Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #226
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They're already paying the Adobe Tax to enable library ebooks so it wouldn't cost much if anything. That's part if why it's such a head scratcher that they don't. They're limiting their ebook sales.
That statement doesn't make sense. If B&N is supplying ebooks to libraries, the libraries would be paying the "Adobe Tax" not B&N. I will admit that I have never seen a B&N published ebook in a library listing but then I'm in Canada.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #227
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I don't understand why people say they cannot back up nook books. I have been using a nook since day one and have all my nook books backed up. Granted you have to locate the folder in Windows 10 where they are stored but once found then there is no problem.

Also you can read standard Adept DRM books on a nook, so I think there strategy was to lure those users over to them..
Perhaps you should head over the B&N forum? There seems to be near endless litany of complaints from users, most of them tied to not being able to download and/or deDRM their B&N purchases.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:04 PM   #228
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That statement doesn't make sense. If B&N is supplying ebooks to libraries, the libraries would be paying the "Adobe Tax" not B&N. I will admit that I have never seen a B&N published ebook in a library listing but then I'm in Canada.
BN is paying the adobe tax to enable Nook to read books borrowed from the library. Not that they are supplying the books to the library.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:10 PM   #229
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I don't understand why people say they cannot back up nook books. I have been using a nook since day one and have all my nook books backed up. Granted you have to locate the folder in Windows 10 where they are stored but once found then there is no problem.
For a while, the Nook app (the only way to download B&N books that still works) was removed from the Microsoft store without notice or explanation. Similar to the way that the former B&N Nook and Nook Study programs just stopped working one day.

Then once the app came back, downloads just stopped working for a while. That was a technical glitch I believe. It seems to be working now.

But B&N has a history of changing DRM schemes, stopping downloads and blocking their programs without warning.

When was the last time you purchased a Nook book and removed the DRM? As far as I know it still works, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were to suddenly stop.

Quote:
Also you can read standard Adept DRM books on a nook, so I think there strategy was to lure those users over to them.
My point was I'd like to see B&N ditch their proprietary DRM and just use Adobe DRM (and allow downloads of the books from their website, like they used to).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #230
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Perhaps you should head over the B&N forum? There seems to be near endless litany of complaints from users, most of them tied to not being able to download and/or deDRM their B&N purchases.
I have seen those complaints regarding the old Nook for PC app and Nook Study not allowing for the downloading of books. I moved on from those apps to the Windows 10 Nook app, which allows you to download books and magazines.

I can only go by my experience as to the ability to download and Dedrm nook books. I have never had any problems in either respect.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #231
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
For a while, the Nook app (the only way to download B&N books that still works) was removed from the Microsoft store without notice or explanation. Similar to the way that the former B&N Nook and Nook Study programs just stopped working one day.

Then once the app came back, downloads just stopped working for a while. That was a technical glitch I believe. It seems to be working now.
The Nook app did disappear from the Windows Store for about a month and then returned with an updated version. If you had installed the previous version it still worked. When the new version came out, my installed version was updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
But B&N has a history of changing DRM schemes, stopping downloads and blocking their programs without warning.

When was the last time you purchased a Nook book and removed the DRM? As far as I know it still works, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were to suddenly stop.

My point was I'd like to see B&N ditch their proprietary DRM and just use Adobe DRM (and allow downloads of the books from their website, like they used to).
B&N are not the only ones who have updated their DRM Schemes. Amazon also has a history of changing theirs. I have recently purchased and liberated nook books, which is why I do not understand why some are having problems doing so.

If my memory is correct, the current DRM scheme on Nook books was created by Adobe which they were making available to other users of their DRM scheme if they wanted it. I guess other companies saw no need to allow you to read nook books on their devices.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:25 PM   #232
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Are you aware how Adobe DRM works?
Every ADEPT compatible device logs into the Adobe servers to authenticate the license as either a sale or a rental and how many devices it has been downloaded to, if there is a limit.
The file only gets transfered, via PC or directly, after being authenticated by Adobe.

The Adobe tax is what it costs to license the authentication software and access the servers. The latter is an annual charge.

One result of that is that fixing errors can be the hardware people's job, the bookstore's job, or Adobe's. And it can make for a "fun" merry-go-round.

For library books, you might get something like this:

https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/0914.html

Bottom line, Nook pays Adobe to let their ereaders open ADEPT ebooks but don't sell ADEPT ebooks and don't make recurring revenues from the feature. All the costs, none of the profits.

Edit: By contrast, for people checking out library ebooks to Kindles, Overdrive still processes the library end but it is *Amazon* that sends out the book, from it's servers. I've never seen a definitive answer about whether Overdrive pays Amazon out of their profits for this service or whether Amazon pays Overdrive for providing the feature.
Regardless, Adobe doesn't get any money from Amazon.

Back when the Adobe tax mattered, it was one reason why Amazon ebook sale prices were cheaper.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-13-2020 at 04:46 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote