Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 08:07 PM   #1
cyteen
cyteen began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
moving library to a new computer

I got a new computer and followed the advice in the manual on moving a library. It mostly worked. I say mostly because not all of my library was imported. I tried deleting what was imported and retrying, but the entire library still did not get imported.

What do I do to get the rest of my library back into Calibre?
cyteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:37 AM   #2
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
What operating system, what version of calibre, which way of importing? using the export/import option (which creates a spanned series of zipstyle files) or simply copy/pasting your library folder and configuration folder over to the new computer?
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:17 PM   #3
cyteen

Windows 10, Calibre 18 on the old, 19 on the new, using the import/export option.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont see how its possible for export/import to not process entire libraries, unless the library was already damaged. Run the check library function on the source computer if you can, or alternately import the library by copying the entire library folder and run the check library on the new system. See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ter-to-another
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:44 AM   #5
cyteen

I ran the check library on the old computer and it says no errors. One problem I had was that the biggest USB I have is not big enough to move all the export files in one go. Can that cause a problem? I've tried to connect the 2 computers in a peer-to-peer network by a crossover ethernet cable but am having difficulties with it.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyteen View Post
I ran the check library on the old computer and it says no errors. One problem I had was that the biggest USB I have is not big enough to move all the export files in one go. Can that cause a problem? I've tried to connect the 2 computers in a peer-to-peer network by a crossover ethernet cable but am having difficulties with it.
does your router have 2 ports? Are you using WiFi? either should work.
BTW both computers need to be set Private Network (if it had a setting).
EACH network has to be set. Your peer cable is a 'different' network than the home router was. even changing brands of routers, makes a newly found Network ( Great if you move about with your PC. Each net gets individual settings. Starbucks: Public, Home: Private, Your friends house: Dodgy ( )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
cyteen

No router and my internet hot spot does not have a router function. I'll follow the above suggestion about moving the whole folder, by USB stick (in the biggest chunks possible) if I can't get the network to working again.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyteen View Post
No router and my internet hot spot does not have a router function. I'll follow the above suggestion about moving the whole folder, by USB stick (in the biggest chunks possible) if I can't get the network to working again.
If you have wireless in on both PC's then my recommendation is to do a wireless peer to peer between them. I do not like crossover network cables.

https://www.lifewire.com/set-up-an-a...network-818272

bernie

PS

I see that Microsoft has made it difficult to do ad-hoc peer to peer.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Buy a suitable (3.5" or 2.5") hard disk SATA->USB enclosure, remove the disk from the old computer, put it in the enclosure and attach it to a usb port on the new computer, use file manager to copy folders and files.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote