Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
I believe most buy Kindles because of the amazon eco system and they don't really consider anything else.
Some people, sure. I don't know about most people. That's certainly not why I buy Kindles. I buy Kobos and Kindles, but I have no allegiance to either company. If Kobo did the following things, I would be tempted to stop buying / using Kindle devices...

- Improved PDF experience. Reading PDF on my H20 or Aura One is too frustrating to even bother. With Koreader it is as good as using a Kindle, but the Koreader interface is poor compared to Nickel (Kobo's native firmware), not to mention the inconvenience of running two operating systems. The PDF-reading experience alone justifies owning a Kindle as well as a Kobo, for me. I really enjoy some books that aren't available in any other format, and on my Kindle I can read them no problem - so no need to use a tablet, which sacrifices the benefits e-ink has over screens, such as battery life and reduced eye strain.

- Faster page turns, highlighting, and general navigation. I find Kindles more responsive than Kobo devices in most respects.

- Page turn buttons.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #17
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I tried kobo, but I was having to pinhole reset the device at least three times a week.(not exaggerating) The device would freeze up while I was reading.

I purchased a pw2 and never had that problem. I have used my voyage for over a year now with no issues at all. Installed koreader and have all of the fonts and features that I need. I do find that my kobo books were cheaper, because of the great coupon codes, but it's not a big deal.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
What I'd most like to see is a "Send to Kobo" function.
Yes this! Being able to send a book via WiFi would really be great. As of now I have to use their clunky browser to download a book from Dropbox.

They also need more e-readers at 300ppi. Discontinuing the Glo HD and replacing it with a subpar reader was a mistake.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #19
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I dont think that, with the latest firmware, there is any significant performance difference between Kobo and Kindle. It's fair to say though that up till a couple of months ago that wasnt the case.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:08 AM   #20
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura One
If you read "reviews", almost every single one makes a mention about how much better Amazon's store is than Kobo's. As a side-loader, I couldn't care less about that. They also mention, as a con, that Kobo doesn't have a micro sd slot, while never mentioning that Amazon doesn't either. If you google "kobo aura one review", you see places like CNET giving it 3.5 stars because, despite the long list of pros, they say it's too big. I can't help but think Amazon is lining the pockets of most "review" sites.

If Kobo want to beat out Amazon, which they could easily do, all they have to do is have them on display in stores right next to Kindles. Most people just buy Kindles because that's the name they hear, and it's the one "reviews" say is best. If those people could see them side-by-side, and use them side-by-side, I think most people would be walking out with a Kobo.

Last edited by Sir Loyne; 11-17-2017 at 04:18 AM.
Sir Loyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2017, 05:10 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Make unsupported/hidden features supported. For example: full screen mode. Expand the functionality of current features: allow weight adjustment of side-loaded fonts, more choices for font size, ...

Without the patches, I would probably move to another reader.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #22
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
If you are talking about the US kobo does not even compete. You cannot see their product anywhere. If you are talking devices kindle devices are a bit snappier and more durable but kobo software features and screens are very nice. Kobo could make its products more rugged and improve its store but if you dont advertise and compete in the market you are never going to cut into market share.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #23
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loyne View Post

If Kobo want to beat out Amazon, which they could easily do, all they have to do is have them on display in stores right next to Kindles.
Because of all the talk I had seen on sites like this one, I was all set to buy a Kindle. I changed my mind when I actually got to play with Kindle and Kobo side by side. That was five years ago and nothing Amazon has done since has tempted me to by a Kindle.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #24
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loyne View Post
If Kobo want to beat out Amazon, which they could easily do, all they have to do is have them on display in stores right next to Kindles. Most people just buy Kindles because that's the name they hear, and it's the one "reviews" say is best. If those people could see them side-by-side, and use them side-by-side, I think most people would be walking out with a Kobo.
Actually, I suspect that 100% of all positive "reviews" of both Kobo and Kindle devices are written by paid shills for Kobo and Amazon. The truth is that all e-readers are terrible compared to the Nook Simple Touch, which is the preferred choice of anyone who tries it out against other brands. If you think you like your Kobo/Kindle, sorry pal, you've been duped.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #25
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
Actually, I suspect that 100% of all positive "reviews" of both Kobo and Kindle devices are written by paid shills for Kobo and Amazon. The truth is that all e-readers are terrible compared to the Nook Simple Touch, which is the preferred choice of anyone who tries it out against other brands. If you think you like your Kobo/Kindle, sorry pal, you've been duped.
You mean I don't really like my Oasis and my Kobo Glo? All positive reviews are shills?

Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #26
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Having never used a Kindle, it could well be that Kobo already surpasses Kindle, is about the same, or somewhat inferior... don't know. From the little which I have read about Kindles, there's not much to tempt me to invest in one.

However, if Kobo would like to tempt more Kindle users to make the switch, there are a few things which they could do:

- Include some decent note taking functionality. On a 6" screen, this might not be a killer feature because there simply isn't all that much screen real estate to work with. However, the larger screen size of the KA1 would be really suitable for taking notes or making a quick sketch.

- Make it OTG enabled so that one could load files without the need to hook it up to a computer. It would be wonderful to simply load books and PDF files onto the device by simply plugging in a USB stick.

- Make the hidden screenshot visible and make it so that you can take a screenshot without having to disable the power button function.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #27
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I think many posters seem to be missing the point. Many if not most Mobileread members are by no means typical. I am not alone in having come to realise that the average user cares about very little other than convenience, price and basic reading functionality. This goes well beyond any particular hardware. It extends to the whole user experience, of which the hardware is but one part. Most people don't care about fonts. They don't care about side-loading. They don't care about drm. They don't care about sdcards. They don't care about open or closed platforms, and very few want to hack or even jailbreak their devices. They don't want to take notes or draw or plug in usb sticks or take screenshots. They are not passionate about formats, and will stay locked-in to their initial choice because they have no interest in Calibre or Apprentice Alf. We can all cheerfully delude ourselves that all people are like us and value whatever features we value. But it's just not true.

I own and use both Kindles and Kobo. Hardware wise there is little between them so far as the user experience is concerned. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I can cheerfully read on either. It is sheer fantasy to think all Kobo has to do is put its readers beside Kindles in retailers and people will choose Kobo every time. It would probably be close to 50/50 if the hardware was the only consideration. But when you take into account the whole user experience and infrastructure it will be 90% Kindle. Kobo's hardware can compete, but they are not even in the same ballpark as Amazon with everything else.

Last edited by darryl; 11-17-2017 at 09:42 AM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
I didn't like B&N's policies.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #29
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I think many posters seem to be missing the point. Many if not most Mobileread members are by no means typical. I am not alone in having come to realise that the average user cares about very little other than convenience, price and basic reading functionality. This goes well beyond any particular hardware. It extends to the whole user experience, of which the hardware is but one part. Most people don't care about fonts. They don't care about side-loading. They don't care about drm. They don't care about sdcards. They don't care about open or closed platforms, and very few want to hack or even jailbreak their devices. They don't want to take notes or draw or plug in usb sticks or take screenshots. They are not passionate about formats, and will stay locked-in to their initial choice because they have no interest in Calibre or Apprentice Alf. We can all cheerfully delude ourselves that all people are like us and value whatever features we value. But it's just not true.

I own and use both Kindles and Kobo. Hardware wise there is little between them so far as the user experience is concerned. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I can cheerfully read on either. It is sheer fantasy to think all Kobo has to do is put its readers beside Kindles in retailers and people will choose Kobo every time. It would probably be close to 50/50 if the hardware was the only consideration. But when you take into account the whole user experience and infrastructure it will be 90% Kindle. Kobo's hardware can compete, but they are not even in the same ballpark as Amazon with everything else.
Except for side-loading: you just described me.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #30
kelley5454
kelley5454 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo One Aura
I am having some disappointing issues, Libby won't sync all my books with my Aura one and it isa complete pain to have to login to each library individually to get my books. I have had to tape my library card numbers to the front of the Aura One so I can do this. multiple libraries would be a game change for me. I don't have a kindle but all the libraries let you send to kindle basically which would make it a lot easier. I have had my Aura One 2 days. So far I have a neutral opinion.
kelley5454 is offline   Reply With Quote