Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Your heaven on Earth place...

I decided to open a lounge entry having to do with travel...

Everybody (most everybody) has a place they've been that they consider a piece of heaven on earth. If you would, please describe the where/when of the place and why it so appealed to you. I'll start...

This place is just a spot on the road. No tourist signs, no guide book mention, no development. Just a spot on a road. It's on the island of Hawaii, on State Highway 250, going from hamlet of Hawi to the town of Waimea. The road is lined on both sides with Redwoods (Sequoia) planted by the C.C.C. in the 1930's. About a third of the way up the mountain (on the right) there is a gap in the tree for a ranching fence. I stop there on the side of the road and get out (usually around noon). The temp is between 23 and 25 C, there is always a light breeze; you are surrounded by the fragrance of redwoods; and you see a emerald green meadow with a few cattle in the mid-ground and the deep blue Pacific in the distance. I breathe deep and all my problems go away for a while. I've been there 4 times since 1999. Always the same....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Stanart
Addict
Stanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the rough

Device: Handspring Visor, Sony PRS-500 Reader
Well, you picked the right place for heaven on earth. Many places on the Big Island qualify for that. When I saw the subject of the thread the first place I thought of was the island of Hawaii.

But to a large degree this subject is really more a state of mind. Almost anywhere can be heaven on earth if one is in the right frame of mind. So some of my heavens on earth:

Sitting on a sofa in a funky basement apartment on the first date with my wife.

Sitting on the bank of the Missouri River in Vermillion, SD on a warm summer day with a good friend and a six pack of beer.

Walking down Grant Avenue in Chinatown in San Francisco on a foggy night when out of nowhere came the sound of someone playing the blues on a saxophone.
Stanart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
Koh Tao, Thailand. You sleep in a small really cheap beach hut, no furniture except a bed, a toilet and a shower. The occasional cockroach doesn't spoil the fun. In the morning you get out of bed, walk the short distance to the beach where you have pancakes for breakfast with your significant other & friends. Then you head out, along the beach, to the boat that will take you and a dozen other dive fanatics around the island. The diving is good although not excellent but the 'ambiance' is incredible. Between dives you relax on the sundeck, fresh pineapple is cut. If it gets too hot you jump off the sundeck into the sea 4 metres below where you float in your wetsuit (do not pee in your wetsuit, thank you, you don't get the smell out THAT easy).
In the evening you hang around the open-air bar, relaxing even more with interesting people from around the world.
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
My place of heaven on earth...

Wherever I am ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
I used to have a place near my home, between a hill and the edge of a wood. Staying there at dawn you could see deer, board, rabbits, etc
During the day bird of prey circled in the sky.
Now some houses have been build there. The hillside is parted into gardens. The dear and birds have moved.

Then, during several holidays, there was a bay. Hard to reach - but a dream come true. I used to love that bay - now a road reaches there and you cant recognize it. Several shops have opened there, the peace has disappeared.

I'm still searching for a new place, though the hammock in my sleeping room is starting to become one
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
There's a place I like near home. On the map, if it's labeled, it's called "The Never Seen Falls". It's near enough to get to easily, yet I can go ther and be alone, except for city sounds - cars, sirens, dogs, etc. But they are totally out of sight. It should probably be called the seldom seen falls because some others know about it. It is actually a double fall & my spot is between the upper and lower fall. The rocks make a nice seat & table for lunch when hiking. It's my special hide-away. I told my daughter that when I die, I want to be cremated and my ashes mixed with the sand at the base of the falls. Each time it rains, the water will distribute me along the creek, & then a full stream, to a river and eventually the ocean. No one will ever know where I am.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
For me, it's any place where I can find a big rock -- maybe 3 or 4 feet across -- to sit on and listen to the stream/lake bubble by me.

For longer periods of time, I listen to the water bubbling while I'm reading a book. Sunlight helps too.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I Am A Globe

I'm a globe. I love everywhere I've been, and expect to love a lot more of the world before they crate me. And I'm really loving reading the responses to this thread. You make me want to go there.

I Am A Globe. Maybe I'll call my travel guide that, whenever I get around to writing it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There is a steep hill in the Baltimore area that I would visit in my teens. I loved to sit there with a great view of tree tops and now and then a church steeple poking through. The best time for me was when a storm was rolling in, the clouds churning, lightening strikes in the distance, and the air filled with electricity -- it makes me feel very much alive. Thankfully, I've found hills like that one almost everywhere I've been.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Shojiji/Hana no Tera (Cherry Blossom Temple) in the southwest corner of Kyoto, Japan in early April. Small peaceful temples a bit out of the way. Families having picnics around individual cherry trees. Cherry blossom snow when the wind blows. It's been 4 years since I've been there, but it still plumbs my soul.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:08 AM   #11
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
both my heavens on earth also involve a time. one is a club i used to go to as a teenage runaway. it was pure bliss to be there every night, and they've been gone since 1975. the other is either side of the marina that disects marina del rey and playa del rey, but not in the middle of summer because of the crowds. the rest of the time, it's a wonderful place to be indeed
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:37 AM   #12
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Everywhere!
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #13
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
When this thread appeared yesterday, I didn't have time to respond. If I had, my response would have been a place I've only been one time. I'm glad I didn't have time yesterday.

I realized that my personal piece of heaven is a place I've known all my life although it's not always in the same place. As a child, I loved my Grandma's front porch swing and spent hours in it with her. When I moved into my first house, my Dad built a swing for me. My tiny front porch was just big enough for it as long as I didn't swing back too far. It was my favorite place on early summer mornings when I could watch the neighborhood come alive with a glass of juice in my hand. In the evenings, I swayed back and forth, creating a personal breeze to keep the gnats and mosquitos at bay. Piled with pillows, the front porch swing was the perfect place to spend a lazy afternoon with a book or music, occasionally putting down a foot to start the swing moving again.

I had to leave my swing behind when I moved a couple of years ago. It has taken up temporary residence on my Mom's front porch. I'm currently searching for a new house and one of the requirements is a front porch large enough for my swing.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Lots of particular places and times. But for a place I could visit any time and be at peace, it would have to be in the Rockies - just about any place will do nicely so long as there are mountains, trees, water, sky, birds, etc. (and not too many people).
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Hiking on the Jungfrau glacier in Switzerland. So quiet, with the mountains rising up and the most beautiful green valley below.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment