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
No problem.
I've found some free D&D modules which are working using WinXP 32Bit. Unfortunately the result isn't usable due to the format of the PDF's.

Try the PDF on this site.
I've compiled a version of v1.31 for more generic CPUs and in the process I found a function called only by the mupdf lib that was crashing on a Pentium III PC that I tested. This version now runs correctly on that test PC. Try it and let me know if it solves your problem (see Note 1 under the downloads on the k2pdfopt page).

BTW, the new version will read DJVU files also.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:59 AM   #34
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Thanks a lot for this awesome work.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 AM   #35
SkyDream
Wizard

Quote:
I've compiled a version of v1.31 for more generic CPUs and in the process I found a function called only by the mupdf lib that was crashing on a Pentium III PC that I tested. This version now runs correctly on that test PC. Try it and let me know if it solves your problem (see Note 1 under the downloads on the k2pdfopt page).

Thanks for your engagement.

Unfortunately the ouput file is now empty. It always reported "...0 new pages saved ..." for all pages of the file.

BTW. I'm running WinXP 32Bit on QuadCore 2.4 GHz.
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #36
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your engagement.

Unfortunately the ouput file is now empty. It always reported "...0 new pages saved ..." for all pages of the file.

BTW. I'm running WinXP 32Bit on QuadCore 2.4 GHz.
Odd. Is this the same PDF file that you posted the link to (with three columns)? I tried that on my own PC (Windows 7/Core-i5/64-bit) and it worked fine. I will try it under XP when I get a chance. Just a thought--do you have write permission in the folder where k2pdfopt is trying to write the file? Do you have enough space on your HDD?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #37
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
I use WinXP 32-Bit and Vista 32-Bit. There are no problems when using Vista.

Although the results are not usable for me as the PDF is a mix of 2-column, 3-column pages and some maps/images. I tried the autodetect column option but the result was the same.

Nevermind.
Be sure to set the max columns to 4. Either command-line option "-col 4" or menu item "co" and set to 4. I tried your linked file with that option and it worked pretty well, though I only looked at a couple of pages.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #38
SkyDream
Wizard

Tried the linked file under XP and opened the result with Foxit (PDF Reader).
All pages are empty although during conversion some new pages are reported.

setting column detect
setting column max 4

7 GB free space on c:\temp (output directory).

Haven't tried the new version under Vista yet.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #39
wangminh12
wangminh12 plays well with otherswangminh12 plays well with otherswangminh12 plays well with otherswangminh12 plays well with otherswangminh12 plays well with otherswangminh12 plays well with otherswangminh12 plays well with otherswangminh12 plays well with otherswangminh12 plays well with otherswangminh12 plays well with otherswangminh12 plays well with others

Device: kindle 3G
Quote:

thank u ! your software makes my kindle worthy.
wangminh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:36 AM   #40
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Hi to all,

I have been using K2pdfopt with great results on Mac. However, I keep getting an instant crash with the following error:

fatal error: out of memory (integer overflow)
Abort trap: 6

when I try to convert the linked PDF below (these are legal and non-copyrighted, but the link expires in about 6 days from now), with the settings right to left scanning and output set at 240 dpi. Is there any way to increase the memory to allow for the output to go beyond the 167 dpi default? Many thanks

http://pds.lib.harvard.edu/pds/temp/...6962-1-246.pdf
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:12 AM   #41
comandovil
comandovil began at the beginning.

Device: papyre 6.1
I have a windows xp sp3 and I can not see files with Foxit Reader.

With ereader Papyre 6.1 if either view certain files.

Djvu files work well.

Is there any solution?
comandovil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #42
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2011 View Post
Hi to all,

I have been using K2pdfopt with great results on Mac. However, I keep getting an instant crash with the following error:

fatal error: out of memory (integer overflow)
Abort trap: 6

when I try to convert the linked PDF below (these are legal and non-copyrighted, but the link expires in about 6 days from now), with the settings right to left scanning and output set at 240 dpi. Is there any way to increase the memory to allow for the output to go beyond the 167 dpi default? Many thanks

http://pds.lib.harvard.edu/pds/temp/...6962-1-246.pdf
That PDF seems to have the page size set wrong--it claims to be 69 x 91 inches, so using an output dpi of 250 causes the input dpi to be 500, which means the source bitmap size is 34500 x 45500 and consumes 1.5 GB(!) of memory. That's why it's crashing. You need to use a much smaller odpi, like say 30. Maybe I'll put in some safeguards for this in a future version. On this doc you probably also want to use the -r option to go right to left. See output (red text) below for your tip-off:

k2pdfopt v1.31 http://willus.com, (compiled 09:48:38, Oct 17 2011)

Reading 246 pages from test.pdf ...

SOURCE PAGE 1 of 246 (68.7 x 91.1 in) ... 1 new pages saved.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #43
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Many thanks Willus, your suggestion is much appreciated, as it the wonderful program you have given us!
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #44
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

k2pdfopt v1.32 now available

I just posted a bug-fix release (v1.32). There seems to be an issue with people who run k2pdfopt in locales where the decimal marker is a comma rather than a period (e.g. most European and Latin-American countries). It results in output PDF files that are often unreadable. I think this was introduced in v1.31 with the DJVU library, but I'm not sure. Hopefully it is fixed now.

http://willus.com/k2pdfopt/

Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. Thanks to SkyDream for helping me figure this one out.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #45
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Latest thread

FYI, I've been posting mostly in this thread (#144546) lately (including update announcements)...

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools