Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2018, 04:21 PM   #316
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
In the US the integrated Overdrive wouldn't separate them from Kindle, but it would put them on even footing. Kindles can check out books from the library and Amazon loads the book on the device.
I didn't know that, I'll have to check it out. So you send it from the OverDrive app? You can't borrow right from the device like the KA1? If the borrow-from-device was activated on all Kobo devices, that would be a slight difference. It is a little easier than having to go through the OverDrive app.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:50 PM   #317
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I didn't know that, I'll have to check it out. So you send it from the OverDrive app? You can't borrow right from the device like the KA1? If the borrow-from-device was activated on all Kobo devices, that would be a slight difference. It is a little easier than having to go through the OverDrive app.
I don't use Overdrive, an Aura One or Kindle, so I can't say how the mechanics work. I only know that you can use a Kindle to check books out from the library and Amazon fulfills the order, placing the book on your device. The Aura one does that as well, with Kobo fulfilling the order.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #318
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I don't use Overdrive, an Aura One or Kindle, so I can't say how the mechanics work. I only know that you can use a Kindle to check books out from the library and Amazon fulfills the order, placing the book on your device. The Aura one does that as well, with Kobo fulfilling the order.
With Overdrive and a Kindle, you borrow from your library, choose the Kindle format where you're sent (via link) to Amazon's site and you choose which Kindle to download your eBook to (providing that you have more than one device, I suppose). If I understand correctly, you don't nee a computer with an Aura One, you borrow from the device and download to it from your Kobo Market – something like the Sony T1 series (now you have to use the Browser).

Just discovered ... I can borrow Overdrive books using only my Kindle device by logging into the library via its browser. That's a nice surprise.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-29-2018 at 08:12 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #319
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Kobo needs to improve their customer service. They already have a bad rep for what they provided 3 years ago. It's improved now, but I was burned already and would be reluctant to try again and that was on the BOOK purchasing, not the reader unit! All they will do is play catchup because they didn't take their market seriously 5 years ago when they had the chance.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:50 PM   #320
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Just discovered ... I can borrow Overdrive books using only my Kindle device by logging into the library via its browser. That's a nice surprise.
Did it take you to the Amazon page in the browser or download the book automatically from the OD page when you select Kindle?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #321
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Did it take you to the Amazon page in the browser or download the book automatically from the OD page when you select Kindle?
It took me to the Amazon's download page (just as if I was doing it from my desktop computer). From there I chose which device to download to and clicked "Get Book" or whatever the button says. With my Sony T2 (using ePubs) Overdrive downloads directly to my device.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:14 PM   #322
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It took me to the Amazon's download page (just as if I was doing it from my desktop computer). From there I chose which device to download to and clicked "Get Book" or whatever the button says. With my Sony T2 (using ePubs) Overdrive downloads directly to my device.
Thank you. So it is easier to just do it on a computer unless there is none easily reachable. (In case of Kindle).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #323
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Thank you. So it is easier to just do it on a computer unless there is none easily reachable. (In case of Kindle).
I actually thought it was easier than that on the Kindle. (The Kindle owners I know don't use the library, so I've not had first hand experience.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:37 AM   #324
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Yes, definitely easier if you're at home (or have a laptop fired up) to use the computer. eInk makes for a terrible (and slow) web browser. It was just more "can I do it?" than anything else.

Now, with the Sony T2 it's also a pain to walk through the eInk web browser – but when I've only got a Linux computer available, it's the only way I can borrow books from Overdrive on the Sony. I can also download eBooks from Feedbooks directly to the Sony T2.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:41 AM   #325
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I actually thought it was easier than that on the Kindle. (The Kindle owners I know don't use the library, so I've not had first hand experience.)
It's just a matter of "borrowing to Kindle" and clicking "download to device" when that link automatically takes you to Amazon. It takes about 5-10 seconds to borrow from the library on a Kindle, but you do need a computer (or you need to work with the slow (and clumsy) eInk web browser on the device).
Old 01-30-2018, 02:32 AM   #326
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Now 35 days since I ordered my Kobo Aura One Limited Edition 32 GB and per a email received today I should have the replacement for the defective one Kobo first shipped in about another 10 days. This means it will be about 45 days from ordering to my receipt of a working unit, if the new one is ok. So to me the big improvement Kobo needs to make is their customer service for replacement of defective units for USA customers. Why could they not have shipped the replacement as soon as they had verification that UPS had received the returned unit? I have had Amazon ship replacement items as soon as I have shipped return defective items.

This experience has been such that I will NEVER buy another Kobo reader until I can do so locally from a Kobo retailer.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:53 AM   #327
MJV
Nyxing BookReader
MJV began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Aura One, iPad 3,
That is a pain indeed. One of the reasons why I dropped Kindle a few years ago was also related with a not-stellar customer service + not living in a country that has an Amazon store. I was so disgusted with the experience that I dropped e-Readers for several years and settled on a iPad. I finally came back recently after feeling that my eyes were a bit tired from the (huge amount of) MacBook+iPad reading. I bought a KA1 because we have FNAC here and I could see it and have a personalised costumer service.

Given what you say, I'd email Kobo services and make an official complaint. Maybe you already did it... maybe that will not change anything in the short run... but, still, if many do it, perhaps their services will become better.

Hope your new KA1 will be great (as compensation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Now 35 days since I ordered my Kobo Aura One Limited Edition 32 GB and per a email received today I should have the replacement for the defective one Kobo first shipped in about another 10 days. This means it will be about 45 days from ordering to my receipt of a working unit, if the new one is ok. So to me the big improvement Kobo needs to make is their customer service for replacement of defective units for USA customers. Why could they not have shipped the replacement as soon as they had verification that UPS had received the returned unit? I have had Amazon ship replacement items as soon as I have shipped return defective items.

This experience has been such that I will NEVER buy another Kobo reader until I can do so locally from a Kobo retailer.
MJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #328
Karaaslan
Karaaslan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Basically that there is no kindle or amazon service in my country. Beyond that I've not found such feature to choose Kobo over Kindle-for now- but only the ease on customizing.

Last edited by Karaaslan; 02-02-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Karaaslan is offline   Reply With Quote