Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Any Way to Change Mouse Pointer under Linux?

In Calibre under Linux, when the mouse pointer is in the top menu area it, it changes from the standard arrow pointer to a hand pointing to the side. Is there any way to change this so the pointer stays as the standard arrrow? The change in implied directions of that pointer (up for the base of the hand, but to the left for the pointing finger) makes it difficult for me to figure out where it's pointing.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That is controlled by the OS -- it's not really specific to calibre.
You'll see the same hand icon in the browser, when hovering over a link.

You can, however, change your cursor theme -- a rough guide is here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/3000...-mouse-pointer

If the hand pointer bothers you in calibre, I assume it will bother you in other applications as well. It would be a good idea to change it universally.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was wondering if it was controlled by the OS. But, I've never seen it anywhere else but in Calibre at the top menus. Right here, in Google Chrome, when I hover over a link, I get a hand icon as a pointer, but it's a straight up and down hand pointer.

But, thanks for the information. I'll hunt around through the OS and see if I can find it there.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I lie.

I get a different set of cursors when I use the official binaries, rather than my own source install.

Now, I know the official binaries bundle various libraries, themes, etc. necessary for calibre to run. But why those should include icon cursors? I don't know.
Maybe it's just telling the OS to use a different cursor when using the binaries? I don't know.

This is more barebones stuff than I am familiar with.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
This is more barebones stuff than I am familiar with.
Not surprising, he's been dead for three-hundred-years and more, Praise the Lord.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Actually, I lie.
I guess I confirm your faux pas . I'm using the DMZ-White set of mouse cursors in Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon. I went through every mouse cursor in /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/Cursors, and that cursor isn't there. I also browsed around through the files included in my home folder's /.config/Calbre directories and don't see any mouse cursor there either. I've also tried changing to a different theme in Calibre and that doesn't seem to affect the mouse cursors either. Odd. But, I'll keep looking.

EDIT: Also, that mouse pointer is black instead of white.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 10-08-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #7
enuddleyarbl
Guru

I'm looking through the Calibre code on GitHub (which is mostly pointless since I understand nothing about it), and after thrashing wildly I see:

resources/viewer/mathjax/jax/element/mml/optable/GeometricShapes.js
Showing the top match. Last indexed on May 30.

47 '\u25C4': MO.BIN4, // black left-pointing pointer

That's most likely random noise on my part. But, it's interesting that it talks about a black left-pointing pointer. Of course, it's sitting in a mathjax resource of some kind. So, I can't see how it would be relevant.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I suspect it is most likely part of the linux freeze, actually -- which means it is probably yanked from the configuration of Kovid's build machine.

Just like the builtin file browser, which you see when using Add Books (it is ugly, and has no labels for removable drives).

The reason I don't see any of this, is because I built calibre myself, from source. I do that because it is easy to keep up-to-date just issue a `git pull` and occasionally if any C++ files changed, `python2 setup.py build`

So no funky cursors or file browsers had a chance to make their way onto my computer.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC there is a Ubuntu specific bug that causes this with Qt 5. The pointing hand cursor specifically is not loaded from the ubuntu cursor theme and instead fallsback to the default X11 cursor shape.

Some googling should find the bug report.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Why do I get the same default X11 cursor on ArchLinux, then, using your precompiled binaries rather than my source install?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:57 AM   #11
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Still looking around the web and can't find anything on it (but I'll keep trying). Also, I've searched through my system and can't find anything that looks like it. To help clarify, it looks like a black version of "hand2" on this page:

https://camo.githubusercontent.com/f...6234642e676966

Or, XC_hand2 from this page:

http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/appendix/b/

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 10-09-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:18 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why do I get the same default X11 cursor on ArchLinux, then, using your precompiled binaries rather than my source install?
Probably because you've replicated whatever it is about Ubuntu that causes this on your Arch system It does not happen on my Arch system.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:20 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Dave That's because it is exactly that. As far as I can tell, it is the hand cursor builtin into the Xserver. You wont find it in a cursor theme either on your computer or in calibre (calibre does not bundle any cursor themes in any case).
Old 10-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #14
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@Dave That's because it is exactly that. As far as I can tell, it is the hand cursor builtin into the Xserver. You wont find it in a cursor theme either on your computer or in calibre (calibre does not bundle any cursor themes in any case).
Do you happen to know the name of the cursor (hand, hand1, hand2, etc.) that's supposed to be used as the mouse pointer hovers over the menu buttons in the menu bar (it's probable the code just sets an attribute to MOUSEOVER or something, but I thought I'd ask)? It might help me find a reported bug. I don't see anything on the Linux Mint GitHub repositories and I guess I'll try reporting it myself

https://github.com/linuxmint

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 10-09-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre uses Qt which uses the symbolic name Qt::PointingHandCursor, I dont know how Qt maps that to the X cursor names. Here is the bug report I opened about it in the Qt big tracker a while ago: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-41151