Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-01-2020, 08:48 PM   #106
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi folks

Are there any new opinions about the functionality of this device? And how does it work with Calibre? I watched a few vids on youtube but they are all so focussed on the tech specs and PDF functionality and I'd love to see more of the actual basic experiences like sideloading books, what apps are included already, and the file management side of things. I'm considering buying one for the increased flexibility of having the option of multiple readers available as my Kobo Glo is now literally falling apart at the corners. It still works, but one day I just know that another corner is going to pop off and I won't be able to turn it on!

Also, the cover that comes with it, is it fabric or a smooth wipeable surface? I used to have a fabric cover for my Glo and it was a pig to keep clean. In all the pics and vids I've seen it looks like fabric but the ereader store says it's PU leather.

Any opinions gladly welcomed.

TIA ��
ilovereading.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:17 PM   #107
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedoom View Post
Does Scribd work on the device?
I donot know, but I didnt find an Android app which didnt work.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2020, 10:24 PM   #108
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovereading.com View Post
And how does it work with Calibre?
Im using Calibre Companion
Quote:
Also, the cover that comes with it, is it fabric or a smooth wipeable surface? I used to have a fabric cover for my Glo and it was a pig to keep clean. In all the pics and vids I've seen it looks like fabric but the ereader store says it's PU leather.
It not fabric.
But I don't use it because the device is glued in.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:51 AM   #109
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
Quote:

And how does it work with Calibre?
TIA ��
As far as desktop calibre, the first time you plug in (any android-based device) Calibre will prompt to ask if you want Calibre to manage this device? If you select yes, you will never be asked again, it just works. Once when my Poke 2 was not recognized by Calibre (or even windows, for that matter) I had the Poke 2 restart and all was fine after that.
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:53 AM   #110
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
It not fabric.
But I don't use it because the device is glued in.
If anyone comes across any third party cases, please let me know.
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #111
Gnome de Plume
Gnome de Plume began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Poke 5, Kobo Libra 2
Emmerson Gray makes a felt sleeve for the Poke 2. I paid a bit extra to have them sew mine in portrait orientation and it fits like a glove.
Gnome de Plume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #112
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
This Aliexpress store also has a number of Poke 2 cases.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #113
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndlewis View Post
As far as desktop calibre, the first time you plug in (any android-based device) Calibre will prompt to ask if you want Calibre to manage this device? If you select yes, you will never be asked again, it just works. Once when my Poke 2 was not recognized by Calibre (or even windows, for that matter) I had the Poke 2 restart and all was fine after that.
Thx. Are there any limitations or is it just as it is with any other device?
Old 07-09-2020, 06:23 PM   #114
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

Here's a great hour-long review of this device https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ3H0fetMuM
Old 07-10-2020, 09:26 AM   #115
kndlewis
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thx. Are there any limitations or is it just as it is with any other device?
I've not run into any issues with calibre and Poke2.
Now, with calibre companion installed on the Poke, calibre desktop will recognize this and want to download books into calibre companion folder. This can be changed in the desktop programs settings. With the device plugged in, it's under 'Device' > 'configure this device'. You will find "A list of folders on the device to which to send ebooks. The first one that exists will be used:"
You can edit this list so your onyx's 'books' folder is listed first if you want all books in one place and to show up in the library view (home screen).
Old 07-10-2020, 08:37 PM   #116
Tume
Tume began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke2
Can anyone confirm does Nextory, Storytell and Bookbeat apps from Google Store work with Poke2?

If anyone can confirm those works, I will buy one immediately

- Tume
Tume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #117
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndlewis View Post
I've not run into any issues with calibre and Poke2.
Now, with calibre companion installed on the Poke, calibre desktop will recognize this and want to download books into calibre companion folder. This can be changed in the desktop programs settings. With the device plugged in, it's under 'Device' > 'configure this device'. You will find "A list of folders on the device to which to send ebooks. The first one that exists will be used:"
You can edit this list so your onyx's 'books' folder is listed first if you want all books in one place and to show up in the library view (home screen).

Also, can anyone tell me if the cover is fabric or wipe clean? Any third party ones found yet?

Also, I've seen some mention that the lowest level of the frontlight is still quite bright. This may be a deal breaker for me as I'm light sensitive. Any comments?

And is there anyone who's Library system is Borrowbox? If so, does that work ok on it?
Old 07-12-2020, 05:23 AM   #118
kndlewis
Connoisseur

Quote:

Also, I've seen some mention that the lowest level of the frontlight is still quite bright. This may be a deal breaker for me as I'm light sensitive. Any comments?
I realize frontlighting is very subjective but on my unit, I can turn the light controls to near-zero light level. I don't have any test equipment to report actual numbers but I have no complaints with the frontlight.
Mine's not perfect but it's close. As in even-ness and shadows and bright patches. Closer to perfect than most of my other readers. I had an Inkbook reader that was WAY too bright at the lowest setting. They eventually fixed it (sort of) with a firmware update. But that's not this unit. This Poke2 is fine.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:50 AM   #119
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Since a lot of time ago, I don't remember what device I had, but I decided not buy anything more from Boox because their "abandonware after new device is released", but recently I got a Poke 2 and... Well, software still sucks a lot, but having Android and then KOreader (that sucks by other reasons), FBReader (that works reliable enough) and other Android apps, well,

I like my Poke 2 a lot.

rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:54 PM   #120
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
A Poke 2 question: why does a device with no speaker have a built-in microphone? It seems somewhat extraneous, particularly as any use of audio on the device would likely be via BT, and so could do audio-pickup via BT as well (with a BT microphone or a BT headset).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
I like my Poke 2 a lot.
I second that.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote