Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #1
FlyHero
Member Retired
FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: N/A
Choosing Kobo Model

I am in the market for a new device but tend to buy for the long term and have bad luck with blind purchases. I can't lay hands on any Kobo devices where I live either. I am considering the Aura One and Aura H20 v2. Previous device - Kindle 4.

Aside from it costing 50 dollars more, the glass front of the Aura One worries me with regard to reflections/depth. I have never used any E-Reader without the sunken/non glass covered display. Can you all comment on that and if its an issue? I tend to have real issues with glossy displays and focusing at times. I prefer to use a reading lamp when I have access to one over a front light if there is a choice, so reflectiveness is going to be a real day to day issue.

Is the reading experience on both devices the same otherwise? They both appear to have the Comfort Light PRO although the One has higher PPI. They are both larger than the Kindle at 7 and 7.8" so both will be an upgrade that way.

Last edited by FlyHero; 03-26-2018 at 08:26 PM.
FlyHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:23 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I can't compare anything to the Aura H2O Edition 2 as I don't have one. But, I do have an Aura ONE (though my wife is using it now) and the previous Aura H2O. I gave my father an Aura H2O Edition 2 as a Christmas present, but didn't have much time to play with it.

From the glare point of view, I haven't noticed it to be any worse on the Aura ONE than the other Kobo ereaders. It doesn't actually have a glass screen. It is plastic like the others, just flush rather than inset like the two different Aura H2Os.

All recent Kobo devices run the same basic firmware. The differences between the firmware packages are only to account for hardware differences. The reader application is identical across them all. There are some functions enabled for different devices, mainly on-device library borrowing on the Aura ONE. But, everything else is the same.

From my experience, I would pick the Aura ONE over either of the Aura H2O versions. And I have preferred the Glo HD over my Aura H2O. The problem is that I find the Aura H2O in its cover a bit bulky for its size. The smaller Glo HD worked better for me during my commute. But, the Aura ONE worked well for the commute. It seemed a lot sleeker than the Aura H2O.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Well, it all comes down to your budget and a reader with light is a must, no doubt. I bought a H2O couple week ago and really love it. Yes, its a bit more bulky but its also water resistant. I would get a H2O or the One due to the fact that the aura v2 is a bit small and only has 4GB while H2O has 8GB.

The One also looks very nice and amazing screen, it has a bit higher contrast but also more reflection then the H2O but it all comes down to how much you want to spend.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote