Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-20-2015, 03:05 AM   #61
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Lots of people still buy hard copies of the video games for example i.e cd/dvds even though almost everything is available online with services such as steam because they feel safer or they want to own them. And video games haven't been around so long as books. Most people like owning physical books so I think they will never disappear.
Other issue is large format books, such as art books, cookbooks, history books. Those will always be prettier and easier to go through in physical form imo. But even novels won't ever go full digital because people have always appreciated having bookshelves and books. Some people love the feel and smell of books, they love how those books are part of their home. It might be practical to go full digital, ecologically better and all, but people aren't fully utilitarian. They're quite mushy and sentimental about books. And the thing is they usually transfer that love of books onto their children as well. So I think the claim expressed in the title of this thread is quite false.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:27 AM   #62
Lima Bean
Groupie
Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The schools my son (age 11) and daughter (age 13) attend, are weaning the students off of printed books. About half of my son's text books have to be accessed on the computer. Most of their quizzes and tests are done on the school's Chromebooks or iPads. My son is as computer savvy as the next kid, but he doesn't like taking all of his tests or doing his homework on the computer. It's pretty hilarious listening to an 11-year-old pine for the Good Ol' Days of paper, but kind of sad at the same time.

In our school district, by the time a student reaches the 9th grade, they no no longer have any physical textbooks. All books are accessed through iPads, which we are required to rent at $50.00 a month. We cannot use our own iPads--everyone must use the school-issued iPads.

Studies have shown that people, both young and old, absorb more when reading from a paper book than a digital one. Reading from a computer screen inhibits comprehension levels. From what I've observed with my own children, and my own experience trying to master academic material, I have drawn the same conclusion. Shouldn't a school's goal be to maximize comprehension? Digitizing everything saves money, but at a cost!

Last edited by Lima Bean; 02-20-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Lima Bean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, printed books