Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 05:18 AM   #31
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've thought of re-reading some classics only to find that they don't grab me at that moment like I need. I just go read something else and come back to the one that didn't grab me later. I agree that sometimes a person needs to re-read something again like watching a favorite old movie. I was reading from book 16 of the Harvard Classics the other day (Aladdin and the Magic Lamp) and enjoyed myself. Haven't had the time to finish the tale as yet but planning to. Him and Ali Baba were some of my favorite tales from 1001 nights when I was a kid. The first Sherlock Holmes story I read was Hound of the Baskervilles. It was one of those books offered via the leaflet that was offered through schools for books that kids would enjoy. I still have it somewhere I think. I read it while visiting for a week (during the summer) with my paternal grandmother so it would have been the late 70's at the time.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 AM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
If it's the book I read and reread more than any other as a kid, it would be Wuthering Heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Jane Eyre.
There are two kinds of people in the world, Wuthering Heights people and Jane Eyre people. I feel a poll coming on.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #33
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There are two kinds of people in the world, Wuthering Heights people and Jane Eyre people. I feel a poll coming on.
I'm a Tenant of Wildfell Hall people.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #34
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
Great one!

My favourite classic is

‘The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman’ by Laurence Sterne. One of the funniest books ever written with an unbelieveable big influence on literature over the centuries. It was changing the way a novel could be written and was and still is the favourite book of many an author. It is shock full of ideas and some of them are still like brand new. Very difficult layout and a perfect copy is in the MR library thanks to Patricia.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #35
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'm currently rereading War and Peace. This will be the third time. I just love the book.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #36
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I never liked The Catcher in the Rye, though I read it when I was 16 and had really dark thoughts at the time. Don't know why I didn't like it. Maybe it was because of cultural difference?
The book was actually given to me by my high school teacher because he thought I would like it. He was always pushing me into an english degree, sort of wish I would have listened to him more. My family thought he was crazy for suggesting that, since english had always been my worst subject. I wish he had been more clear at the time or maybe I was just thick headed. It was my worst subject because I was bored, something I now realize. That was why he kept giving me reading suggestions, free space to change things and pushing me to write. Something I am trying to do more of now.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #37
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
Two Years Before the Mast – Richard Henry Dana, Jr.’s account of his two years as a common sailor on a ship trading for furs and hides along the coast of Mexican California in the 1830s. Great descriptions of life aboard ship, crazy times sailing around Cape Horn and of San Diego, Santa Barbara and San Francisco when they were just ramshackle trading outposts in a remote Mexican colony. Always a great read, both as a dramatic narrative and as a look back in history.
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
Heh. Duly noted and accommodated in the poll.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #39
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I'm currently rereading War and Peace. This will be the third time. I just love the book.
I've never read it myself, but have a pbook copy somewhere I think. It's a rather thick book I believe. How long does it usually take you to read the whole thing?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #40
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I've never read it myself, but have a pbook copy somewhere I think. It's a rather thick book I believe. How long does it usually take you to read the whole thing?
I have had this book for a long time too. It keeps staring at me, saying read me! I have resisted though, something about it I can't get into it. Probably all the unkind jokes I heard growing up about the book has influenced me.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #41
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Depending upon how much free time I get, about 3-4 weeks.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #42
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Depending upon how much free time I get, about 3-4 weeks.
Now that really messes with the 100 book in 2011 challenge. Just like The Count of Monte Cristo did when I read it earlier in the year - really hammered my average (1400+ pages).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #43
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I never liked The Catcher in the Rye, though I read it when I was 16 and had really dark thoughts at the time. Don't know why I didn't like it. Maybe it was because of cultural difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
The book was actually given to me by my high school teacher because he thought I would like it. ...
I reread Catcher in the Rye recently. I found it again of great value, as literature and as it gave me deeper understanding.

I might be proficient to read it together with Goodbye Columbus, the novella that Philip Roth wrote in 1959. Although with very different styles, they both deal with kids' alienation and show an amazing understanding of teen agers of that time (and not only) and of their "confusion, angst, alienation, language, and rebellion". (Quoted from Wikipedia).
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #44
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by straygator View Post
Two Years Before the Mast – Richard Henry Dana, Jr.’s account of his two years as a common sailor on a ship trading for furs and hides along the coast of Mexican California in the 1830s. Great descriptions of life aboard ship, crazy times sailing around Cape Horn and of San Diego, Santa Barbara and San Francisco when they were just ramshackle trading outposts in a remote Mexican colony. Always a great read, both as a dramatic narrative and as a look back in history.
That sounds interesting.

Reminds me of a section of "The Memoirs of W.T. Sherman" when he was recounting the time he spent in California during the 1840's and 1850's It provides a fascinating look at the California of that time. That's a good book to read if you like history, because in addition to recounting his life, he provides a good sense of time and place, which gives the bigger picture.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #45
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
He's read it thrice so I doubt it took him very long.

Me, it took me forever to finish the first chapters. Admittedly, I gave up though I knew War and Peace was super. I can't blame my superficiality - I was 14 at that time, and The Count of Monte Cristo was far more exciting to a teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Now that really messes with the 100 book in 2011 challenge. Just like The Count of Monte Cristo did when I read it earlier in the year - really hammered my average (1400+ pages).
hmm. I think it was an easy read. Took me only several days. Of course I did with a superb translation. Except if you'd read it in French, then...
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote