Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
LoveBunny
LoveBunny began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Red face Can I sell my K3 with my ill gotten books?

Hi everyone!

I have a K3 that I would like to sell. I have a bunch of new release books on it that I have 'acquired' through other sources. I think it would up the value a bit if I don't remove them. This K3 has some buttons starting to fade so I contacted Amazon and they sent me a new one with updated ink on the keys so it shouldn't happen again. So I have till November 25th to send this one back and not get charged, or I can attempt to sell it for a small profit with books included.

After unregistering the K3 on Amazon can I sell it with the books included on it and not get in trouble? Any help would be great. Thanks!
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:55 AM   #2
Zerodime
Enthusiast
Zerodime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
You will most definitly get in trouble.
Zerodime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 04:06 AM   #3
LoveBunny
LoveBunny began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I figured. Haha. After thinking about it some more, I realize that was a stupid question. But it would be nice. What a shame.

Thanks for your response!
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
lets be serious now, anyone could go to a popular torrent site with say, the picture of a pirate ship, and download gigabytes worth of books in a few minutes. Trying to sell this to make money...... well lots of sites DO do this.

I could point you to dozens of them that let you "read for free" on line. They have these little crappy HTML "Reader" containers that show page numbers (just EPUB wrappers) and let you forward/back pages 1 at a time. If you try to download the book, they ask for a few dollars via paypal.

This type stuff goes on ALL of the time. A lot of these sites are run from Russia, some from China, and other European countries...
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Generally speaking, trying sell pirated items is pretty much the only way to land in jail from piracy.

Though realistically, it's generally only the most blatant cases that get caught...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
wscott
wscott is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
You mainly just asked the wrong question. Not "Can I?", but "Should I?".
The answer is no you shouldn't.
wscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
Esquire1
Banned
Esquire1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 wifi; PRS-500 (gone); iPad NOT for reading e-books ;)
This thread slaps the face of the many authors on this forum. No one can stop you from stealing (read: not 'acquiring') but you don't have to flaunt it around.

On second thought, where and how are you selling the Kindle? Sell it to me. I want to buy it from you. I won't get you in trouble, trust me

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 11-04-2010 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Profanity removed
Esquire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Why not just return it to Amazon and get a refund? They'll barely ask for any reason at all; just say you tried it and it wasn't for you.

I don't think you're going to turn a profit by selling it as second-hand with illegal material on it.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I don't think having pirated material on it would matter one way or the other. I also don;t think that using it as a selling factor would help
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am baffelled by people who ask questions like this. So you are asking if you will get in trouble for selling a device with a "bunch" of stolen goods on them? Really? You think it might be problematic to sell stolen goods?

Just wow
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
WHY WOULD YOU WANNA SELL IT, WHEN YOU CAN RETURN IT FOR A FULL REFUND?

On topic, pirating stuff is one thing, but selling it is another. I mean, every single book available on Amazon is available on a torrent site. Many people just buy Kindle and use those books. Are they committing a crime? Yes. To what degree? Negligible as compared to other crimes, but criminal it is. Moral or Immoral? Immoral.

Now, Selling or even spreading this material around for free is a punishable offense and highly immoral. I mean, some people might understand that you dont have enough money to buy your books, so you download 'em illegally. But, spreading it around?!! Even selling it...?? Please dont.

To answer your question, I dont think you will get into trouble by doing this, but I would say, please dont do it.

Its like the difference between using and selling drugs.......
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Unless a book is offered for free by the author or publisher, downloading a book from an unauthorized site is illegal. It is the same thing as walking into a bookstore and walking out of the bookstore without paying for the hardback you stuck in your backpack. It might feel different since you are not physically walking into a store, looking around to see if anyone is watching, putting the book in your back pack, and walking out hoping not to get caught but that is only because you are sitting at home clicking a few buttons.

Shoplifting a book and downloading a pirated copy both mean that the store, the publisher, and the author do not get paid. Both are theft. This is not negligible. It might be a misdomeaner, depending on how much the book costs and how many you steal, but it is still theft.

Selling stolen material is simply a second crime that you are committing.

There is nothing legal or moral about either action.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Selling stolen material is simply a second crime that you are committing.
And worse.
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Unless a book is offered for free by the author or publisher, downloading a book from an unauthorized site is illegal.
That's actually not as clear-cut as you make it out to be. It will depend on your jurisdiction and a few other factors. But lets put it this way: re-selling such downloaded material is illegal, and rightly so.

Quote:
It is the same thing as walking into a bookstore and walking out of the bookstore without paying for the hardback you stuck in your backpack.
Again, not quite. In your example you actually steal a tangible object (the owner no longer has it), in the first example you download a file (violating copyright, perhaps, but the owner still has it.)

Quote:
Both are theft.
I have to disagree. One is theft, the other (possibly/probably) a copyright violation. Equally objectionable, it might be argued, but not the same thing at all.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I'd delete them if I were you. Reasons why: you won't get any greater value since everyone can get those works the same way you got them, and you'll be profitting from somebody else's work. The second part is most condemnable IMO.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote