Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
droopy
Addict
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma. Laptop is Linux Mint
How can I create notes ("buy eggs & cheese") not tied to any one book?

How can I create notes that are not tied to any particular book? I may want to remember that I need to buy eggs the next time I'm at the grocery, and I don't want to have to touch my phone or laptop to do that.

Last edited by droopy; 10-16-2019 at 09:42 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
perisiana
Enthusiast
perisiana began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
You should take the e-reader with you to the supermarket because I don't think you can synchronize the notes, however there is the sketchpad in the beta features
perisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
droopy
Addict
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I take my Kobo wherever I go, so that won't be a problem

Hmmm... I don't see the sketchpad in beta. All I see in beta is the rudimentary browser.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The sketchbook isn't on newer devices.

Why not make a dummy ebook (say ToDo) which has one chapter / one page with multiple sentences (say multiple occurences of ToDo) and then add annotations to that boo
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
droopy
Addict

that's an idea. I'll try to create such a book on Calibre.

Update: On second thought, is there a patch that can have a "notepad" in its own category (i.e., not a book)? I don't want my reminders/tasklist to be lost in my 800 books. I'd like there to be a special section on my Home screen just for this ToDo/reminders_list.

Last edited by droopy; 10-10-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Advert
Old 10-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #6
ps67
Groupie
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Create a collection, something like "special" or what You want, so that "book" will be always the first of that collection
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #7
droopy
Addict

I may forget to check "Special" collection. Is there a way for a patch to always keep "Special" collection on the Home Screen, like, on the third (bottom) row?
Old 10-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #8
perisiana
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The sketchbook isn't on newer devices.

Why not make a dummy ebook (say ToDo) which has one chapter / one page with multiple sentences (say multiple occurences of ToDo) and then add annotations to that boo
And can't be enabled with a patch?
Old 10-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
perisiana
Enthusiast

Oh, or you can just use a random book for it, maybe always the same book, or a document with "grocery list" as title lol, and add your shopping list as annotations, so you can find and edit them every time.

Edit, I'm dumb, PeterT already proposed the thing

Last edited by perisiana; 10-10-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #10
droopy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by perisiana View Post
Oh, or you can just use a random book for it, maybe always the same book, or a document with "grocery list" as title lol, and add your shopping list as annotations, so you can find and edit them every time
but my problem is that I might forget that I have such a document or book with my notes. That is why I want something to be glaringly obvious at my home screen. Is there a way I could have a document or a book or a collection to always show on the home screen? Or to have a collection show only if there is text that I've added?
Old 10-10-2019, 11:54 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
but my problem is that I might forget that I have such a document or book with my notes. That is why I want something to be glaringly obvious at my home screen. Is there a way I could have a document or a book or a collection to always show on the home screen? Or to have a collection show only if there is text that I've added?
With a little SQL trickery, you can force one book to stay on the home screen. I don't think you can force a collection to stay. And only showing a collection if a book in it has an annotation is not something I even want to consider.

But, for the record, I think this is a pretty dumb idea. Get out your phone, search for "shopping list" apps (I'm using myShopi on my Android phone) and have a think about how much better the experience is overall. Yes, this is an opinion, it is against what you want to do, but, I do occasionally try to get people to think about what they are really doing and come up with a better way. And I simple shudder at the idea of walking around a supermarket carrying a Forma for a shopping list.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:56 PM   #12
droopy
Addict

Ok, DavidFor,
You persuaded me. I'll just have a pen and paper when i'm on my Kobo. Then transfer the data to my phone when my reading session is over.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:15 AM   #13
Semwize

Semwize will blow your mind, man!Semwize will blow your mind, man!Semwize will blow your mind, man!Semwize will blow your mind, man!Semwize will blow your mind, man!Semwize will blow your mind, man!Semwize will blow your mind, man!Semwize will blow your mind, man!Semwize will blow your mind, man!Semwize will blow your mind, man!Semwize will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kobo
droopy,
enable SKETCH PAD (patch 'Show all games')

As a variant: you can install Cool Reader - there is a notepad ...
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:16 AM   #14
droopy
Addict

semwize, okay, i'll enable that patch to show all games. thanks!
Old 10-11-2019, 12:32 AM   #15
droopy
Addict

semwiz,
i patched "All games" and now see Kobo sketch (aka Sketch Pad) under Menu>Settings>BetaFeatures.
Is there a way i can have Sketch Pad show up on my 3rd row? I want a one-tap path to taking notes, rather than tapping once for Menu, twice for Settings, thrice for BetaFeatures, and fries (four times!) for Sketch Pad.