Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
iatheia
Zealot
iatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3, Icarus Illumina XL, Boyue T62
Reopening CC loses position, and reader app doesn't reopen at current position

It would be nice if CC would remember the last opened window it had before the program has closed (or at least have an option to do so) - such as keeping track of the filtering option (right now it remembers that it was filtering something, but not what it was, usually returning an empty list), or a book details page, since, if I'm in a process of reading a book I will most likely just want to pick up from the spot I left it. The option to just sort the books by the last access date is nice, but it doesn't quite organize everything as neatly as I like.

I don't really know if it is part of CC's coding or has mostly to do with a particular reading software, but if I were to open a book with CC and go to a certain page, if I were to go back and then start the ereader software outside of CC, it would not realize that the book has been opened and read. Not a problem if I always open it through CC first, but this is why remembering last opened window would be nice to have.

Also, if the book is on the last page in an ereader, it would be nice if, after backing up to CC, a dialog showed up asking to mark it as complete, if it is something that CC would be able to keep track of.

Anyway, thanks for the great program!
iatheia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:00 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatheia View Post
I don't really know if it is part of CC's coding or has mostly to do with a particular reading software, but if I were to open a book with CC and go to a certain page, if I were to go back and then start the ereader software outside of CC, it would not realize that the book has been opened and read.
This is not my experience at all. I just tried 3 different Android apps (PocketBook, Mantano, FBReader). All of them remembered the current page correctly from the previous time the book was opened with that app - either via CC or outside CC.

Obviously, because each app stores its own book progress, App A cannot know where App B was up to for the same book.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2015, 11:45 PM   #3
iatheia
Zealot
iatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This is not my experience at all. I just tried 3 different Android apps (PocketBook, Mantano, FBReader). All of them remembered the current page correctly from the previous time the book was opened with that app - either via CC or outside CC.

Obviously, because each app stores its own book progress, App A cannot know where App B was up to for the same book.
Moon+ does not. (you're right, the other three do work now that I've tried them, but I cannot say I am very fond of them in how they feel in other ways).

In one of the menu settings, File Names, option "Use CC template everywhere" lists book position synching "especially with Moon+"... the way I understood it it's book position from Calibre library, is this wrong?
Old 11-12-2015, 12:46 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Moon+ does not. (you're right, the other three do work now that I've tried them, but I cannot say I am very fond of them in how they feel in other ways).
I must not be understanding your point. All I ever use is Moon + and it has never forgot where it was when I reopen the book via CC or via the Moon + app. But using the CC widgets makes it extremely easy to access the books you were previously reading by simply launching the book from the widget.

Quote:
In one of the menu settings, File Names, option "Use CC template everywhere" lists book position synching "especially with Moon+"... the way I understood it it's book position from Calibre library, is this wrong?
This has to do with the Moon+ feature to sync books between devices using dropbox. In order to sync books between devices the book has to have the same file name on all devices. Syncing page positions between devices is a feature of Moon+ and has nothing to do with calibre or CC except for the fact that CC makes it easy to ensure all of your devices use the same naming template.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-12-2015 at 12:51 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:51 AM   #5
iatheia
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I must not be understanding your point. All I ever use is Moon + and it has never forgot where it was when I reopen the book via CC or via the Moon + app. But using the CC widgets makes it extremely easy to access the books you were previously reading by simply launching the book from the widget.
Yes, when opening Moon+ from CC it does remember it's position. It just would be nice if CC would remember the last screen it had opened before the program is shut down, such as if the last thing I looked up were book details, it would have an option to remember to open up in the same book details, and if it had some sort of grouping applied before I accessed the book details, it would keep the same grouping once I back out of it. (I tend to stay with the same grouping for a while, but I have a large library and a lot of different groupings, so it is a bit annoying to always have find it).
Kind of like a web browser remembers which pages were opened and their history next time I start it even though I can stop it from running in the background.

I never really used widgets before... I guess it helpful to returning to a previously opened book (pity my books don't really have pretty covers). But that wouldn't solve the grouping part. Particularly, right now if I happen to leave a grouping on before I exit CC, and then restart it it says "no books match the search" so I need to first clear the null value and then reapply the grouping again to have it display properly. So it almost works, it just doesn't quite remember what it was supposed to search for.

I would also need to find a book again in CC if I want to look up some particulars that are in the book details but not in the book itself, or after I finish reading it to mark it as read, which is easy enough to do, but still takes some navigation. If it either remembered the screen it had before (or if it was possible to launch CC book details screen as well as a reading app from the widget) it would simplify the process.
Advert
Old 11-12-2015, 03:58 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I confess to a great deal of confusion.
Quote:
Yes, when opening Moon+ from CC it does remember it's position. It just would be nice if CC would remember the last screen it had opened before the program is shut down, such as if the last thing I looked up were book details, it would have an option to remember to open up in the same book details, and if it had some sort of grouping applied before I accessed the book details, it would keep the same grouping once I back out of it. (I tend to stay with the same grouping for a while, but I have a large library and a lot of different groupings, so it is a bit annoying to always have find it).
Kind of like a web browser remembers which pages were opened and their history next time I start it even though I can stop it from running in the background.
CC already does exactly what you ask. If you are in CC's book details and go to a reader app or back to the desktop with the "Home" button, when you come back to CC you are in book details. CC remembers the grouping, sorting, and searching that were in effect when you left CC.

Are you exiting CC by using the "Back" button? If so, then CC remembers the last grouping/sorting etc in effect, essentially no grouping and no sorting because you backed out of them on the way out..

If you are not exiting using the back button, could you tell me exactly what you are doing?
Quote:
Particularly, right now if I happen to leave a grouping on before I exit CC, and then restart it it says "no books match the search" so I need to first clear the null value and then reapply the grouping again to have it display properly. So it almost works, it just doesn't quite remember what it was supposed to search for.
Again, I don't see this.

The following screenshots show CC with a search and sort active.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	143643 Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	143644

When I go from CC to the desktop using the "Home" button then tap the CC icon, I see the second screen again.

Although I know of no case where grouping and sorting will get lost, there is one case where the search will get not be re-applied. If the device is severely memory challenged then the search results might be gone when CC restarts. Because search can be very slow, CC does not automatically redo the search. Instead it remembers what it was. You can tap the search line and redo it by hand. As the grouping and sorting values were remembered, what you see after redoing the search is very close to what was showing before tapping "Home".
Quote:
I would also need to find a book again in CC if I want to look up some particulars that are in the book details but not in the book itself, or after I finish reading it to mark it as read, which is easy enough to do, but still takes some navigation. If it either remembered the screen it had before (or if it was possible to launch CC book details screen as well as a reading app from the widget) it would simplify the process.
If you launch the reader app from book details then when you restart CC you will be in book details. I know of no case where this is not true.

Given that you are seeing things that in theory cannot happen, something very strange is going on. It might help to send me a CC debug log as described in this FAQ answer. Please go through a sequence like start CC, search, group, go to book details, read book, then come back to CC and send the debug log. If I understand you correctly, CC will not be showing book details when you come back.

As for Moon+ not starting in the last book at the last position, this is controlled by a Moon+ option. In Moon+, open a book, tap the center to see the Moon+ controls, tap the 3-dot menu button, tap Miscellaneous, then choose the "Open last file at startup". You might also want to go to Control options and set the Back Key to "Close Moon+ Reader". If you do this and if you start Moon+ from CC then "Back" will take you from Moon+ to CC.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #7
iatheia
Zealot

Never mind, I figured out what was happening. The "set grouping at startup" was checked in the menu, and it was trying to group data using a custom column that wasn't indexed in the drawer, so it was always trying to go to that instead of the last opened one.
Sorry for the confusion, thank you all!
Old 11-13-2015, 05:16 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Never mind, I figured out what was happening. The "set grouping at startup" was checked in the menu, and it was trying to group data using a custom column that wasn't indexed in the drawer, so it was always trying to go to that instead of the last opened one.
Sorry for the confusion, thank you all!
Glad you found it and glad that you told me. CC should say something in this case. I will fix that.

Did changing the Moon+ option(s) fix Moon+ not opening the book when you restart it?
Old 11-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

CC now shows this dialog if the "grouping on startup" group no longer is in the grouping drawer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	143692  
Old 11-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #10
iatheia
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Did changing the Moon+ option(s) fix Moon+ not opening the book when you restart it?
Yep, that also works now, thanks.