Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #16
rlmesq
rlmesq began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
The K3 has a standard micro USB plug, so any compatible charger or cable should work fine.

I buy all of my cables at monoprice.com. They have micro USB cables for around a dollar, and car chargers for less than two bucks.
rlmesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #17
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermalou View Post
Be careful, one of the sets that I ordered had a broken usb cable and car charger.
That's bad, did you return it? Had them exchange it for a better one? My cables are good...it's only the car charger I don't like, it's not the one on the ads picture but I does works so, it's okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
The K3 has a standard micro USB plug, so any compatible charger or cable should work fine.

I buy all of my cables at monoprice.com. They have micro USB cables for around a dollar, and car chargers for less than two bucks.
I did saw some USB cables and car charger that only cost $.99, even saw $.01 one you only paid for the shipping.

Last edited by diokdin; 10-13-2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: added more comment...
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
gumhead
gumhead doesn't littergumhead doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3
Just ordered 1of these

I just purchased this accesory package for my new kindle on amazon.ca for 9.99 cdn plus 3.00 s/h seems like a great deal.....
gumhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #19
anatoli1985
Banned
anatoli1985 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumhead View Post
I just purchased this accesory package for my new kindle on amazon.ca for 9.99 cdn plus 3.00 s/h seems like a great deal.....
can you share the link?
anatoli1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #20
gumhead
gumhead doesn't littergumhead doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3
Link on Amazon.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatoli1985 View Post
can you share the link?
http://www.amazon.ca/CrazyOnDigital-...6982920&sr=8-1
gumhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #21
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
I got my kit today. The cover is OK, lightweight and seems well made. Time will tell how rugged it it is.

The power cords concern me, though. The first thing you notice is that they are really, really lightweight. And not UL listed. I don't know if it really matters, but I don't know if I'd leave them unattended while in use.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #22
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebel View Post
The power cords concern me, though. The first thing you notice is that they are really, really lightweight. And not UL listed. I don't know if it really matters, but I don't know if I'd leave them unattended while in use.
That's a bit disappointing. I'm not sure I would want to use anything dealing with direct access to electricity that wasn't UL listed, but maybe that's the result of brain washing!

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #23
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
You have to be really careful with those super cheap Chinese made cables/adapters. Often the cables are poorly soldered. Like those guys really don't know how to solder. You can open them up and SEE the solder mistakes/patches they make. I've even seen them solder stuff on the backside PCBS and run wire patches around stuff to get components to fit/work when other ones went bad.

At the very least, use a multimeter to test the line for shorts, voltage, and make sure it's putting out a steady load (current may be hard to test with some meters)
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #24
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I just purchased the cover by itself.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #25
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
You have to be really careful with those super cheap Chinese made cables/adapters. Often the cables are poorly soldered. Like those guys really don't know how to solder. You can open them up and SEE the solder mistakes/patches they make. I've even seen them solder stuff on the backside PCBS and run wire patches around stuff to get components to fit/work when other ones went bad.

At the very least, use a multimeter to test the line for shorts, voltage, and make sure it's putting out a steady load (current may be hard to test with some meters)
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll just toss the electrical cords, for safety's sake and for the sake of not killing my Kindle. Disappointing, lesson learned, and all that. Unfortunately, the envelope it came in got tosses and it might be more trouble than it's worth to return the whole thing.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #26
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post

Thanks. I'll have my husband do the checking...
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #27
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
Thanks. I'll have my husband do the checking...
Please, tell us the results.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #28
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
I ordered the cover, a gelskin and some screen protectors a while back. The stated delivery time to Canada was 7-14 days after shipping. That turned out a touch optimistic by almost a week. But the package showed up and I'm relatively happy with result. I've not tried the charging equipment and I suspect I might not. But the rest of the stuff is as stated. Inexpensive and useable.

While I don't leave the cave very often, I now feel a little safer taking the K3 with me. I tug on the gelskin and then put it into the cover. It fits to the limit of what safely could be called fitting. I put the sponge liner that came with the packaging in the overleaf side of the cover and that's my total cocoon for the reader. It doesn't quite fit into my fall coat pocket in this form, but it does in my winter jacket. It's about twice the weight of a standalone K3 just measuring by heft. It's less of a one-handed reader with all the encumbrances, but a lap and one-hand works well. And so does two-handed reading.

For 25 bucks Canadian, tax and shipping all in, I have to say I'd make the sale again.

PS: Haven't tried the screen protectors, which most people dislike. Having extras means being able to run several tests. Which still might ultimately result in going without. But not being a neat freak, I have to admit to SOME worry about keeping the Kindle as clean as it deserveres--and needs--to be.
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #29
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
My Crazy Digital cover fits very nicely. It appears to be real leather (if it's pleather, I can't tell). I'm very happy with my $10 cover. Only downside is that it doesn't completely enclose my Kindle and cat hair is attracted to the felt interior.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessory kit, book cover, car charger, kindle 3