Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #106
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
@user_none: Any luck on fixing the Amazon search? Running 0.8.8, and doing a search on author:"Walter Mosley" shows 5 books. But doing the same search on Amazon for Walter Mosley in the Kindle store returns a LOT more.
Hm... I'm getting 10 results for author:"Walter Mosley" and Walter Mosley. In the search settings what do you have the max number of search results set to?
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #107
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Max number set to 10. (took me a while to find where that setting is, by the way)

Still only returning 5 results on the Author: version. A sixth about him but not by him for an unrestricted Walter Mosley search.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #108
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Max number set to 10. (took me a while to find where that setting is, by the way)

Still only returning 5 results on the Author: version. A sixth about him but not by him for an unrestricted Walter Mosley search.
Can you take a screen shot of the search window with the results your getting? I believe you that you're only getting 5 results I just don't know why or where they're coming from.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #109
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Can you take a screen shot of the search window with the results your getting? I believe you that you're only getting 5 results I just don't know why or where they're coming from.
Sure. Attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre_01.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	73817  
Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #110
user_none

@CRussel, I'm stumped. I can't even get amazon to give me a page with all of those results on it.

Can someone else try running that search and let me know if they're seeing the same results?
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #111
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool 10

Quote:
@CRussel, I'm stumped. I can't even get amazon to give me a page with all of those results on it.

Can someone else try running that search and let me know if they're seeing the same results?
10 hits from us amazon.com.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #112
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@user_none: Any luck on fixing the Amazon search? Running 0.8.8, and doing a search on author:"Walter Mosley" shows 5 books. But doing the same search on Amazon for Walter Mosley in the Kindle store returns a LOT more.
Could it be a Geo restriction thing? (Aren't the Restrictions usually NA rights and not US only?)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:51 AM   #113
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
5 responses for me in Canada.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #114
CRussel
(he/him/his)

HA! What must be happening is that when I run the search from inside Calibre, it is detecting my current IP address and giving me the georestricted result. But when I connect to Amazon, I get the USA result, since my account is registered in the US (for just this reason!) The US result is the correct result, btw. When I try to buy Canadian items for my Kindle, I get politely told that these are not available to me, since I have a US registered Kindle.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #115
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool success

Quote:
HA! What must be happening is that when I run the search from inside Calibre, it is detecting my current IP address and giving me the georestricted result. But when I connect to Amazon, I get the USA result, since my account is registered in the US (for just this reason!) The US result is the correct result, btw. When I try to buy Canadian items for my Kindle, I get politely told that these are not available to me, since I have a US registered Kindle.
ah, sweet success
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #116
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
It will be as of 0.8.8. Get books is search based so I had to wait for Kovid to implement search in Open Books.
Am I missing something? Or has the implementation of the calibre-shop been postponed?

(running 0.8.9)
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #117
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by drMerry View Post
Am I missing something? Or has the implementation of the calibre-shop been postponed?

(running 0.8.9)
Get books is the calibre meta-store shop thingy. It's there, if you don't see it you might have to add it to the tool bar.

the calibre-shop where you can find DRM Free books is called Open Books in Get Books. It's not a shop per say, it's a listing of DRM free books from a variety of sources. User submitted. It's the same as what's at http://drmfree.calibre-ebook.com/ .
Old 07-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #118
CRussel
(he/him/his)

@user_none: Is there a way to force the Amazon.com search to the US store? If not, could you please add some way? As it currently works, I'm unable to use the Get Books feature, since it doesn't return the correct Amazon results. (I'm a US Kindle, but most often sitting on a Canadian IP address.)

I ask this solely so I can make sure some $$ comes your way. Obviously, I know how to search Amazon on my own, but that doesn't do anyone any good.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #119
Z_reader_H
Member Retired
Z_reader_H began at the beginning.

Device: none
Libraries and book-stores list

Here is a list of on-line libraries and book-stores offering e-books I would like to see in Calibre :

in french :

http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/index.php (free,OPDS)
http://beq.ebooksgratuits.com/ (free)
http://classiques.uqac.ca/classiques/ (free)
http://www.epagine.fr/ (book store with some free e-books)
http://www.thebookedition.com/index.php
http://www.inlibroveritas.net/
http://www.ilv-edition.com/
http://www.alexandrie.org/
http://ebook-editions.net/
http://www.publie.net/

in english (mostly):

http://www.free-ebooks.net/ (free)
http://www.munseys.com/
http://arxiv.org/ (free, specialized, sciences)
http://www.wattpad.com/
http://www.freetechbooks.com/ (free,specialized,I.T.)
http://www.onlinecomputerbooks.com/ (free,sciences,I.T.)
http://ebookstore.sony.com/
Z_reader_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #120
user_none

@CRussel, There is no way to force Amazon to search only the US store. The plugin search amazon.com. If Amazon wants to use Geo IP and send different search results then there isn't anything I can do about it. If someone knows a way to have Amazon only return US results (I'm told that this is the case if you search a country specific tld) then I can make this happen. Otherwise the only way to do so would be to log you into Amazon before performing the search. This would not be easy to do.

@Z_reader_H, Sony is a no go unfortunately. They require you to use their desktop software to make the purchase. One reason I won't include Sony is their software is Windows only (calibre runs on multiple OS's) so this store won't be useful to many users.

Tags
calibre, plugin, store, theanarchistlibrary