Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #1
Telemachus
Connoisseur
Telemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
What is the best firmware for my KA1 in regard to battery drain & text highlighting

4.3.8945 is my current installed firmware, automatically updated (my region is the UK and I have stuck with the default affliate 'Kobo')
I count at least 5 newer firmware updates since my current version.
Battery drain and text highlighting/selection are my main concerns.
Would I benefit from sideloading a newer version or should I wait for an automatic update?
Thanks Mick (Telemachus)
Telemachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I haven't seen any battery drain issues with any of the firmware revisions I've used on my Aura One. It seems to be a issue limited to a few units but I haven't seem any reports that indicate specific hardware or battery issues.

For highlighting, I mostly highlight errors for later correction so I'm not highlighting masses of text for later reference. I've seem some differences between highlighting with firmware revisions, currently I'm quite happy with the highlighting. If you need to highlight masses of text, using kepubs would be recommended so you can highlight over page boundaries.

As for sideloading? I tend to keep my devices on the newest firmware. Sometimes, that does lead to life on the bleeding edge.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
jfreudenthal
jfreudenthal began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I'm also stuck on 4.3 something (in Sweden). Why are updates pushed to certain markets but not others?
jfreudenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreudenthal View Post
I'm also stuck on 4.3 something (in Sweden). Why are updates pushed to certain markets but not others?
The updates seem to depend on the affiliate for the most part. Changing the affiliate.conf file in the .kobo directory to set bestbuyca as the affiliate seems to get the newest firmware. For Mac or Linux, you can use pretty much any text editor, for Windows use a text editor that respects end of line (Notepad++ is my choice there).

Code:
[General]
affiliate=KoboIndigo <== this is the value to replace

after editing:

[General]
affiliate=bestbuyca
The other option is to sideload the newer firmware. To do this, download the firmware.zip file for your hardware version, open it and copy the upgrade directory, KoboRoot.tgz and manifest.md5sum files into the .kobo directory. After the safely eject from your computer, the update should start automatically as long as your battery is over 20% charged though I prefer to have the battery over 30%.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-23-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #5
Telemachus
Connoisseur
Telemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverTelemachus exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I haven't seen any battery drain issues with any of the firmware revisions I've used on my Aura One. It seems to be a issue limited to a few units but I haven't seem any reports that indicate specific hardware or battery issues.

For highlighting, I mostly highlight errors for later correction so I'm not highlighting masses of text for later reference. I've seem some differences between highlighting with firmware revisions, currently I'm quite happy with the highlighting. If you need to highlight masses of text, using kepubs would be recommended so you can highlight over page boundaries.

As for sideloading? I tend to keep my devices on the newest firmware. Sometimes, that does lead to life on the bleeding edge.
Thanks, I'll probably try sideloading 4.4.9349 if the black on black screen bug has been resolved (have to check up on that...it's a job to keep abreast of all the developments on here at times)
Another reason I wish to upgrade is I don't like the current home screen on 4.3.8945, I understand there's been some changes made to that.
Advert
Old 05-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
Thanks, I'll probably try sideloading 4.4.9349 if the black on black screen bug has been resolved (have to check up on that...it's a job to keep abreast of all the developments on here at times)
Another reason I wish to upgrade is I don't like the current home screen on 4.3.8945, I understand there's been some changes made to that.
AFAIR, the black on black was an issue with 4.4.9344 on initial release. All the bad copies should have been flushed so either 9344 or 9349 should not have the black on black issues... hmmm.... famous last words there.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
Telemachus
Connoisseur

I synched today and 4.4.9349 was pushed to my KA1.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo is now pushing the latest firmware along with a lot of other affiliates.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:25 PM   #9
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Hmmm, maybe I'll finally get an upgrade using the standard sync provided upon purchase by kobo.com.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote