Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crochetgeek2010 View Post
I have had no issues, I checked my Kobo HD and H20, my PC is always up to date on patches. Good luck.
Just to clarify. Are you on the PREVIEW version of Windows 10 or the RELEASE version?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:26 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crochetgeek2010 View Post
I have had no issues, I checked my Kobo HD and H20, my PC is always up to date on patches. Good luck.
With the 1511 release version of Windows 10, I don't have any issues.

Where I am seeing problems is with the the 1607 Windows Insider Preview build (currently at 14393.5 which is about 3800 builds later than the 1511 release). You won't see this version in general release until August 2nd and then, only for those who have been on Windows 10 for at least 30 days.

Easiest way to see what version you are running is the old winver tool. Hit Windows-R, type winver and hit enter.

I've attached the release and preview results for me to this message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winver_1511.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	150527   Click image for larger version

Name:	winver_1607.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	150528  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #18
eastmushu
eastmushu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm on 14393.5 and my Glo is not detected either.
eastmushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:15 AM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmushu View Post
I'm on 14393.5 and my Glo is not detected either.
And barring another point release in the next 24 hours, I'm not feeling very optimistic about the bug not being in the final Anniversary release code.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:44 AM   #20
Diruuo
Enthusiast
Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Aura
Is this a problem with the firmware on the Kobo devices or a missing driver in Windows itself?

Edit - aren't we expecting a firmware update soonish? It might resolve the issue. I'm not familiar with how this particular thing works so I have no sense of where the problem is and how it can be fixed. Theoretically it should be fixable via an update to the Kobo or a release of a new driver for Windows...

Last edited by Diruuo; 08-01-2016 at 03:51 AM.
Diruuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2016, 03:52 AM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diruuo View Post
Is this a problem with the firmware on the Kobo devices or a missing driver in Windows itself?
The Kobo devices work with the current released version of Windows 10. They don't work with the preview of the anniversary version of Window 10.

The above says that MS have broken things.

But, it is possible that Kobo are doing something wrong and that Windows has been accepting that up until now.

Who knows. All I know is that I won't be accepting the Windows 10 update until I see some news.

Quote:
Edit - aren't we expecting a firmware update soonish? It might resolve the issue. I'm not familiar with how this particular thing works so I have no sense of where the problem is and how it can be fixed. Theoretically it should be fixable via an update to the Kobo or a release of a new driver for Windows...
Yes/no/maybe. We won't be seeing it this week. The latest a new firmware will be seen is when the new devices are released. Kobo have said something will be announced mid-August. If that is devices, then they will probably be released in September. That means a firmware release at around that time. But, the update might not come to all devices at once. Sometimes Kobo releases just before the new devices, and sometimes Kobo holds the updates for existing devices for a month or so after the new devices. It seems to depend on if they are releasing new function and want it on the new devices before everyone else gets it. I'm not going to try and predict what they will do this time.

The announcement might be something else. The obvious thing is OverDrive support. That is supposed to be coming according to the OverDrive CEO, but we haven't seen anything from Kobo yet. Or it might just be some new marketing campaign.

The problem with the firmware updated coming after the Windows update is that it will have to be installed over WiFi. There are people here who don't have WiFi and only use the connection to the PC. And there are people who refuse to use the WiFi. That makes updating those devices problematic.

Last edited by davidfor; 08-01-2016 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Added reply for the edit to the post I was replying to.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
And David there are people who refuse to change f/w because some feature the love has been removed or something added that they despise.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #23
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
3.11 here
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:45 PM   #24
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
I just updated to the newly released 14393.10 and still no go. I have a small microSD card I can use (only the internal doesn't work) so I'm fine for now, but those who don't please be careful since the Anniversary update starts rolling out tomorrow as have been mentioned.

Edit: And those who are insiders, please vote in the feedback hub (just search kobo, there are a bunch).

Last edited by Hypernova; 08-01-2016 at 11:47 PM.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:33 AM   #25
beachboybogart
Connoisseur
beachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura, and older devices lounging in my bookcase.
According to Kobo tech support tonight, "We realize that they are compatibility issues and are working closely with Microsoft to resolve the issue as quickly as possible." About as boilerplate as one would expect. I asked "Is it a MS issue or a Kobo issue?" "There is an issue with the compatibility with Windows 10 and Kobo Devices and Application. We are working together to resolve the issue." When asked "What is 'Application'?": "When I said Application I meant the Kobo Application (Kobo Desktop Application). I don't know where exactly the issue is (Windows 10 or Kobo), but we are working together to resolve the issue."

I hope this means they are at least aware of the situation.
beachboybogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:49 AM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Continuing with the update connectivity issues, I took one computer that was connecting happily to my Kobo ereader and iPhone 5S. I forced it to update using the Windows 10 Anniversary Update Assistant and reconnected the Kobo and the iPhone 5S.

Much as I expected, I get an empty drive for the Kobo's internal storage and the iPhone shows no files/directories.

So my recommendation not to update is still in effect.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-03-2016 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:26 AM   #27
snazzyapeman
snazzyapeman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Was making another thread which I'll cancel. I have a GloHD which today's release Anniversary SP wants to format. I'm not sure if Windows 10 did, since I only had that running for a couple of days. Just a coincidence that I went to add books tonight.

I tried various removing drivers and devices, different ports, reboots and the like. No joy. Connected it to Win 7 laptop, no problems. Latest firmware (Jan I think), which appears as the device name (Kobo eReader-3.19576 USB Device). It says it's using an MS Disk Drive driver.
snazzyapeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best way to prevent your Windows 10 system from installing the Anniversary Update is to turn off the Windows Update service. To do that...

1. Hit Win+R on the keyboard
2. Type services.msc in the box
3. Find Windows Update in the list of services
4. Click on it and change the service from manual to disabled
5. Reboot

Do not enable the service until we are sure that the Anniversary Update is working properly with USB devices
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:46 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Where do I see these reports of devices not being seen with Windows 10 preview? I'd like to see if there are bug reports with the released version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #30
beachboybogart
Connoisseur
beachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura, and older devices lounging in my bookcase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Continuing with the update connectivity issues,
Much as I expected, I get an empty drive for the Kobo's internal storage and the iPhone shows no files/directories.
I got a follow-up email from Kobo support today. They wanted to "help resolve" the problem. Unfortunately, they threw the same boilerplate at me, and when I groused about that, they went on a different tack: reinstalling the Kobo desktop app... which would include rebooting, and of course losing the connection. I thanked them and moved on.
beachboybogart is offline   Reply With Quote