Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
How is reading progress calculated?

I'm guessing I must mess it up by frequently flipping back a page or two to remind myself who said what, or by leaving the book open until it falls asleep on its own when I take a break? Or does it include down time between reading sessions? Because if I check the time remaining it's always way too much. For example, in my current book I am on page 380 of 435 (kepub/screens) and if I open reading progress it says "3.3 hours to go". There's no way it would take me that long.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
If you mean the reading time you get from going into the menu from within a book there’s a bug right now with it which prevents it from updating until you go to the home screen and back in to the book.

As far as I know this bug does not affect the chapter and book progress displayed in the header and footer.

As to how it's calculated, I believe it's word count.

Last edited by MGlitch; 10-12-2019 at 03:16 PM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks - maybe it's the bug. I've only ever looked at the time remaining a few times in the few months I've had my Kobo and it never seemed right.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
mathil
Addict
mathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role modelmathil is a good role model

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra H2O, Kindle Paperwhite 3
These are two different things though, the progress page inside the book being 'frozen' doesn't have anything to do with it calculating the time left to read wrong - it would update normally in the header/footer and in the home page. With that said it works pretty well for me, as an estimate of course, but I don't go back to reread or leave the book open if I'm not reading - I just read and then put it into standby if I'm not using it.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
4691mls
Wizard

I don't have the time remaining showing in the footer - I accessed it through the menu.
Since the recent firmware change I've been using just the progress bar in the footer.

Last edited by 4691mls; 10-12-2019 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Advert
Old 10-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
These are two different things though, the progress page inside the book being 'frozen' doesn't have anything to do with it calculating the time left to read wrong - it would update normally in the header/footer and in the home page. With that said it works pretty well for me, as an estimate of course, but I don't go back to reread or leave the book open if I'm not reading - I just read and then put it into standby if I'm not using it.
It’s related if you don’t go to the home screen between reading sessions.

So let’s say you’re reading Book A it’s 100 pages you get to page 25 and then go and buy a book which requires you to go to the home screen now. You then return to reading Book A and read another 25 pages. You opt to check the reading status in the menu which is calculating from the point of the first 25 pages onwards rather than at the point of 50 pages which is where you are. This will show you have significantly longer to go than you actually do. And will present as a miscalculation when it’s really a correct calculation but with the wrong input.

As I noted that bug doesn’t affect the header or footer however 4691mls specifically mentioned opening reading status which makes me suspect they’re not using the header and footer to get the estimate but rather they are going for the display in the menus.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote