Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #31
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i've had it happen a couple of times and i've figured out ( on my kobo at least ) when it occurs for me and the fix.

if i power down while in a book the kobo at some point will turn itself back on and go into sleep.

if i go to the home page then power down the kobo stays powered down.

easy enough.

it's only happened a couple of times so i'm not too worried. the device has been fantastic and this is the only thing i have encountered since launch day.

Last edited by siraks; 07-20-2011 at 08:43 AM.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #32
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
i've had it happen a couple of times and i've figured out ( on my kobo at least ) when it occurs for me and the fix.

if i power down while in a book the kobo at some point will turn itself back on and go into sleep.

if i go to the home page then power down the kobo stays powered down.
I *always* go to the home page before manually powering down, so it's not that, at least for me.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #33
Motto
Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Motto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
I *always* go to the home page before manually powering down, so it's not that, at least for me.
I do the same. For me, it seems the only solution is to set both sleep and power off to "never". With those settings, the Kobo stays off, regardless of whether I power down from in book or the menu.

Last edited by Motto; 07-20-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Motto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #34
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Add me to the list of people for whom it's randomly turning itself on for. Seems to happen every other day (latest being this morning) for me, however.

I guess until they fix it the only option will be to try and remember to change the power down setting from Never to the lowest before turning it off for the night (and then try to remember to turn it back on) since having the power off during the day is not conducive to reading at random intervals...
The trigger for the Touch to turn itself on is that it must have been preceded with 1) a manual power off 2) while in reading mode. Both of these two conditions must exist for the problem to occur and in my experience they are the only conditions. i.e. the auto-power off setting is not relevant in eliciting this behavior. The simplest remedy for this problem is to avoid a manual power-off and to set the auto-power off setting to any value other than 'Never' so that the reader powers itself off.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #35
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
The trigger for the Touch to turn itself on is that it must have been preceded with 1) a manual power off 2) while in reading mode. Both of these two conditions must exist for the problem to occur and in my experience they are the only conditions.
As I said in my last post, I *never* manually power off in reading mode, always going to the home page first. I also go to the home page before manually setting it to sleep mode, except for when I just need to wipe the screen to get rid of debris.
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #36
ics1974
ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, Iphone 4
Ever since I set both setting to Never the problem has not happened. This is the workaround I will continue to use until the problem is resolved.

Any Kobo dev's reading this thread? Are you aware of the problem and working on a fix?
ics1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #37
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
My Kobo Touch has been turning on lately. I would power it off when i go to bed but when i got to work it was on sleep mode. It can't even be because the button got accidentally pressed since its a slider button

Last edited by wes101; 07-20-2011 at 02:52 PM.
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #38
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Happened to me as well. Turned it off (within a book). Set it down. Picked it up later and it was in sleep mode.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #39
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The developers are reading this thread.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #40
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

And again it turned itself on overnight after being powered down. This time, though, it stayed on though I tried turning off the auto-sleep & -power settings. Very annoying.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 07-21-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #41
NineOne
NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NineOne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
This has happened to me 5 times since I upgraded to the latest firmware. Before that it happened twice in all the time I've had the Kobo. What happened?

To the developers: I *never* go to the home screen before I turn it off, and I don't plan to start. Much like the "you're holding it wrong" iPhone 4 problem, users changing their behaviour is not a fix for poor design.
NineOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #42
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
So 15 and 15 doesn't work either; I though it did at first, but mine turned on by itself this morning when set like that. Have switched to never and never.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #43
ics1974
ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ics1974 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, Iphone 4
Still not seeing the issue with never and nerver set

Last edited by ics1974; 07-21-2011 at 03:35 PM.
ics1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #44
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I've never seen this happen, and I have powered off from within a book quite a few times. FWIW, my settings are sleep in 15 min, power off in 60 min.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #45
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
I've never seen this happen, and I have powered off from within a book quite a few times. FWIW, my settings are sleep in 15 min, power off in 60 min.
Probably why you don't notice it - it's powering back off before you look at it for the first time after sleeping or whenever.